OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Prospects Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:48 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I'd like to keep discussion on the Bulldogs players in the AHL thread, but here we can talk about the European/NCAA/major junior players. Even players in the ECHL if you feel the need.

I've listed the team's unsigned prospects and their current teams in the Depth Chart. I'll re-organize them here by league for a refresher:

Canadian Hockey League (includes QMJHL, OHL, WHL):

Jason Missiaen, G (18): 116th overall, 2008 - Peterborough (OHL)
Gabriel Dumont, C (18): 139th overall, 2009 - Drummondville (QMJHL)
Petteri Simila, G (19): 211th overall, 2009 - Niagara (OHL)

American Collegiate/Junior Hockey (includes NCAA and USHL):

David Fischer, D (20): 20th overall, 2006 - Minnesota (WCHA)
Joe Stejskal, D (20): 133rd overall, 2007 - Dartmouth (ECAC)
Scott Kishel, D (19): 192nd overall, 2007 - Minnesota-Duluth (WCHA)
Danny Kristo, RW (18): 56th overall, 2008 - North Dakota (WCHA)
Steve Quailer, RW (19): 86th overall, 2008 - Northeastern (HE)
Greg Pateryn, D (18): 128th overall, 2008 by Toronto - Michigan (CCHA)
Patrick Johnson, C (19): 206th overall, 2008 - Wisconsin-Madison (WCHA)
Louis Leblanc, C (18): 18th overall, 2009 - Harvard (ECAC)
Mac Bennett, D (18): 79th overall, 2009 - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
Dustin Walsh, C (18): 169th overall, 2009 - Dartmouth (ECAC)
Micahel Cichy, C (18): 199th overall, 2009 - North Dakota (WCHA)

Kontinental Hockey League:

Konstantin Korneev, D (24): 275th overall, 2002 - CSKA Moscow (KHL)
Alexei Emelin, D (22): 84th overall, 2004 - Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)
Maxim Trunev, C (18): 138th overall, 2008 - Cherepovets (KHL)
Alexander Avtsyn, RW (18): 109th overall, 2009 - Dynamo Moscow (KHL)
Alexander Perezhogin, LW (24): 2007 RFA - Ufa (KHL)

European Professional (includes SEL, SM-Liga, DEL, etc.):

Nichlas Torp, D (19): 163rd overall, 2007 - HV71 (SEL)
Joonas Nattinen, C (18): 65th overall, 2009 - Espoo (SM-Liiga)
Andreas Engqvist, C (21): undrafted free agent signing, 2009 - Djurgardens IF (SEL)
Marvin Degon, D (24): 2008 RFA - Wolfsburg (DEL)
Janne Lahti, LW (25): 2008 RFA - Jokerit (FNL)

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

Post subject: Re: Prospects Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 pm 

Anyways... good news for Jason Missainen. The Petes have traded Trevor Cann to London. Cann was the starter last year, and is a Colorado draft pick. The Petes are not looking to compete this season, so they dealt Cann, who is likely to turn professional next season and kickstarted the Missainen era.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ ... ?e=1284791

Bad news, however, for Olivier Fortier. He's injured and out for 8 weeks.

http://www.lavantage.qc.ca/200811053204 ... aines.html

Basic recap of some players so far:
Subban - over a point per game so far
McDonaugh - struggling defensively on a weak Wisconsin team
Fischer - seems to be having a breakthrough year
Kristo - currently at Junior A Challenge in Camrose for Team USA, with 4 points in 2 games
Perezhogin - has 17 goals in 23 KHL games so far, and 2 goals in 2 Champions League games. His contract with Ufa expires at the end of this season.
Emelin - a statistical disappointment, but outside of international competition, that's never been his forte anyways. Also has an expiring contract.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:23 pm 

http://habsinsideout.com/main/12043

McDonagh and Kristo make Team USA for the U-20 World Juniors in Ottawa later this month. Subban is expected to return for Team Canada. Other possibilities at the tourney include Trunev (Russia), Torp (Sweden), and Mayer (Switzerland). Actually, I'm not sure if Switzerland qualified for this year's tourney... they were at last year's, I know (both Mayer and Yannick Weber played on that team).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=260582& ... lines_main

TSN.ca weighs in with our top-12 prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:45 pm 

Habs Prospects at 2009 WJHC

Ryan McDonagh, Danny Kristo - Team USA
P.K. Subban - Team Canada
Nichlas Torp - Team Sweden

Saw the Sweden-Canada exhibition game and I must say that I can see how Torp got drafted... he definitely makes his presence known. He's a vigilante out there... he hits with no restraints and no regards for the opponent's situation. He'll leave his feet, board them, come full speed at them... in short, he's going to get killed if he doesn't watch himself. If he comes to the AHL down the line, he'll have to defend himself. I've heard he plays a lot like Bouillon... but Bouillon was never this reckless. We'll see if it was just excessive adrenaline from playing at the ACC on Canadian TV for his country or if it's pretty typical of him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Did you see Torp hitting on the dancing heckling Canadian chick when he was in the penalty box? I'm really digging Torp.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 pm 
Big in Japan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:46 pm 

http://www.thespec.com/article/491269

Hamilton Spectator article on the 4 Habs prospects at the WJC's. Buzz is that with obviously Subban turning pro, McDonagh will as well next year and Nichlas Törp wants to come over as well. Could be a HUGE influx of d-men next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:07 pm 

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2009/ ... nboy-suspe

Montreal prospect Andrew Conboy has been suspended by the NCAA for the remainder of the season for a hit from behind. I haven't had a good look at the clip yet so I can't tell how bad it was. Instead of accepting the suspension and continuing to take classes, he's apparently dropping out and looking to turn pro. Yippee.

He could be signed by Hamilton/Cincinatti here in the near future with a real contract to follow in the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 pm 

BTW, Conboy now has been signed by Hamilton to a 2 way, AHL-ECHL deal. The Habs haven't signed him yet but he has officially gone from amateur to professional and is being developed by Habs coaches and playing with Habs prospects.

He's turned pro way too early for my liking, so I have no idea how he'll pan out. Unfortunately there weren't any options since it was his own choice to quit college. Dude only had 5 points in 21 career NCAA matches, but he's a potential goon so who knows. I don't know if it's worthy giving him an official NHL contract starting next year or not, I guess the Habs are trying to figure that out as well and see how he does in the ECHL for the remainder of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:00 pm 

Conboy now signed to a 3 year entry level deal, which is essentially a 2 year deal since the current season counts as 1 of them.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269480& ... dlines_nhl

Waste of one of the 50 contracts you're allowed, if you ask me. Guy seems like he'll be a low level pro at best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:45 am 

Rumour has it that Trevor Timmins is scouting in Russia currently, and is catching up with Konstantin Korneev, who will turn 25 this summer. He's one of the top defenders in Russia right now, and has a legitimate shot at making their Olympic squad. His contract with CSKA expires at year end. He's a small, puckmoving blueliner who was a 9th rounder for the Habs back in 2002. With all the turmoil in the KHL, a 30% salary rollback, and uncertain future, the NHL might lure some of these types over.

There's one or two openings on the Habs' back end heading into next year, and adding a legit NHL quality puckmover on an entry level contract would be a very good thing. The Habs supposedly had talks with Korneev last year during the World Championships in Quebec, but no negotiations as he was under contract at the time.

No word on whether he's seriously scouting either Emelin or Perezhogin, who both have expiring KHL contracts as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 am 
Big in Japan

All three of them would be great options for 09-10.

Can Korneev do what Mark Streit did for us? I'm assuming he's a similar-type d-man.

Is Emelin as physical and as nasty as we've seen in international competition and in some rather awesome YouTube vids?

I think Paris Hilton looked pretty good in his cup of tea with the Habs. Physically speaking he probably wasn't ready for prime time but I thought he acquitted himself quite well - at least gave the impression he could be a solid NHL player.

Remember the Zinovjev and Morozov rumours that were floating around before? Nothing preventing us from going after one of them either.

I'm not saying we pick up every available Ruskie, but scouting Russia is an excellent idea for acquiring talent for nothing more than cash. I think this guy is a free agent too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:44 am 

E.L. wrote:
All three of them would be great options for 09-10.

Can Korneev do what Mark Streit did for us? I'm assuming he's a similar-type d-man.

Is Emelin as physical and as nasty as we've seen in international competition and in some rather awesome YouTube vids?

I think Paris Hilton looked pretty good in his cup of tea with the Habs. Physically speaking he probably wasn't ready for prime time but I thought he acquitted himself quite well - at least gave the impression he could be a solid NHL player.

Remember the Zinovjev and Morozov rumours that were floating around before? Nothing preventing us from going after one of them either.

I'm not saying we pick up every available Ruskie, but scouting Russia is an excellent idea for acquiring talent for nothing more than cash. I think this guy is a free agent too.

Guess what your boy did to Emelin?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 pm 
Big in Japan

I think this was the fight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:29 pm 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=271827& ... dlines_nhl

Rimouski C Olivier Fortier has been signed to a 3 year entry level deal, starting next year. If Rimouski gets eliminated from the QMJHL playoffs in the first two rounds, he'll likely join Hamilton for their playoff run.

Fortier was picked 65th overall in 2007. He's a legit prospect in my books, and could be a good defensive centre down the line. He had a setback this year with a major injury of some kind (don't know what) but kept up a point per game pace when healthy.

He's one of those guys I've had a "gut feeling for" right from the draft. Here's a summary of those guys since 2002:

2002:

Higgins - easy call, definitely a NHLer despite the unfortunate history with the last Higgins we picked in 1st round
Ferland - missed on this one a little. Looked legit for several years before stagnating at AHL level.
Korneev - developed the gut feeling upon the WJC's, not right from the draft. He might come over this summer.

2003:

Lapierre - seemed like a bonfaide NHLer from the get go. Liked him immediately.
O'Byrne - boy, he sounded like a find right from the draft. Huge, good mobility, going to a good collegiate program... definitely thought he projected well.
Oskari Korpikari - sounded good at the time. Figured with a name like that, he'd make it. Didn't happen, though he's apparently a pretty solid Finnish pro.
Halak - I wanted to see him play, but late round goalies always catch my eye. Liked him from the '04 WJCs on, definitely more than Lindberg, the other goalie we took that draft.

For the record, I liked that we picked Kostitsyn, because it was a home run swing. I also really liked Getzlaf. We didn't make a bad pick, but man... option 2 became so much better than we could've imagined.

2004:

Chipchura - was lobbying for Green or Chipchura, looks like they made the wrong choice for sure here. Still, I liked this pick, and still like the player.

I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from this draft. I didn't know what to make of Emelin although Timmins loved him. Grabovski was out of left field, Wyman was a huge project, Stewart didn't seem like anything at all at the time and Streit could've gone either way. I didn't like this class, and we've likely already gotten rid of the two best players from it (Streit and Grabovski). It actually is a good draft, just not that productive for us in the long haul.

2005:

Latendresse - after bitching about the Price pick, it was nice to hear we got Gui in Round 2. Was shocked he was available, and still am.
D'Agostini - Sounded like he was a riser/late developer. Great pick.

2006:

Maxwell - Was a first round talent still available in Round 2, and a C. Feared he might be soft, though.
Carle - Liked this pick at the time, although he's pretty much flatlined as a sophmore in the AHL.

2007:

McDonagh - Laughed to myself when they made this pick. Everyone thought/feared Espo was coming, but not me. Thought this was the route they'd go and was not disappointed.
Subban - Won everyone over with his post-draft interview. Hasn't lost any fans since.
Fortier - I quite liked this draft, though that Pacioretty pick seemed out there. Fortier reminded me of Lapierre, so I liked it.
Weber - Always like the offensive d-men. Just wish they had went this route in Round 1 in 2004.

'07 looks like a freaking amazing draft.

2008:

???

I didn't have a "guy" from that draft. I guess Missiaen because of his ridiculous height. Trunev sounds talented. Kristo sounds like a lot of guys we've had before. A wait and see draft for sure, and it'll be 4-5 years before we know anything about these guys.

Pretty good record on my gut feelings. Now that I think of it, I think I also liked Michael Lambert in 2002, that didn't work out. Corey Locke I figured something had to be wrong with him, but thought was good given how late he was picked. I also quite liked Yann Danis when we signed him as a UFA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:04 pm 

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?serv ... eid=418438

Big shocker: Habs sign undersized Q forward!

His name is Dany Masse, and he's on the top line in the league, amassing a ridiculous amount of points in Drummondville's playoff run. He's on the same line as Leafs prospect/Team Canada alum Chris DiDomenco. Each member of that line (Yannick Riendeau is the other) is averaging over 3 points a game in the playoffs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=80465

Just read that Riendeau signed with Boston a couple weeks back. So the line is a Hab, a Maple Leaf, and a Bruin. That's kind of funny. Together, they're magic, but in reality they truly hate each other.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:55 am 

Well, only the Cincinatti Cyclones are still playing as far as Habs affiliated franchises go, and various Habs players are now at the World Championships (Plekanec, Halak, Weber off the top of my head). I think Fortier and Masse are the only two junior level prospects still playing as well.

According to Mathias Brunet, the Habs are in talks with Perezhogin and Emelin, hoping the sinking RSL economy will lure them to North America:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/?p=1089

Some other prospect notes in there on some Bulldogs, from the mouth of Hamilton GM Julien Brisebois: Desharnais, Trotter, Russel and Conboy. No word on whether the team is trying to sign Konstantin Korneev, but I think they should.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:30 pm 
Big in Japan

I've heard Conboy's physically ready and he might be able to crack the big club at some point next season. I know that sounds strange, but he's a decent skating big guy who hits people recklessly and is prone to going haywire on the ice. He'd be one of those types.

The Gazoo has a piece this morn on LSL Lions prod Louis Leblanc. This guy is yet another Bergeron, Giroux, Perron - the type of player that falls right between our fingers. Considering he's going to Harvard and plays in the USHL, this time Timmins might not miss him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm 

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/273878.html

RDS says that Perezhogin is planning on staying in Russia. Also, Sergei Kostitsyn is having minor shoulder surgery.

Today (April 30) is like June 30 for the KHL... the day the contracts expire. So far, none of Yemelin, Korneev, or Perezhogin have re-signed. Trunev and Valentenko have contracts for next year already in place... but they had to take paycuts. So we'll be hearing news on these guys shortly. Maybe Perezhogin hasn't seen what the offers will be for his services in the KHL yet. We'll see.

May 1 is the next deadline, and that's for junior aged players that need to be signed or else they re-enter the draft (called Group I RFA's). P.K. Subban is the lone Hab prospect that qualifies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next