OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Prospects Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Two rookies made the Habs out of camp: Nick Suzuki and Cale Fleury

Another, Ryan Poehling, only didn't make it because he got a concussion early in camp. He's playing in Laval for now.

Some more prospects in Laval: Josh Brook, Jake Evans, Cayden Primeau. To a lesser extent: Lukas Vejdemo, Otto Leskinen, David Sklenicka, Charlie Lindgren

Meanwhile, Pierre Lebrun is already reporting on how Marc Bergevin is working to extract Alex Romanov from CSKA for next season. Goes to show how highly the organization thinks of him, I suspect they'll offer him a starting job right away.

Elsewhere, Mattias Norlinder has 5 goals in 8 games in the Swedish B-league. Not bad for a skating defenceman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:05 pm 
Big in Japan

At the All-Star Break, the big three at centre are all up with the big club:

Nick Suzuki: 50-9-18-27 and generally looks like a top-6 guy on most nights. Really smart player
Jesperi Kotkaniemi: 35-6-2-8 was awful before going down with a groin injury. Been better since returning
Ryan Poehling: 23-1-0-1 started the season off with a concussion. Now playing a regular shift in the show and gaining confidence

Elsewhere, Caufield is leading Wisconsin in goals and points as a freshman, as expected.

Some positive marks for NCAA defencemen Jordan Harris and Jayden Struble. Struble especially has three really interesting tools: he skates, he hits and he shoots. Nordliner also gaining fans in Sweden, he's a puck mover.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I would love it if the Avs somehow swung a deal for Phil Danault, but he ain't gonna come cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I would love it if the Avs somehow swung a deal for Phil Danault, but he ain't gonna come cheap.

He's a UFA after next season, and based on age, mileage and progression, I think the one out of the group they ought to re-sign (moreso than Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Armia). That being said, Phil has the most trade value and is arguably the one guy they can replace internally if their centres pan out. I suspect Bergy will try to re-sign Danault, but if he were to dangle him now for maximum return, I'd ask for what they got for Pacioretty: ELC player, replacement/off-setting contract, draft pick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Even though Kotkaniemi and Suzuki have graduated, Scott Wheeler at the Athletic still has the Habs ranked #2 for prospects in the league.

Not surprisingly, Cole Caufield is no. 1.

No. 2 on that list might shock you: Northeastern LHD Jordan Harris. He does a lot of things well without excelling at one thing in particular.

Rest of the top 10:

Romanov
Struble
Poehling
Primeau
Norlinder
Ylonen
Brook
Hillis

In addition to Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Fleury, one would think Caufield, Poehling, Romanov will be full-time Habs next season. Primeau too if they can't find a better backup. Brook needs Laval time, and I think Ylonen and Hillis will be there too. Harris and Struble need more college time, Norlinder will stay in Sweden.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:01 pm 
OTP Historian

How's this guy been drafted already? Doesn't look like he's even gotten acne yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm 

He might also have trouble getting on some amusement park rides...dude's liiiitle.

But man is he ever fun to watch. I'm hoping he turns into a slicker, more skilled version of Brendan Gallagher.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 am 
Big in Japan

Habs walk away from this up and down season with Nick Suzuki as their best skater and 1st line centre, Jesperi Kotkaniemi back on the right track, Jake Evans as a competent NHL player, Cale Fleury on his way to being an NHL starting defenceman and Alex Romanov signed from Russia. All in all progress was made.

Next season, expect Poehling to keep working to establish himself and Cole Caufield making the jump from NCAA/OHL.

They've also got a few interesting defence prospects in Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Brook, Fairbrother.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Minutae of hockey expert Jack Han says Norlinder is going to be a star, and his play for MoDo isn't doing anything to dampen enthusiasm.

I'm trying to not get worked up about this overager, who probably can't play without the puck, but he's exactly what this team needs on offence from the backend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Kaiden Guhle is turning heads at Canada junior camp. Looks able to join the rush. I don't know how much of that is transferable to the pro game, but like Romanov, has a tantalizing mix of speed and physicality. It'll either work splendidly or the Habs will regret not banking on more skilled players.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:37 am 
Big in Japan

Cole Caufield is PPG in Wisconsin. Had COVID, I guess, but seems fine.

They'll probably let him hang in NCAA this year, but he'll be ready to grab a spot next season even if the right side is stacked with Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:12 am 
Big in Japan

Cole Caufield has 28 points in 18 games in Wisconsin. He'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:03 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Cole Caufield has 28 points in 18 games in Wisconsin. He'll be fine.

Dude is so much fun to watch. I think the teams that passed on him will come to regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Cole Caufield the first unanimous Big Ten player of the year. Led the NCAA in goals and points.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Defenceman Jordan Harris will return to Northeastern for his senior year. Not shutting the door on signing him, but if he does decide to go elsewhere, he'll have no shortage of suitors. Evolving into a reliable two-way defenceman.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Jesse Ylonen is lighting up Laval: 13 points in his first 17 games.

Another natural RW...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Cole Caufield signs after completely manhandling the NCAA in his sophomore season. He'll report to Laval and burn a year off his ELC no matter what, but it wouldn't shock me if pending UFA Joel Armia got shipped out to make room. Lehkonen too, maybe, but he's more useful as a 4th liner than Joel.

Either way, the Habs on the right side will lineup Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield for years to come. That's firepower.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:17 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Cole Caufield signs after completely manhandling the NCAA in his sophomore season. He'll report to Laval and burn a year off his ELC no matter what, but it wouldn't shock me if pending UFA Joel Armia got shipped out to make room. Lehkonen too, maybe, but he's more useful as a 4th liner than Joel.

Either way, the Habs on the right side will lineup Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield for years to come. That's firepower.

That USNTDP team was so insanely stacked. Hughes, Caufield, Boldy, Zegras, Turcotte, York, Knight, and so on. They would've won gold for sure if not for goddamn Askarov.

He's a little guy with more than a little edge, and while I don't consider him slow he isn't a real burner on skates like his old teammate Jack Hughes. He's not afraid to lay guys out with hits (mind you, this was in the USHL when I saw him do this, but it was still impressive to see him knock around guys much bigger than him) and get into the dirty areas of the ice. He has the perfect mentor in Brendan Gallagher to boot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:40 am 
Big in Japan

LD Mattias Norlinder signs a 3-year ELC. An overager drafted in the third round, he's a bit closer than we think. But he got hurt this year, rounded into form, and will likely need one more year in Frolunda before coming over. The good thing is, with one more season back home, the expectation is he can jump in the lineup in 2022.

He has a year left on his SHL deal, so it's Montreal or Sweden, no Laval. The right decision, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Prospect update:

Suzuki, Caufield, Poehling, Romanov have graduated.

Like Evans, Schueneman (LD) is an older prospect out of college but can imagine him being a regular once the vets get shipped out.

On the farm, Ylonen (RW) and Harvey-Pinard (LW) are the two guys who could probably step up soon. Ylonen especially has big league skating and release.

Fairbrother (LD) has gained the trust of coach Houle coming out of junior. No-nonsense type, can lay out a big hit. Bottom pairing potential.

Vejdemo's (LW) been hurt but I thought looked like a poor man's Lehkonen in his six game audition. I figure he'll return to Europe in the offseason if he doesn't get another chance.

Rem Pitlick (W) is still sorta young, good waiver pickup. MSL praised his defence, oddly enough. Likely G6 UFA at season's end, but his best opportunity is here.

Joshua Roy was a 16 yr old wunderkind who almost didn't get drafted, now he's the best player in the QMJHL. Late bloomer?

Jordan Harris has Hughes connections, should get signed and have an ELC year burned. Struble needs another year. Farrell played on the USA Olympic team. Another year in Harvard needed.

Norlinder didn't like getting stuck in Laval with injury, now back in Sweden where he got injured again. Lost season for him besides six games in the pros.

Dobes having a great year in NCAA, Dichow in Sweden. Big boys in goal. Primeau got rocked in the pros. Needs Laval time. Any of them a potential starter down the line?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next