OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck this team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:34 am 
Big in Japan

Nic Deslauriers scored a hat trick for the Ducks last night, the fastest in team history.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://theathletic.com/1668894/2020/03 ... ed-article

Basu with a good piece on the "Rookie Wall," something Claude Julien believes is a thing, but Nick Suzuki does not.

Sure lends itself to the belief that Julien is not great with young players.

Quote:
“I know I haven’t had a point in a while, but I think any player will go through kind of ups and downs through a season,” he said Tuesday morning. “I think I’ve been playing pretty good hockey, I just haven’t found the scoresheet. Just coming at each game as a new opportunity, so just looking forward.”

What did Suzuki do a few hours after saying that? Playing on a line with Artturi Lehkonen and Jordan Weal, Suzuki had his best game in weeks. It was almost as if he took a sledgehammer to that wall.

With Suzuki on the ice at five-on-five, the Canadiens controlled 81.8 percent of the shots. By that metric alone, it was Suzuki’s best game of the season. But it was more than just numbers. There was tangible evidence that he had no interest in being labeled and defined by this intangible notion of a wall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 am 
Big in Japan

Lots of smoke around the Habs being close to signing forward Konstantin Okulov, who is Romanov's teammate in Russia.

Known as an ok sized perimetre forward who passes well. Not a standout guy but could be another Lehkonen middle 6 type.

Things are a little quieter about them signing former Wing and Romanov's defence partner Alexey Marchenko, but the Habs could certainly use depth on the right side if Folin doesn't return.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs re-sign D Gustav Olofsson. He's always hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:03 am 
Big in Japan

Habs sign former second rounder Jesse Ylonen, a slick skating second generation pro. Always room for a righthanded shot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Eric Engels of Sportsnet let it slip it's a foregone conclusion Kovalchuk will be back. I think with the season fucked Kovalchuk might prefer to return to Washington to win a cup, but I'm sure the Habs will try.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:07 pm 
Big in Japan

All but official Romanov will come over.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:12 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

And Markov officially retires.

https://www.tsn.ca/former-montreal-cana ... -1.1467121

Says he would have loved to hit the 1000 game mark with the Habs.

I really wish he could have played one more season with the Habs. Going to miss him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:34 pm 
OTP Clown

I agree.

He was truly a great player.

I wanted him to win a cup, retire a hab, hall of fame, jersey in the roof.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:25 pm 
Big in Japan

The word underrated gets thrown around a lot, but in this case, Andrei Markov was underrated. An elite defenceman rarely regarded as such outside of Montreal.

From that era, outside of Lidstrom I think the most trustworthy blueliner you could find. You always knew he was going to make the right decision. Had a couple of seasons wiped out by knee surgery, wonder if he could've become a hall of fame possibility.

Although I'm sad he never came back to play 1000, I'm also kinda glad he was a lifelong Hab.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It just feels beyond criminal that Bergevin dicked around with him, tried some half-assed last minute offer, and then didn't even use the cap room on anything else worthwhile. I'm still at a loss as to why that man's still employed. Guess Molson is easily impressed by well-dressed men with barrel chests and egos to match.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Markov should have been kept on the Habs. Great player. But I'm mainly here to see the best thread on OTP hit 40 pages. I think we should have a birthday or anniversary party for it this summer. It's old enough and it's earned it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am 
Big in Japan

Habs sign KHL goalie Vasili Demchenko. He's 26, lanky, up and down numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:55 pm 

E.L. wrote:

I thought KHL contracts didn't expire until 4/30. That's when the Isles can sign Sorokin. Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I thought KHL contracts didn't expire until 4/30. That's when the Isles can sign Sorokin. Weird.

It's because he was never drafted. Same with Barbanov in TO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:02 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It's because he was never drafted. Same with Barbanov in TO.

Gotcha. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:12 pm 
Big in Japan

The Canadiens agree to terms on a two-year, entry-level contract with forward Arsen Khisamutdinov. Overage draft pick.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs miss out on Jokerit defenceman Mikko Lehtonen. The search for a powerplay defenceman continues.

Something has to give on the left side, where they have Chiarot, Kulak, Mete as incumbents with Romanov set to sign.

The Habs have guys playing out of place: Chiarot played surprisingly well as a 1 but is probably a 2. Kulak and Mete are 3s. Romanov may not be ready but even if he clicks they shouldn't give him monster minutes right away.

That leaves them with a 2 and three 3s and Leskinen/Alzner. I think they'll trade Kulak, who's decently priced as a bottom pairing guy, or Mete if they can get a legit 2 in a package move.

What does Domi and Mete fetch them?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs sign 2018 draft pick Cam Hillis, meaning in all likelihood Allan McShane, Samuel Houde and Cole Fonstad from that draft will go unsigned. Hillis projects as an AHL guy who might be coachable enough to get into a few NHL games. Jordan Harris, defenceman in college, remains the crown jewel of that glut of 2018 picks.

Weep not for that draft: they took Kotkaniemi 3rd, second rounder Ylonen, Romanov and Hillis are signed and Harris will eventually. Gorniak and Stapley are also still in NCAA and could take a step forward. Timmins needed some homeruns and he might have hit a couple.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Domi article in the Athletic where he diplomatically says he'll do what he's asked, but in a perfect world wants an extension and wants to play centre.

When he was good in 2018-19, he really stirred the drink. Talent, speed, attitude and a pain to play against. In 2019-20, he was distracted an ineffective. Pretty clear he's better at centre and better with Drouin, who didn't play much this season.

So what do you do, double down on proven players Drouin and Domi, or give way to the young guys and deal pending RFA Domi for help elsewhere? It's a tough call: I think Suzuki will be a better centre than Domi, and Danault will be re-signed. Will Kotkaniemi and Poehling take over eventually? You'd think so, but you don't necessarily want to go with them as your only option.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next