OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:20 pm 
Big in Japan

At 12.5M AAV, so a little less than people were expecting. Still the highest paid player in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:03 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
At 12.5M AAV, so a little less than people were expecting. Still the highest paid player in the league.
Makes the Price deal look like a steal. Makes me wonder what McDavid's salary will be when he is a UFA at 28.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:51 pm 

What's the over under on Auston's contract next year?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Draisaitl- 8 years, $68 million. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 am 

$21 million a year on 2 players. A generational talent and a franchise player mind you. The NHLPA must be licking their chops right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I don't mind this shift if indeed it is a shift. Better to overpay superstars in their prime (and really, I'm not sure you CAN overpay a guy like McDavid) than overpay a bunch of grinders or great players on the decline.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:42 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I don't mind this shift if indeed it is a shift. Better to overpay superstars in their prime (and really, I'm not sure you CAN overpay a guy like McDavid) than overpay a bunch of grinders or great players on the decline.

Yeah, when the Pens & Blackhawks gave huge contracts to a few key guys, I thought they were hog-tying themselves & they'd be screwed. It's pretty clear why I'm not a GM. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:28 am 
King of the One-Liner

yeah suspect the big money to pay the superstars is just coming out of the middle class NHL'ers...who are relative to us Joe's still doing all right.

McDavid is what he is so pay him. They take some degree of gamble with Draisaitl but personally I think they will be happy.

Mathews and Eichel for that matter should end up somewhere pretty close to the middle of those two I would think. ten to ten and a half.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:04 pm 
Big in Japan

4M for Benny Pouliot hamstrings you worse than 10.5 for Connor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
yeah suspect the big money to pay the superstars is just coming out of the middle class NHL'ers...who are relative to us Joe's still doing all right.

McDavid is what he is so pay him. They take some degree of gamble with Draisaitl but personally I think they will be happy.

Mathews and Eichel for that matter should end up somewhere pretty close to the middle of those two I would think. ten to ten and a half.

I'm sure Tavares will be up there as well. As long as it's with the Isles, that's fine with me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:38 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Fair or unfair Tavaras production has dropped in the last two seasons so this one may prove significant to him being in the super star salary range when he signs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Fair or unfair Tavaras production has dropped in the last two seasons so this one may prove significant to him being in the super star salary range when he signs.

He played all last year with an injured hand. First 5 games of the year he took really nasty hacks, and was in obvious pain for months. Had surgery as soon as the season was over. So I almost think he's trying to wait and have a hell of a season while healthy and show he's worth more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:04 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I keep reading that while the production has obviously differed, the underlying numbers between Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl aren't all that different.

But whatever the case, no way do they keep all three. Guessing the Habs are interested, or at least they should be.