OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It may just be me, but I swear, for all his talent, Ryan Suter might be one of the worst 1-on-1 defenders in the league. Didn't anyone teach him to watch the logo to avoid falling for any dekes?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 pm 

So, your team is sputtering down the stretch and is in danger of missing the playoffs, so naturally you take out two of your more talented young players (Granlund, Zucker) and replace them with two talentless scrubs (Veilleux, Dowell). That'll fix things. :doh: :roll:

How the hell Stephane Veilleux is even in North American professional hockey is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Looking at fancy stats.... Charlie Coyle is a scary, scary beast and the world's future may be altered as a result.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 pm 

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/ ... =y&refer=y

Forgot to post Russo's post-mortem. The Wylde have yet another big offseason ahead of them, except this time they don't have a ton of cap space to address their needs.

The Wylde need to get bigger and faster though? The new additions didn't address that?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Everyone needs to get bigger and faster. Every year.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

You know what this team really needs? A top 3 forward & a top 2 D-man. I think they should sign them to something crazy, like 13 year deals! They'd be unstoppable with 2 players like that!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

saskhab wrote:
Everyone needs to get bigger and faster. Every year.

Don't forget "tougher" too.

And on deadline day, "everyone has improved but [team I like]!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/211976351.html

Well, Canuckleheads, take solace in the fact that the Wylde may actually be in far worse shape cap-wise than your team is. The only team that might be in even worse shape is Philadelphia.

Basically, the team doesn't have a starting goalie under contract and only has around $6 million to play with. They even have to deal with a bonus overage that counts against next season's cap.

Ironic that two guys who were traded for one another (Havlat and Heatley) can't be bought out because they're hurt.

Philly or Dallas should've waited and tried to snag Jared Spurgeon or waited for Tom Gilbert to be bought out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:35 pm 

I just don't get it. The Wylde jettison players who aren't working out and go and get the exact same player. Dump Gilbert, sign Ballard. Dump Clutterbuck, sign Matt Cooke.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... esota-wild

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:46 pm 

Thirsty? Have some Zenon Konopka wine!

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/3 ... 54/photo/1

Ironically, proceeds go to concussion research.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:03 pm 

Despite some insanely high possession numbers, the Wylde are 22nd in the league in scoring, including 5 goals on their current 4-game road trip. Matt Cooke is tied for the team lead with 6 points.

That'll probably turn around soon, but it seems odd they're struggling so mightily to score with the talent they have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 am 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:
That'll probably turn around soon, but it seems odd they're struggling so mightily to score with the talent they have.

Team may just lack fire power, decent collection but not sure they have that game breaking threat. Names like Heatley and Parise sound sexy but they are a long time removed from being top of the league scoring threats, Hell heatley just sucks now. Koivu seems to be a sixty point guy for a full season and Pominville similar looking at the last few years. Then Neiderettasomething and Granlund are young and who knows what you got.

Note: Think Parise is a really good player just do not think he has another PPG type season in him

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm 

Funny enough, Minny has all this salary going to Parise/Koivu/Suter, and yet they don't have (arguably) their two most important players at their disposal. Brodin is recovering from a broken cheekbone suffered last night, and Charlie Coyle is still working his way back.

Harding has been amazing for them--hopefully for Yeo's sake he continues to be so.

I shouldn't be surprised, but surprised nonetheless at just how bad a player Dany Heatley has become.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:30 am 

Coyle back, so Yeo is trying new lines:

Parise - Coyle - Fontaine/Heatley
Cooke - Granlund - Pominville
Brodziak - Koivu - Niederreiter

Why are they using Coyle as a center? I thought he was a wing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
Coyle back, so Yeo is trying new lines:

Parise - Coyle - Fontaine/Heatley
Cooke - Granlund - Pominville
Brodziak - Koivu - Niederreiter

Why are they using Coyle as a center? I thought he was a wing?

Coyle played wing for them most of last year but they planned to shift him to center this year due to the Pomminville acquisition. I think he played center in college and junior but not sure.

From watching highlights it looks like Granlund and Pomminville are really clicking. Grandlund is a slick passer and makes some great plays, they should try putting Parise with them, could be a dominant line.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:00 pm 

Am I the only one who thinks Parise has taken a big step back since his NJ days? I can't imagine it's a huge step down from Travis friggin' Zajac to Mikko Koivu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:12 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Parise has taken a big step back since his NJ days? I can't imagine it's a huge step down from Travis friggin' Zajac to Mikko Koivu.

His GPG,APG, PPG last season was in line with his career norms. Don't know about his possession numbers. Assists and points are down this season but it's fairly early and Minny's offensive numbers are lower than what you'd expect based on their possession numbers.

He's 29 years old too. Isn't common for players to start to decline around this age anyways?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:59 pm 

Bosc wrote:
He's 29 years old too. Isn't common for players to start to decline around this age anyways?

Not really. I always thought players only started hitting the wall as they approached 35. Sakic had his best season by far at 31.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:15 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Not really. I always thought players only started hitting the wall as they approached 35. Sakic had his best season by far at 31.

For a wall at 35 that might be superstars, or big stars and I guess your expectations would be where you figure Parise lies in those groups. But the decline likely starts earlier.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/1/2 ... e-peak-age

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

His contract sort of screams I'M A SUPER FUCKING STAR to me, but I have high expectations of people (totally not true).

Most player's physical abilities start to dip around 28-32, but they should be getting smarter, and therefore have better numbers with less flashy moves. He needs to figure this out, and he will. He's a smart kid.

Could also be one of those things like "I got my huge contract. F it. I don't really need to kill myself anymore."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next