All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:07 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730836

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well that's a great way to start out the season. What, was he afraid fan expectations were somehow high?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:41 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

I feel that "Vinnie Viola", as a name, evokes about as much trust as "Boots" del Biaggio. Perhaps less, because he sounds like one of Fat Tony's associates on The Simpsons.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Jyrki21 wrote:
I feel that "Vinnie Viola", as a name, evokes about as much trust as "Boots" del Biaggio. Perhaps less, because he sounds like one of Fat Tony's associates on The Simpsons.

He sounds like a mafia comic book character, who carries a collapsible sniper rifle in a viola case. "Dat rat bastid is pissin me off. Tell Vinnie Viola to pay 'im a visit, would youz?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Low-level Gotham criminal Vinnie Viola.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:44 pm 

Can't find the link (or too lazy to look), but apparently attendance for the home opener was a record low. Just pull the damn plug already.

If not for Paige Lewis's Twitter feed I'd have no idea what was going on in Sunrise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:30 pm 
Big in Japan

Less than 8k in attendance tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:42 am 

Oh come the fuck on...

And check out the jumbotron. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 am 
OTP Historian

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:50 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

8k must be paid attendance, as that doesn't even look like 2k.

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:28 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Please! Tell me that is pre-game prior anthems!

What competitive player would want to play in that market? (I'm talking to you Lou and also Willie).

I mean really..... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:33 pm 

Wysh comes to the Panthros' defense...kinda.

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/in-defense-of-florida-panthers--epically-embarrassing-crowd-vs--ottawa-131239655.html

Someone on HF in their forum called fans a bunch of Kool-Aid drinkers. Um...really? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:03 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Wysh comes to the Panthros' defense...kinda.

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/in-defense-of-florida-panthers--epically-embarrassing-crowd-vs--ottawa-131239655.html

Someone on HF in their forum called fans a bunch of Kool-Aid drinkers. Um...really? :lol:

Very good read, and like with almost everything not as simple as it seems. As the author pointed out

Quote:
I apply the same standard to Florida as I do Columbus and Arizona: It’s impossible to really get a handle on these markets until we see sustained success, multiple playoff appearances and fans getting attached to homegrown stars. Can anyone really assess the Panthers’ location as a good or bad hockey market when the team has had one playoff appearance in 14 years?

If a team was that bad in any Canadian market other than Toronto (masochists) or Montreal (devout worshiping at the alter) they would struggle at the gate as well. Not as bad as Florida but it would not be pretty. There were 10-11k nights for the Nucks in the mid 80's.

Florida does seem to be building there team correctly, we'll see in two or three years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:13 pm 

I know it's just a piece of cloth sewn on a jersey, but I've always maintained that it's usually not a great idea to pin a C or A on a newly-acquired player. That said, the Panthros made Willie Mitchell their captain and pinned A's on Derek MacKenzie (???) and Dave Bolland. Upshall and Campbell have the other A's.

I suppose the alternative would be Barkov or Bjugstad, so...whatever. For some reason FLA likes giving their C to the most injury-prone guy on the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Semi-defending question- Does their attendance always start out low? Seems to me that most snowbirds haven't flown south yet. I mean, that's no excuse for being able to hear a mouse fart after a goal, but it could help explain a little.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:05 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Semi-defending question- Does their attendance always start out low? Seems to me that most snowbirds haven't flown south yet. I mean, that's no excuse for being able to hear a mouse fart after a goal, but it could help explain a little.

I'll crib note Av's link from my lousy recall........buyer beware.

2nd game always low, October always low (no snobirds), Ottawa always low; and Panthers quit giving away promotional tickets which historically inflated #'s but probably reduced revenue as they were so easy to get. A perfect confluence of factors.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 am 

Either they'll eventually get people to attend games or ownership will show the league that this franchise is doomed and allow Viola & Cifu (WTF is up with those names?) to move them. QC would be perfect since they wouldn't even have to change divisions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:38 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Well, the Oilers still pack their building with the longest playoff drought in the NHL now (and no close calls in that timeframe, usually the season is in the tank before it gets properly cold in Edmonton).

That said, yeah, the team stinks. Most teams who have a team stink this long have historically folded or moved to another city for a fresh start. This is what happens. Miami/Sunrise might work under the right circumstances, but the Panthers have pretty much proven they aren't the right circumstances.

Arizona/Columbus need multiple playoff appearances before we can 'judge' them as markets. This isn't judging the market, it's judging the franchise. Atlanta didn't get that chance, and barely anyone is moaning about that market being gone.

I mean, the Oilers are an embarassment for the NHL in everything but attendance/fan passion. The Panthers are an embarassment on all fronts. The Thrashers are gone and were an embarassment and really they still are one but they're making money at least temporarily.

This league is too large to have 30 healthy, playoff appearing franchises. It's impossible. So sometimes a fresh start is needed.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:46 pm 
OTP Historian

Phoenix did have 3 consecutive playoff appearances, including getting to the conference finals in the third, then promptly missed the playoffs the next 2 seasons. Is that enough to judge them as a market?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:53 pm 

This may be the funniest damned thing I've ever read by DGB.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nhl-g ... come-back/

Quote:
Next up is Mike Van Ryn. Jokinen actually breaks out a new move by using his hand to wave him over, proving that evolution is real. Van Ryn responds by nodding slightly, at which point his clavicle shatters and he misses the entire season.

Quote:
Oh look, Stephen Weiss is working some game. I wonder what his pickup line is? “Hey, girl, are you the 2014 Detroit Red Wings salary-cap situation? Because I’d like to absolutely ruin you.”

:lol: