OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:55 pm 
Big in Japan

One for one swap with Neal going the other way? I'll take it any day of the week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
One for one swap with Neal going the other way? I'll take it any day of the week.
If your which team? Both players suck, although seems like Neal gets the slight edge because he can sort of skate still, so Calgary looks like the loser.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 pm 

Neal has probably hit his shelf life, but he's only had the one bad season so it is possible he'll bounce back next year. Lucic two years of awful, he's done and his contract is written to protect from buyout, Neal's was not. Edmonton got the better of this trade. Hard to believe I'm saying Edmonton did something better than anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 pm 
Big in Japan

If Alex Freaking Chiasson can pot 20 riding shotgun on this wingerless shitshow, James Neal with no knee cartilage can score 25 easy.

Looch is bad and I think a big distraction at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 am 
Big in Japan

Read a newspaper article this morning that said Neal has been working with Gary Roberts and McDavid this summer. Basically didn't train last season after making the finals with Vegas, never got in shape in Calgary and fell out of favour.

We'll see, both teams seem happy to be getting rid of their guy and acquiring the other, so maybe a fresh start will benefit all parties.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:10 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Two GMs look bad here: Treliving for taking on the worst contract in the league, and Benning for failing to move a less onerous deal in Eriksson.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am 

Neither guy can skate but Neal can still shoot, and worst case scenario can be bought out. Holland wins this trade.

I still find it hilarious that Calgary has put such a premium on toughness and yet is still so desperate for it they tried trading for Ryan Reaves, and then when that failed they traded for a broken down shell of a player.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:13 am 
King of Men

On the outside this deal just isn't beneficial for the Flames. I liked Milan's game when he was younger but he is an old soul in a changed game. Both contracts are terrible so I look to the human aspect....Neal had to go as he wasn't going to see ice anyway. I guess the question will be would it have been a better move to let Neal sit there pissing and moaning all season in an already fragile locker room. Brad thought not....

The sticking point here is the buyout option.....the Lucic contract is a f'n albatross....and will impact the team down the road when they are ready to buy him out (or convince him to include Seattle on his move list, Vancouver boy after all). But I guess that's what the draft pick and cash is for.

Let's just hope that there is another deal to keep Lucic moving and free up cap space...yeah....that's it. :eng101:

:psyduck:

Overdrive analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh_6UZA9Za8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:31 pm 
Big in Japan

If the choice eventually comes to protecting him in the expansion draft or a messy buyout, they'll buy him out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

Man, what an awful deal for Calgary. Excellent move, Holland. Better player with more salary cap flexibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:59 am 

Only way Calgary really gets out of this is if the CBA opt-out is used by either side this September and after the lockout new CBA is ratified they have another amnesty buyout period. Either that or he suddenly becomes allergic to the wood of the bench he'll be riding the remainder of his career and gets an all-expenses-paid vacation to Robidas Island.

Here's what I really find funny out of all this. Calgary has chased grit-and-toughness like some white whale for years and years now. And yet they still don't think they have enough. They tout Tkachuk but (and this is coming from someone else, not me) he's been accused of only being "tough" between the whistles. Same thing to a lesser degree with Hamonic. Bennett I suppose has the edge they like, but he lacks actual hockey ability. And now they have Looch, but y'know what? That dude's been known to disappear when bodies start flying around.

If there was one thing IMO that killed Calgary in the postseason, it was speed, especially up the middle. They just looked too damned slow. Looch is only going to make them slower, though it wasn't like Neal was zipping around out there.

I guess it got pretty bad in Calgary with Neal. He was reportedly in the far corner of the locker room and really didn't interact with anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:48 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Only way Calgary really gets out of this is if the CBA opt-out is used by either side this September and after the lockout new CBA is ratified they have another amnesty buyout period. Either that or he suddenly becomes allergic to the wood of the bench he'll be riding the remainder of his career and gets an all-expenses-paid vacation to Robidas Island.

Here's what I really find funny out of all this. Calgary has chased grit-and-toughness like some white whale for years and years now. And yet they still don't think they have enough. They tout Tkachuk but (and this is coming from someone else, not me) he's been accused of only being "tough" between the whistles. Same thing to a lesser degree with Hamonic. Bennett I suppose has the edge they like, but he lacks actual hockey ability. And now they have Looch, but y'know what? That dude's been known to disappear when bodies start flying around.

If there was one thing IMO that killed Calgary in the postseason, it was speed, especially up the middle. They just looked too damned slow. Looch is only going to make them slower, though it wasn't like Neal was zipping around out there.

I guess it got pretty bad in Calgary with Neal. He was reportedly in the far corner of the locker room and really didn't interact with anyone.

Burke moved aside over a year ago and while its well known that he valued truculence he wasn't making those moves towards the end. Does it have some lasting impact? Perhaps but not to the extent of chasing some magic white dinosaur.

Everyone in the NHL is tough between the whistles now.....no one is "tough" anymore. This new NHL is full of selling calls, blaming bad officiating, and empty chirping. Matthew Tchachuk is not tough....He's not even Dion tough. Hamonic and tough don't even occur to me. If tough is skating in to stick up for a teammate then we've certainly changed the definition. Sam Bennett has some piss and vinegar...and that seems to be the only part of his game that works anymore. But honestly I don't care about tough......To me new tough is coming together as a team and making the other team pay a price when they touch the puck...not one random running around throwing body or another "superstar" trying to carry the puck into the zone without his teammates (they can't all be MacKinnon).

I can't believe I am about to do this but I am actually going to defend Treliving somewhat. IMO it always been a dressing room issue in Calgary and a lack of heart/playing below potential. Treliving has been looking for Veteran leadership since I can remember and rolling the dice on bad decision after bad decision trying to motivate his young core. He's tried to fix things...shipping out Soft Dougie........bringing in a coach with a system. At the end of the day you can't fix a lack of desire within your core.

This latest installment in Neal was just a bust. Neal HAD to be moved (once again) for the sake of the dressing room. So you trade terrible decision for like. I don't think Lucic fits here or probably in the NHL anymore for that matter so Treliving sticks to his yeah he will help us in the grit department otherwise he opens a can of worms discussing how bad the Neal situation actually was on the team. Treliving backed himself into a corner here and will likely pay with his job at some point.

So yes tough may be something floated out there (they let Hathaway walk)...but I think if you peel back the layers on this team what Brad is looking for is leadership, accountability team cohesion and passion. And he may just have the wrong group for that. On the surface the trade has a clear winner, but IMO when I dig deeper I can somewhat understand why. This, to me, reeks of GM desperation and I would assume Treliving doesn't have many more kicks at the can..