OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Watched these guys slaughter the Habs and I have no idea how they got this good this fast.

Yeah, Kaprizov is the biggest reason. But they have so many tenacious puck possession guys: Dumba, Spurgeon, Mats, Fiala, Boldy, Greenway, Eriksson Ek even Sturm looked decent. Hartman finally has a home.

I think Guerin was smart to identify who wasn't part of the program and shipping them out. Parise/Suter will hurt the cap, but Zucker was a funny fit and he's better off elsewhere.

I don't know if they're contenders long-term, but they've figured out who works here and who doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:51 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
The rumor I'm reading is Fiala and Dumba to Vancouver for J.T. Miller, which might actually benefit the Canucks.

Yes, please.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Jordan Greenway gets 3M AAV for 3 years.

Fancy stats considers him an offensive black hole, but he seems to work here, especially with Eriksson Ek and Foligno.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

After trading for Nic Deslauriers last year and losing him, Billy Guerin decides what the middling Wylde need is MOAR GOONAGE and opts to acquire Ryan Reaves for a 5th rounder.

Reaves had been a healthy scratch the last few games in NY and reportedly requested a trade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 am 
Big in Japan

7x7 extension for Matthew Boldy. Only two years left of Parise and Suter really screwing the cap! Time flies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:47 pm 

The Wylde are in pretty big trouble. They obviously had playoff aspirations, maybe more, but look more and more like a team that's going to miss the playoffs. Since Kevin Fiala was dealt they've been one of the worst teams in the league in terms of even-strength production, and Dean Evason has healthy scratched Calen Addison for a couple games after a few defensive gaffes. Also not helping is the fact that Marc-Andre Fleury has looked every bit of his 38 years lately.

That said, Kirill Kaprizov still looks like a top-five talent in the league. Guys like Makar and McDavid may be faster but I'm not sure there's anyone who skates more fluidly. He can just coast around the attacking zone in any direction with the puck on his stick and seemingly not even need to take a stride to maintain speed. It'll be a shame if Minnesota's rather...unique approach to cap management bites them in the arse. I'll also be stunned if this season somehow ends with Evason's firing (I don't think it will) since they essentially chose him over Fiala.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
He can just coast around the attacking zone in any direction with the puck on his stick and seemingly not even need to take a stride to maintain speed.

That's what Paul Coffey used to look like skating. Guy used to look like he was somehow gaining speed while gliding.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:59 pm 

God, I fucking hate these guys. I cannot believe they're one point away from taking over the division despite a massive dead cap hit and underachievers all over the damned roster except for one guy...but that's the only who matters because Kirill Kaprizov is somehow able to singlehandedly will his team to wins. It also helps the Western Conference is a festering shit-pile.

Wylde get an old friend back in Marcus Johansson, and also throw a nothing pick at Lumbus for Gustav Nyquist. Something tells me ol' Billy Boy ain't done either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:07 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
God, I fucking hate these guys. I cannot believe they're one point away from taking over the division despite a massive dead cap hit and underachievers all over the damned roster except for one guy...but that's the only who matters because Kirill Kaprizov is somehow able to singlehandedly will his team to wins. It also helps the Western Conference is a festering shit-pile.

Wylde get an old friend back in Marcus Johansson, and also throw a nothing pick at Lumbus for Gustav Nyquist. Something tells me ol' Billy Boy ain't done either.

I hate them now. Ryan frigging Reaves scored. :fffffuck: Isles outplayed them the whole night but as usual, couldn't score.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:17 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I hate them now. Ryan frigging Reaves scored. :fffffuck: Isles outplayed them the whole night but as usual, couldn't score.

That's the other thing. Fleury has been struggling but somehow it doesn't matter because the backup goalie they traded for (and really, they didn't want him, they were essentially forced to trade him because Cam Talbot wanted out), Filip Gustavsson, has turned into goddamn Henrik Lundqvist. Like...come on!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Not really sure why the Sens originally gave Filip Gustavsson away, but now he's the guy in Minny and signed an extension.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:54 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Not really sure why the Sens originally gave Filip Gustavsson away, but now he's the guy in Minny and signed an extension.

Not to mention that things blew up even worse with Cam Talbot in Ottawa than they did with Matt Murray.

Pierre Dorion has a rep for eyeing talent (at least in terms of drafting and development, though that may be a bit exaggerated) but holy shit he doesn't know jack shit on how to handle goalies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:50 pm 
Big in Japan

MAF isn't allowed to wear a helmet for Native American Heritage Night, but the Blackhawks logo is A-OK. Once again the NHL gets it wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
MAF isn't allowed to wear a helmet for Native American Heritage Night, but the Blackhawks logo is A-OK. Once again the NHL gets it wrong.

As is often the case, "its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission". MAF was willing to pay whatever the fine was, but the league said they'd put substantial penalties on the Wild organization as well. They wouldn't even allow him to wear the mask in warm ups? He should have just worn it, gone oops, sorry and the league would have probably just given him a slap on the wrist and not wanted to draw anymore attention to the issue, rather than hammer him with fines for promoting Native Heritage.

I guess I sort of get it. What's next wearing religious symbolism? But still I always thought masks were kind of unique and reflective of goalies personalities, sad to think the NHL now determines their choice.

I can't see the whole mask but it doesn't seem to me even remotely problematic.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/upl ... 576&crop=1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:22 am 

He went right out and wore it, and the league, as expected, backed down like the cowards they are.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:36 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Glad MAF did this. F Bettman.

I want a goalie to have a mask with Bettman bending over for sponsors, with one of the vent holes where his asshole is, so there's a gaping black hole. See how long it takes him to ban that, and then the goalie can show it around as to why it was banned.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:45 pm 

The mask controversy is a highlight in what has been an utterly disastrous season for Minnesota so far. They're not far removed from dead last in the NHL and sport what could go down as the worst penalty kill in league history.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong is going wrong for the Wylde: Both goalies have struggled, but Filip Gustavsson has completely fallen off after a transcendent, Vezina-caliber season that earned him a multi-year extension. Kirill Kaprizov has had a very quiet start, and Matt Boldy has been nonexistent. Without those guys there's simply not enough depth to offset the lack of scoring thanks to the gigantic $15 million or so in dead cap space they carry thanks to the double buyouts of Parise and Suter.

Not gonna sit here and say I'm all that sad to see this, but I'm also quite shocked they've stumbled out the gate this poorly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:58 pm 

Dean Evason pays the price, like most coaches, for his goalies sucking donkey balls to start the year.

I'll miss Evason's perpetual rage-face behind the green bench. I don't think I've ever seen that guy smile.

JOHN HYNES gets yet another shot...why? Not that I'm arguing all that much since he led another Avs division rival into the ground, but it's just such an underwhelming hire.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:23 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Just the dumbest possible response and empty threat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:24 pm 

https://theathletic.com/5136414/2023/12 ... ed_article

Quote:
Wednesday’s departure of assistant GM Chris O’Hearn only adds to the feeling of chaos and panic, and not just because of the unanswered questions about the justification for his dismissal, which team sources tell The Athletic came on the heels of multiple investigations into Wild executives by an outside firm commissioned by the organization.

Quote:
O’Hearn was not the subject of that latter investigation, and it’s unknown the specific nature of any allegations against him. It appears that the first investigation just happened to conclude at the same time the second one was being conducted.

What’s interesting is that O’Hearn was the front-office representative on the Wild’s latest four-game road trip, which ended Sunday in Seattle. He didn’t give the appearance that anything was amiss, being around the team in his normal jovial fashion and answering questions from reporters about the team likely needing to go into LTIR. Agents who have spoken to him in recent weeks said it was business as usual.

Unusually, especially since this was the first long road trip for new coach John Hynes, Guerin was not on that road trip, nor was he at the team’s charity gala Tuesday in St. Paul. Guerin’s wife, Kara, appeared for her husband at a fan meet and greet, apologizing to those in attendance and saying Guerin was on an important call. The team asked players Jake Middleton and Brandon Duhaime to fill in for Guerin.

Team sources say the parting of ways with O’Hearn came that same day — not Wednesday, when the team sent a statement to The Athletic confirming the news.

In the time since, Guerin, normally as accessible as any executive in the league, has not responded to several messages.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck is goin' on in Minnesota?

What's really unfortunate is that if there's a coverup going on, it's not the first one Bill Guerin has been involved in as an executive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next