OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:37 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

This seems to be a California thing... but we won't stoop to talking about the Ducks, don't worry.

The Kings are on a bit of a roll right now, and are very much in the mix for one of the final Western playoff spots if you can believe it. 55 points in 52 games is right in line for 8th place, easily challenging the Ducks' 59 points in 56 games, the Oilers' 56 in 53, and Columbus' 57 in 54 games. It's a tight race, and the Kings' streak have put them in a good position moving forward... only Dallas has more points of a Western team in their past 10 games than LA.

In other words, stop fantasizing about adding Sean O'Donnell to your team's roster at the trade deadline...

They've turned it up ever since Jonathon Quick took over the starting goaltending duties, and Jack Johnson returned to the lineup just 11 games ago. It's a bit of a rag tag crew, bubbling with young talent, but right now, they're a healthy group and that's huge at this stage of the year.

Also, Kyle Quincey is the best waiver pickup since Ilya Bryzgalov... he's the Kings' top blueliner this year in points and is second in icetime behind super rookie Drew Doughty. Quincey was picked up to help fill Johnson's void, and now they have 5 d-men who have averaged 20 minutes or more in Doughty, Quincey, Johnson, O'Donnell, and Greene.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:04 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Ya man, not only do they have a shot at the playoffs this year but the Kings could be next season's Bruins and contenders for a long time after that.

A-Fro, Kopitar, O'Sullivan, Brown are a great core of forwards and a couple of the potential top prospects Ted Purcell, Brian Boyle, Oscar Moller, Trevor Lewis should pan out. Then on D it's JJ+DD only getting better and Quincey hopefully the real deal plus potential top-4 guy Thomas Hickey. Bernier is the goalie of the future and Quick obviously no slouch either. Then you add tons of cap room and a desirable place to play to attract UFAs. Look out for the Kings in 2010!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 pm 

Colton Teubert has really struggled since the WJC's in case anyone is curious, BTW. He was even a healthy scratch recently... for his junior team. Very odd with him, but the Kings have so much blueline talent coming up they can afford a potential bust.

Hard to believe this team that had to add Sean O'Donnell just to get over the cap floor is doing so well this far into the season, though. It'd also be REALLY hilarious if they knocked Anaheim out of the final playoff spot. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Colton Teubert has really struggled since the WJC's in case anyone is curious, BTW. He was even a healthy scratch recently... for his junior team. Very odd with him, but the Kings have so much blueline talent coming up they can afford a potential bust.

Hard to believe this team that had to add Sean O'Donnell just to get over the cap floor is doing so well this far into the season, though. It'd also be REALLY hilarious if they knocked Anaheim out of the final playoff spot. :lol:

That'd be amazing.

The defense and goaltending was supposed to be a real weak spot for this team...and it really hasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Now if Anschutz would dump all three of those God-awful uniforms they'd be onto something. Glad Lombardi realized Crawford was ruining the team and jettisoned him post-haste...but not before the Cloutier debacle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Dear Lord I had no idea Lombardi was handing out so many contract extensions to so many players. They traded away O'Sullivan's salary, but got Williams in return. And I'm sure they wouldn't mind dumping Preissing either.

Maybe it's just me being bitter about the fact that I wanted the Avs to make a run at Stoll (or Handzus, but mainly Stoll) this offseason. :argh:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Dear Lord I had no idea Lombardi was handing out so many contract extensions to so many players. They traded away O'Sullivan's salary, but got Williams in return. And I'm sure they wouldn't mind dumping Preissing either.

Maybe it's just me being bitter about the fact that I wanted the Avs to make a run at Stoll (or Handzus, but mainly Stoll) this offseason. :argh:

Both O'Sullivan and Williams have 2 more years(I think) after this season on their contracts. When that rolls around, the Kings will have added more salary from younger players to their payroll, and O'Sullivan will be an RFA vs Williams an UFA. That could have been a factor in the trade even though I still don't like that trade.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:54 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Both O'Sullivan and Williams have 2 more years(I think) after this season on their contracts. When that rolls around, the Kings will have added more salary from younger players to their payroll, and O'Sullivan will be an RFA vs Williams an UFA. That could have been a factor in the trade even though I still don't like that trade.

The main factor in the trade was Sully's holdout.

And yes, Av, they are trying to dump Preissing. They waived him just prior to the deadline.

The big question will be whether the Gaborik to LA rumors that have been around for a while are true at all. If they can dump Priessing, get JJ signed long term, and ink a big star like Gabby... this team is in freaking great shape.