OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:10 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Just kidding... The guy hasn't coached one game for them yet and one can already hear the media knives getting sharpened.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Weird that he has such a bad rap as a coach...the Flames did just fine when he was behind the bench. Honestly, he's old school, but he doesn't necessarily strike me as a full-on hardass like, say, Keenan. He seems to get a lot out of his players...yes, most of the time those players are grinders, but LA pretty much has a ton of those anyway.

I don't blame Lombardi for not going for a touchy-feely players coach like, say, Tony Granato. One, I don't think the Kings have enough talent to let their best players do whatever the hell they want (even with Quick back there), and two, I don't think you can ever completely let go of the reins of guys like Richards and Johnson.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 pm 
Old Man of the Post

What I'm hearing is that Murray wasn't all that different inasmuch as they are both hardasses. I just don't have any confidence in Sutter being a good Xs and Os kind of guy that I think is demanded in today's NHL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
What I'm hearing is that Murray wasn't all that different inasmuch as they are both hardasses. I just don't have any confidence in Sutter being a good Xs and Os kind of guy that I think is demanded in today's NHL.

I think Xs and Os guys can be a bit overrated as well (see Tom Renney, reluctant as I am to use that example).

And if I'm reading things about the Kings correctly, Murray was an Xs and Os guy...sometimes systems can choke the lives out of teams. There comes a point when you just gotta tell 'em to play hockey. See what happened when Therrien got sacked and Bylsma took over. No way is Bylsma an Xs and Os guy.

Systems-loving coaches wear out their welcome quickly. The only guy who continues to defy this is Ron Wilson, and that's only because his boss is the most stubborn executive in the history of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:15 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Wait, did you really just imply that Therrien was an X and O's guys and Bylsma wasn't???? Why do you think Pittsburgh still wins when they're without really good players? They're one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. And Therrien relies completely on yelling and passion.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:36 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Wait, did you really just imply that Therrien was an X and O's guys and Bylsma wasn't???? Why do you think Pittsburgh still wins when they're without really good players? They're one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. And Therrien relies completely on yelling and passion.

This was my impression too...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:13 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Knock on Murray was that he was emotionless and his system killed offensive creativity. There must be some credence to the latter point as like I said in another thread there is no way a team with Kopitar, Richards, Doughty, JJ, Williams, Gagne, and Penner (ha) should be last in the NHL in scoring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:32 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The funny thing is this year bares a lot similarity to the 2002-03 Sharks season which got Sutter and Lombardi fired.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:30 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I will take any Sutter to coach my team, any day. A while ago I was working on lyrics to a song to give to The Zambonis, praising Mrs. Sutter for raising such a fantastic hockey family. (Mr. Sutter is long dead, so don't start saying it was him who coached them, etc)
Maybe I'll pick that up again during my time off from school.