OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Panthers need to run the table in their final 3 games to make the playoffs: two against Boston and one against Buffalo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

A good sign at least. In a game where the Panthros had nothing to play for, had to use both goalies, and their opponent was fighting for a shot at the division title, they won in decisive fashion.

DU's own Henrik Borgstrom gets his first NHL goal.

Despite the major stumbles of the last year, the Cats are in pretty good shape. This could be their lineup next year.

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Borgstrom - Trocheck - Bjugstad
Vatrano - McCann - Tippett
McGinn - Malgin - Mamin
Sceviour, MacKenzie

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Pysyk
McCoshen - Weegar

Luongo
Reimer

Imagine if they threw their hat into the ring for the services of one Erik Karlsson. Y'know, I think they have the pieces to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:44 pm 
Big in Japan

I think the Cats are going to make a big splash this offseason. In the running for Kovalchuk, could be in on Skinner. They're set at centre and have enough youth to potentially trade for a star.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:22 pm 

So in the end, it was Hoffman the Cats got. Good trade in pure hockey terms, as for the rest, well, let's not even mention it.

Hoffman - Trocheck - Bjugstad
McCann - Borgstrom - Vatrano
Sceviour - MacKenzie - Mamin

That's a really solid and deep forward group, especially if McCann and Borgstrom continue to develop as planned.

My biggest concern would be on D. Someone on Twitter made some statistical comparisons between Aaron Ekblad and Dion Phaneuf and while I don't think the Dion is a terrible player, it'd be a huge setback for Florida if their franchise defender ended up not being a franchise defender.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:48 am 
Big in Japan

Cats add a possibly still useful Troy Brouwer to their deep forward ranks.

If Luongmerson can hold up as a three-headed beast in net, this team can contend for the division. I like the defence, provided Matty takes another step forward, Ekblad stays healthy and Kiselevich cracks the lineup.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm 

I don't understand that move at all. They have more than enough depth at forward, this just makes it all the more likely they'll have to waive/trade someone before the season and start the year with a truly awful fourth line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:03 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Cats have a pretty good forward group already with an average D corps. They earned more points than the Avs did last year and narrowly missed the playoffs.

After picking up Hoffman from SJ, they have loads of offensive punch and don't really need Brouwer to score which is a good thing. Suppose he was brought in to eat up some bottom 6 minutes and help on the defensive side of the puck -- but they really don't need him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:55 am 
Big in Japan

Barkov named captain. He is far and away their best player, and will be for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:08 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Barkov named captain. He is far and away their best player, and will be for a long time.

I watched this segment from either last season or the one before where they had Sasha mic'd up, I came away thinking he was captain material for sure. Awesome news. It's no wonder that had they not taken MacKinnon in 2013, Barkov was the Avs' second choice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 am 
Big in Japan

Surprised Borgstrom didn't make the team. Oh well, they're pretty good regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:28 am 

E.L. wrote:
Surprised Borgstrom didn't make the team. Oh well, they're pretty good regardless.

He would've been at most a 3rd line winger, guess they want him to get more meaningful minutes. I do wonder if that means they'll move a core player to make room for him.

Despite giving up Marchessault and Smith for literally nothing they actually have a lot of solid talent in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 am 

Well, the Panthros talked big about spending big, and they're already following through.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2646 ... ille-coach

Joel Norman Quenneville (yes, that's his middle name) becomes Florida's newest head coach. If he meets bonuses he'll be the highest-paid coach in the league.

They couldn't have lured him in if Dale Tallon wasn't going to go BIG this offseason. Sure feels like Bob and Bread signing there is a foregone conclusion.

Apparently there's one more thing that enticed Coach Q: Didn't know until today he loves horse racing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 am 
OTP Historian

Norman? Dude looks way more like a Norman than a Joel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:44 am 
Big in Japan

Panthros have enough room to throw 19-20M AAV at Panarin and Bobrovsky, and they'll do it, but that still leaves their defence situation up in the air.

I don't know if it's a matter of Ekblad finally getting healthy, but they could use some help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 am 
OTP Historian

Trade the final years of Hoffman and Pysyk(he good?) and get themselves a Jake Gardiner. Or a Jonathan Ericsson. That works too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:12 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Trade the final years of Hoffman and Pysyk(he good?) and get themselves a Jake Gardiner. Or a Jonathan Ericsson. That works too.

Not out of the realm of possibility they sign Karlsson and deal Ekblad. Let someone else unlock all his potential!

Could see the Habs or someone like them taking on the Reimer contract with a little sweetener added.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:33 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Not out of the realm of possibility they sign Karlsson and deal Ekblad. Let someone else unlock all his potential!

Could see the Habs or someone like them taking on the Reimer contract with a little sweetener added.

Oh man I forgot all about Karlsson.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Oh man I forgot all about Karlsson.

EK is a fun wild card this offseason because most San Jose guys tend to stay there because it's comfy and the team is good, but I don't think that'll be the case here. He'll go to the highest bidder/best opportunity and I imagine some non-contending teams will give it a shot, like the Rangers or Sabres.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Everyone assumes with Quenneville hired and convenient offseason real estate, Panarin and Bobrovsky are surefire Panthros come opening day in October. I'll believe it when I see it, although I have no doubt Florida will make a pitch.

Also sounds like the team is investing in some real estate commitments of their own, this time in Ft. Lauderdale. Basically, they'll move closer downtown at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:45 pm 

So they got half of the Bread and Bob package, but at least it was the half they really needed.

So I guess this is what we're going to see opening night in Sunrise...

Hoffman - Trocheck - Connolly
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Tippett
Sceviour - Acciari - Malgin

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Stralman
Pysyk - Brown/Weegar

Bobrovsky
Montembeault

I mean, that definitely looks like a playoff team to me. Not sure it's a legit contender yet. Rumors abounding they're going to flip Hoffman (dude apparently wears out his welcome in a hurry everywhere he goes) for some help on the back end.

I've been critical of Ekblad in recent years, but he appears to be figuring things out. Had two rough seasons after Campbell left, but had a resurgence in 2018-19.

It should be noted the Luongo recapture and Darling buyout will take up a decent amount of cap space for at least the next three years.

The funny thing is that they went big on Bob, but also have two potential starters in the pipeline in Montembeault and Knight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next