OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GDT: Nucks @ Kings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I'll be at the game tonight. Will send a report later on :)

Post subject: Re: GDT: Nucks @ Kings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Cool! Hope it's highly enjoyable!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Bring us the goods, LP!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 am 
Old Man of the Post

Cannots barely hanging on... :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:03 am 
Old Man of the Post

Bambi having a quietly effective game... Kings owning the faceoff dot. They don't look very sharp, thank goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 am 
Old Man of the Post

:fffffuck:

Don't like this passive defence one bit... Way to play not to lose, AV... :argh:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:17 am 
Old Man of the Post

* sigh *

As bad as the Kings are playing, the Cannots kept playing a passive defensive game that was fugly - no offence, except for Kass' PP opportunity and he hit Quick center-mass... Luongo in the SO... Yech...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 am 
Old Man of the Post

Kopitar - stopped by Luongo... I expected Kopitar would show more there...

Bureaux - rang it off the post with a spin move (?)... Lousy move... Why he tried to do anything other than his signature move is beyond me... Perhaps because he saw Quick playing deep in net...

Brown - missed... Luongo looks awkward again. He seems to be off balance each time.

Edler - stopped.... Crap shot.

Carter - scores! Nice move! Forehand to a very quick backhand... Now that's a move.

Kassian - misses... :fffffuck:

Kudos to the Kings; they were patient and persevered even as the Canucks reverted to stalling tactics - boring ass shit to watch... The Canucks really didn't do anything beyond scoring more goals earlier than the Kings to earn the win so the point is about as much as they deserved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:33 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

LP's Game Notes

The Good

Tanev, Kassian, Burrows had very strong games (with the exception of Burrow's goofy pseudo spin-o-rama in SO).

Luongo was fantastic - their best player by far and outright robbed the Kings on 6-7 sure goals.

Canucks battled hard but ran out of gas. You can't fault them for effort but certainly for poor execution and sitting on a lead.

Staples Center - a great environment to watch a game - although I prefer United Center in Chicago for game atmosphere.

The Bad

Garrison had a very rough game, he seems awkward out there and often out of position or bobbling the puck.

The Sedins were nonfactors. Not sure what's happening with them - they seem to be missing a gear and need to find their cycle game soon - need to get stronger on the puck. I wonder if they lost too much weight in the off season?

A lot of blown tires (bad ice?).

It wasn't a very well played game on the whole. It seemed like the Kings won every loose puck battle and were much more physical than the Nucks. Although Kassian was definite physical presence, it seemed they were out hit 2-1. Canucks had no sustained forecheck which is a big concern.

No Power play to speak of.

The Ugly

Some Kings fans were being annoying. Lots of talk about the 'Sisters' being weak and lots of mambi pambi talk in fake Swedish accents. Give me a break - it's getting a little tired. Oh right, they're wimps because they were born in Sweden...

Every fan received a replica King's SC ring tonight.....pretty good quality too. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am 
Old Man of the Post

I was wondering if the reason the Canucks were nowhere near what they are capable of was because of poor ice. The puck did seem to bounce a lot all over the place and the Kings used their size effectively to win puck battles, while the Canucks could only ice the puck - they couldn't seem to make two consecutive passes connect in the latter half of the game. And because of that, they couldn't use their speed to make plays.

I can't help but think that Luongo didn't appear to control his body all that well - he seemed to be falling on each stop - quite the contrast to Schneider's quiet, controlled style. Luo also got lucky on a couple of plays. I thought he played well enough to win, while the team in front of him only played well enough to not lose... Big difference. And it cost them a point.

What is this the third game they've lost after having a 2-0 lead? :doh:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

The blown lead was the easiest thing in the world to predict. I was surprised they were still holding it with 5 minutes to spare (I thought going into the second intermission that they'd lose it in regulation), and so when the other shoe dropped it wasn't too surprising.

That said, it's not about coaching or "effort" (which is the all-purpose fan's steadfast refusal to accept that physical factors play a large role in how athletes perform). This was all about 4 games in 6 nights at the start of a season following a prolonged lockout where few of the players were playing, and that's about it. I really don't think Vigneault was telling them to sit back and let the Kings attack -- they just had nothing more to give, and would generally get off the ice as soon as they could after gaining possession and flipping the puck out.

Vigneault's error was in shortening the bench toward the end of the game when Schroeder was one of the few guys with a bit of energy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Anyone have video of Burrows' shootout attempt?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

I haven't seen it myself, but if you go to CanucksHD's Youtube channel, he usually will post the entire shootout after a tie game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I haven't seen it myself, but if you go to CanucksHD's Youtube channel, he usually will post the entire shootout after a tie game.

It was forgettable. He skated in, tried a spin move, nearly stopped forward momentum but was still able to ring it off the post. It was not the prettiest shot, and I wondered if the ice conditions were just that bad in LA.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well you know it must've been bad if Luongo was making fun of it on his Twitter feed :lol:

https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/2 ... 68/photo/1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 am 

Now that I've seen it, it was actually a pretty cool idea. Much as Peter Forsberg perfected the "deke yourself instead of the puck" move, Burrows kind of tried a spinorama without the puck, which is actually a pretty interesting form of deception and could very well work another time.