OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
McDavid was frustrated last night, threw an elbow at Kotkaniemi's head. Only got 2 minutes, and given his stature, I'm surprised he even got that.

Now he got a $5k fine. In a normal season he makes $152k/game. Does someone making $12.5 million even know what $5k is? How the hell are these fines so damn small? Ridiculous. For me, $5k would keep from doing almost anything. When the dude makes more/game than I do in a year? Not exactly a deterrent.

I imagine him at the pawn shop now, trying to hawk one of his 50 XBoxes.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 am 
OTP Historian

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Did they ever.

I know McDavid has a crappy supporting cast and was hacked and slashed by the Jets at will, but c'mon Superstar, it's triple OT and your season is on the line! Be the hero.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:47 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Did they ever.

I know McDavid has a crappy supporting cast and was hacked and slashed by the Jets at will, but c'mon Superstar, it's triple OT and your season is on the line! Be the hero.

He was beyond exhausted at that point--Tippett was riding him, Draisaitl, Nurse, and Barrie like it was ten-cent night at the strip club.

Also, ain't like that was a defensive zone turnover, he turned it over in the attacking zone, and it was just then the defense picked the worst possible time to change. Also, Connor, who happened to not look good at that point during OT and by his own admission was exhausted and dogging it on the backcheck, was in prime cherry-picking position.

Lastly, I'm not about to say that Mike Smith was bad because he, apart from McDavid, was a huge reason behind the Oilers' success in the first place, but that was a very stoppable shot.

When the second line is Nugent-Hopkins, a rookie, and Zack friggin' Kassian, you don't just have a crappy supporting cast. You have NO supporting cast.

If they have the "Yzerman talk" as the local scribes there keep saying with McDavid, I hope he demands a trade right then and there and storms out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins signed an eight-year, $41 million extension. 5.125M AAV with NMC.

Good value, surprised RNH didn't want to explore his options.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:11 am 

E.L. wrote:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins signed an eight-year, $41 million extension. 5.125M AAV with NMC.

I'm surprised he'd want to lock into an 8 year deal during the flat cap era. I thought all these guys would sign 2 year deals so the cap could rise and they could make more/year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:39 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I'm surprised he'd want to lock into an 8 year deal during the flat cap era. I thought all these guys would sign 2 year deals so the cap could rise and they could make more/year.

Probably just wanted the security. Waiting a couple years takes him to 30, he's not gonna cash in, especially given the numbers he puts up. He's a good player but by no means the superstar that came with his draft status.

The guys who should probably take bridge deals are the young RFAs who are in their early 20s. They could set themselves up for a huge payday by the time they reach UFA status at 27-28.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:45 pm 

Good point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:58 pm 

Too lazy to find the tweet but the Oilers are apparently the front-runners for the services of Duncan Keith. Still drives offense at a decent clip but at 37 is a shell of the player he once was. But thanks to that cap-dodging "lifetime" contract, his cap hit isn't massive and the actual salary owed is next to nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:24 pm 
Big in Japan

As long as he's not playing 22 mins a night.

Oilers could lose Barrie, Larsson to free agency, Klefbom to injury (permanently) and possibly even a Jones in the expansion draft, so they'll need a few dmen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:07 pm 

Oilers really needed to be making some bold moves...thus far I'm not really impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Oilers really needed to be making some bold moves...thus far I'm not really impressed.

Get Eichel :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Caleb Jones and a pick to Chicago for Duncan Keith. Chicago retains no salary.

Keith is old. If they expect him to replace one of Barrie, Larsson, Klefbom or even Jones, they might be disappointed.

Then again, he's got a pedigree and maybe a little left in the tank.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 pm 

He's better than Jones, but not enormously better.

Holland's track record in Detroit is obviously proven but geez...dude is obsessed with old guys.

I don't think this is a horrible move per se--Keith's contract in terms of cap hit and actual salary are easily absorbed, but my problem with this if I'm an Oilers fan is that this doesn't really do much to make the team demonstrably better. He's not an improvement over Larsson or Barrie, and now that he's in the fold they can't afford to bring both those guys back. It's just a whole lot of movement for essentially nothing. They also failed in a bid to try and dump Koskinen's onerous salary.

Chicago is obviously gearing up to take a run at Seth Jones. They're denying this move had anything to do with that. :jerkbag:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Yzerman should have made his way into this deal and retained salary to get assets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:19 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Yzerman should have made his way into this deal and retained salary to get assets.

He can still do that for guys like Koskinen or Neal (or Both!) and probably make out like a bandit. Especially now that Kenny just used up like $5 million in cap space.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

He can still do that for guys like Koskinen or Neal (or Both!) and probably make out like a bandit. Especially now that Kenny just used up like $5 million in cap space.

Koskinen would be great, we need a goalie. Give us some picks. Neal's got two years left but I doubt that Kenny will be eager to move any 1st rounders. He needs an infusion of young talent badly and trading picks to lose salary will not give him that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:44 pm 

A guy on HF says he talked to someone in Edmonton who build houses and he was bragging about building a new place for Taylor Hall. No idea if that means he lives in EDM in the offseason or if he's considering a return to the Oilers, but take it for what its worth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:19 pm 

Huh. Interesting...Adam Larsson signs with the Kraken for the same $$$ and term Edmonton was offering.

Also, Mike Smith signs for two years, two million. Yes, I said TWO YEARS. Dude's gonna be like 50 by the time the Oilers are done with him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Huh. Interesting...Adam Larsson signs with the Kraken for the same $$$ and term Edmonton was offering.

Also, Mike Smith signs for two years, two million. Yes, I said TWO YEARS. Dude's gonna be like 50 by the time the Oilers are done with him.

Getting Keith and losing Larsson, then doling out a fortune for Tyson Barrie, would be very Oilers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next