OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Minny will pay some big penalties to make their two lifers go away: 15M in years 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

They get great cap savings next season, then they're fucked the next three years. Kind of insane that they'd be doing this, but both players really aren't franchise cornerstones anymore, Parise especially.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
They get great cap savings next season, then they're fucked the next three years. Kind of insane that they'd be doing this, but both players really aren't franchise cornerstones anymore, Parise especially.

Sounds like Parise became a real whiner and locker room distraction as his role diminished. I'd assume Suter was in the same boat, and they decided it was better to cut bait and start fresh with their new star Kaprizov. Guerin is a legend for pulling the trigger, regardless of how it pans out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:17 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Rumors abound that Parise will be signing with the Isles; Lou supposedly came very close to getting him at the trade deadline 2 years ago. I hope that isn't true, unless of course he signs for close to league minimum since the Wild will be paying him. Lou drafted him with the Devils and Trotz sure loves vets. It just seems like it's foretold. I don't think it would :chairshot: end well, but that's being an Isles fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Parise would basically replace Palmieri, who's probably too expensive to re-sign.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:53 pm 

Parise's underlying numbers were less-than-impressive, and someone on Twitter pointed out that Suter really wasn't all that much more impactful than Keith this season, but his numbers didn't take nearly as bad a hit because Minny has decent depth and good goaltending.

I'll miss making fun of those two albatross contracts. The best one was when the Wylde got their asses handed to them by the Avs and they got stuck in Denver because their plane had malfunctioned, someone quipped they signed the plane for 7 more years and $49 million. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Since taking over Guerin has shipped out Zucker, Dubnyk and now Parise/Suter.

Not afraid to tear this team down mid-flight. Really rooting for his aggressive moves to pay off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Since taking over Guerin has shipped out Zucker, Dubnyk and now Parise/Suter.

Not afraid to tear this team down mid-flight. Really rooting for his aggressive moves to pay off.

For obvious reasons, I'm not, though I do really like Kaprizov.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:20 pm 

I didn't realize their contracts had such a back dive. I was thinking if Parise got a bunch of money from the buyout that he'd at least go to the Isles cheaply, but he's only going to get like $867k each year from the buyout. He's not going to sign a league minimum type deal like most guys who were bought out. So F that. I'd prefer Palmieri over him if the terms are anywhere near each other.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:46 pm 

Oh boy someone summarized the Russo articles surrounding this and I simply MUST read them now. The gist of it is that Guerin called Suter first and it went to voicemail, then called Parise, who apparently took the news well, even seemed a bit relieved. He then called Suter, who noted that he missed a call from Guerin. Guerin calls Suter right then while the two of them were still on the phone with one another--Suter picks up to learn he too has been bought out, and promptly loses his shit, hangs up on Guerin.

I love me some juicy offseason drama...so long as it's someone else's team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:42 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

I love me some juicy offseason drama...so long as it's someone else's team.

Yep!