OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Now?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Looks like the Panthros are justifying the coaching change.

https://twitter.com/TravisHeHateMe/stat ... 84/photo/1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Kulikov and Bjugstad were the best players for the Panthros outside of Campbell on Sunday against the Habs, so that's a good sign. They've also had a bunch of <20 shots against games since what's-his-name took over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 pm 

Apparently Florida thought Buffalo stole their thunder.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/flor ... 8116.story

CEO Michael Yormark (with the club since 2003) is gonzo, some guy named Rory Babych takes his place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:26 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I haven't heard any connection before, but I wonder if he's related to Brett Yormark of the Barclays Center. Not a common last name and Brett Yormark has connections to Jay-Zee, who Michael will now be working for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 am 
Big in Japan

So the Cats now have Luongo.

I don't think it's as bad a move as people are saying. It's time the Panthers start aiming at making the playoffs. You can't nickel and dime the contract either - it's manageable for a non-ceiling team.

They've got some good young players to build on: Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Kulikov and a bunch of B guys with potential. They also have Fleishmann, Upshall, Boyes and Campbell coming back. Time to roll with what you have.

Lou's still a solid goalie. He'll make them better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:32 am 

E.L. wrote:
So the Cats now have Luongo.

I don't think it's as bad a move as people are saying. It's time the Panthers start aiming at making the playoffs. You can't nickel and dime the contract either - it's manageable for a non-ceiling team.

They've got some good young players to build on: Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Kulikov and a bunch of B guys with potential. They also have Fleishmann, Upshall, Boyes and Campbell coming back. Time to roll with what you have.

Lou's still a solid goalie. He'll make them better.

Who's saying its a bad deal?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 am 

Who the hell's saying this was a bad deal for the Panthros? Despite the fact he's playing great in the AHL, I'm not so convinced anymore that Markstrom is the Man. And despite the fact it looks like Matthias was HORRIBLY misused this season, it was time for him to go.

Tallon needs to quit whiffing on coaching hires. Horachek is about as dumb as Dineen was, might be even worse.

Don't know what the hell happened to Huberdeau this season, maybe injuries just derailed him to the point of no return, but he needs to pull a Duchene work out like hell in the offseason.

I still think the spine of a championship team is built on an elite #1 defenseman, a solid 1-2 punch at center, and good-enough goaltending. Since the Panthros don't really have an elite defenseman, the goalie might have to be great. And they still have some pretty solid prospects in Trochek and Grimaldi who might be on the team next year. And so long as they don't screw things up with Gilbert they have a solid top pairing. Gudbranson only needs to be above-average. Maybe even just average.

But again, they need a real coach. Put Barkov out there for the toughest matchups, use Bjugstad on the 2nd line, and flip Pirri out there for the sheltered/easy scoring minutes. A good coach could use the talent on this squad easily.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:07 pm 

I'll tell you what now. Dale Tallon bobbleheads! Seriously is this the dumbest marketing gimmick ever? I've never heard of a GM bobblehead and I can't imagine anyone would actually buy a ticket because oh yeah we can see a game and collect a bobblehead.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/ex-canucks-night-in-florida-luongo-vs-schneider-and-tallon-bobbleheads/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
I'll tell you what now. Dale Tallon bobbleheads! Seriously is this the dumbest marketing gimmick ever? I've never heard of a GM bobblehead and I can't imagine anyone would actually buy a ticket because oh yeah we can see a game and collect a bobblehead.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/ex-canucks-night-in-florida-luongo-vs-schneider-and-tallon-bobbleheads/

Seriously, that's dumb. The most common use is going to be youtube videos of some sort of destruction when he makes his next bad move. "Dale Tallon bobblehead on fire" will be a pretty commonly searched term, yielding several dozen videos.

EDIT- And I actually thought you were kidding at first. As in, he's done such a great job he should get a bobblehead. I didn't think they would actually do it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:00 pm 

Well, I suppose that tells you just how much turnover there's been in the roster and how little star power they have. They actually did Tim Thomas bobblehead night, AFTER he was traded.

Hell, Tallon's an even steadier presence than the owners he's worked for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:38 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Well, I suppose that tells you just how much turnover there's been in the roster and how little star power they have. They actually did Tim Thomas bobblehead night, AFTER he was traded.

Hell, Tallon's an even steadier presence than the owners he's worked for.

:haha: didn't know the Thomas bobblehead story. That's great. Wonder if Luongo kept one.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:14 am 
OTP Historian

Tallon to Saskhab: You will pry your favourite player from my cold, dead hands and your reverse psychology tactics have no effect on me.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... aters.html

Quote:
18. Tallon was also asked if the Panthers have any untouchables on their roster. "[Aleksander] Barkov," he said, right away. "Our young core. [Jonathan] Huberdeau, [Erik] Gudbranson, [Nick] Bjugstad. I guess you always have to listen, but it would take a lot."

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:57 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Bosc wrote:
Tallon to Saskhab: You will pry your favourite player from my cold, dead hands and your reverse psychology tactics have no effect on me.

Quote:
18. Tallon was also asked if the Panthers have any untouchables on their roster. "[Aleksander] Barkov," he said, right away. "Our young core. [Jonathan] Huberdeau, [Erik] Gudbranson, [Nick] Bjugstad. I guess you always have to listen, but it would take a lot."

When have I said I think he'd deal any of those guys? (Although he's deluding himself on Gudbranson, those other three are most excellent)

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:09 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Quote:

When have I said I think he'd deal any of those guys? (Although he's deluding himself on Gudbranson, those other three are most excellent)

Yeah, it was just a comment on what Tallon thinks of Gudbranson compared to your opinion of him, not about the other guys.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 am 
Big in Japan

They shouldn't give up on Kula Shaker. He's better than Goodburger.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:48 pm 

Just read Marc effin' Crawford might be in the mix. Good Lord.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

Well he just won the league in Zurich and he's quite an articulate and intelligent guy. I've been expecting to hear his name for a month and been surprised how quiet its been. Certainly a better rumour than the return of Keenan. Actually I'd hire Crawford before Tortorella as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Well he just won the league in Zurich and he's quite an articulate and intelligent guy. I've been expecting to hear his name for a month and been surprised how quiet its been. Certainly a better rumour than the return of Keenan. Actually I'd hire Crawford before Tortorella as well.

That's true. At least we know for SURE Keenan isn't on Florida's coaching radar.

I get that Crawford is a very well-spoken guy, I'm just not sure he's a good coach anymore (or if he ever was). Ironically, Bob Hartley coached the same team in Europe and made his NHL return shortly thereafter. Guess Zurich is the place you should go when the NHL gigs dry up. Randy Carlyle will likely be there before soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Andy Slater @AndySlater 37m
Source: Florida Panthers let go many employees today, possibly 30.

Quote:
Andy Slater @AndySlater 18m
Staff let go from Florida Panthers include almost entire sales team and many building ops personnel, among others - source says.

They've also been given permission to talk to Gerald Gallant about the head coaching job.

Not sure if this is going to be a mess, or just the usual changes that come from new ownership. Probably a mess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Keenan in Florida is obviously a non-starter, but you're touting the guy who won in Switzerland vs the guy who just won the KHL title... and who when last in the NHL had his team in the playoffs.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next