OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patr ... to-change/

This is horrible. I remember one kid I coached got constantly berated by his stepfather, who happened to be one of the other assistants. The kid was quite talented and his game subsequently fell apart. He'd be around his late 20s now, I hope things got better for him and that he found happiness either in or out of hockey. Of course what that guy did to his stepson isn't anywhere near as bad as that POS John O'Sullivan did to his kid.

Once again I should count my blessings. I was never an elite talent by any means and knew that early on--but I had a hockey dad who was the best kind of hockey dad, who actually gave a shit about all the kids, not just me. In fact, most of my teammates had pretty awesome parents. I'm still good friends with a few of my old teammates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:14 am 

When asked if he'd ever consider playing in Europe or staging a comeback:

Quote:
No the desire to play left me a long time ago. I played half my career without being mentally engaged.

https://twitter.com/realPOSULLIVAN/stat ... 6935155712

Couldn't find the tweet where he says Alex Burrows said to him something like "I'll beat you worse than your father did" but what a POS. I get that it's his job to get under his opponents' skin but I kinda wish someone had broken his jaw afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:36 am 

Av-merican wrote:
When asked if he'd ever consider playing in Europe or staging a comeback:

Quote:
No the desire to play left me a long time ago. I played half my career without being mentally engaged.

https://twitter.com/realPOSULLIVAN/stat ... 6935155712

Couldn't find the tweet where he says Alex Burrows said to him something like "I'll beat you worse than your father did" but what a POS. I get that it's his job to get under his opponents' skin but I kinda wish someone had broken his jaw afterwards.

Yea, I think Alex is going to have to come clean and apologize this time. When it was Tootoo complaining about him mocking his dead brother we gave Burrow's a pass as we didn't trust Tootoo, now with Sullivan speaking up it lends credibility to Tootoo. I know Sullivan said that first comment was in the AHL, not sure about the timing of the second comment in the NHL.

With what Burrows saw of Ryan Rypien and what the organization and team mates did to support Ryan before and after his death you'd think he would be a lot more aware and sensitive regarding suicide and what he said to Tootoo. As a 24 year old I can give Burrows a bit of a pass with Sullivan, young and doing whatever he could to make it to the NHL. A 34 year old mocking suicide is too far over the line.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:06 pm 

http://www.tsn.ca/burrows-broke-nhl-s-trash-talking-code-with-o-sullivan-1.411062

This is a good read.

Quote:
But there is a ‘clean’ way to talk trash. As one NHL player once said: “Mothers, wives and girlfriends are fair game. Kids and pets are not.”

I appreciate that Burrow's apologized but its still pretty pathetic. And I have doubts regarding his Tootoo denial.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:47 pm 
OTP Historian

Burrows has never played the game in a way that would give him the benefit of the doubt in most situations...The O'Sullivan situation is unforgivable and inexcusable regardless of the extent of the abuse, hell even whether it actually happened or not(which it obviously did with O'Sullivan), or what age Burrows was at the time. Same with Tootoo and his brother.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:12 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Burrows has never played the game in a way that would give him the benefit of the doubt in most situations...The O'Sullivan situation is unforgivable and inexcusable regardless of the extent of the abuse, hell even whether it actually happened or not(which it obviously did with O'Sullivan), or what age Burrows was at the time. Same with Tootoo and his brother.

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:38 pm 

I always want to punch people who apologize by saying "I'm sorry if you were offended." Really? Anyone would be offended, Alex, turn down the slimeball factor for just a moment and really think about this.