OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:36 am 
Big in Japan

The god damn plane has crashed into the mountain!

Fuck, this league is filled with stubborn fools.

First overall picks, wasted in this City of Chumps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:09 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

They definitely are blowing something even though this subject is incredibly vague as to what.

Nothing new to see here. Now the kids they were building around the first time are too old for the Oilers. Everything new is old again.

When you deliberately go for a "Pittsburgh style rebuild" you get quite a few Florida style ones.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/997 ... -rebuilds/

A pretty even-handed evaluation of the Avalanche and Oilers this season by DGB.

Can someone explain to me what "the swarm" is? It sounds very similar to the system Oates uses in Washington...the one that wasn't working at first until the players finally learned it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:05 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9973203/the-colorado-avalanche-edmonton-oilers-rebuilds/

A pretty even-handed evaluation of the Avalanche and Oilers this season by DGB.

Can someone explain to me what "the swarm" is? It sounds very similar to the system Oates uses in Washington...the one that wasn't working at first until the players finally learned it.

Good article but when I read it I still wonder why they didn't make an offer good enough to grab Schneider. They definitely have to improve their tending if they ever want to make the playoffs and they won't get it done with left overs from the lost and found box.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:29 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Fogghorn wrote:
Good article but when I read it I still wonder why they didn't make an offer good enough to grab Schneider. They definitely have to improve their tending if they ever want to make the playoffs and they won't get it done with left overs from the lost and found box.

If the rumors are true, they did outbid the Devils, but I can't blame Gillis for not wanting to punch Edmonton's playoff ticket (maybe not immediately... don't imagine they would have made it this year with how stacked the Pacific Division is).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:29 am 

Avs score a shorthanded goal to win against the Oil tonight mere moments after Mike Haynes mentions the Oilers give up a lot of shorthanded goals. They nearly gave up TWO on the same power play.

The one thing Krueger's Oilers did right last season was the power play. As someone just mentioned on Twitter, can't you just, y'know, watch video of the power play from last season? I realize it's not that cut-and-dried but it's largely the same players. What's Dallas doing so radically different from Ralph to have them faltering so badly on the man-advantage?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:54 am 

BTW, did not realize the Oil gave as much money to Eberle as they did to Hall. WTF!?

And I think Yak will be an elite player, but have the feeling it won't be for Edmonton. Didn't realize he has a pretty nasty shot on top of all his other tools.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
BTW, did not realize the Oil gave as much money to Eberle as they did to Hall. WTF!?

And I think Yak will be an elite player, but have the feeling it won't be for Edmonton. Didn't realize he has a pretty nasty shot on top of all his other tools.

The Eberle contract was baffling, but makes sense in the sense that he was treated the same as Hall by Oilers fans and media even though he was nearly 2 full years older. They couldn't grasp the whole 'a guy that makes the NHL at 20 isn't going to be as good as a guy in at 18 putting up the same numbers'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:06 pm 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor ... rade-buzz/

Quote:
Gagner’s no-movement clause doesn’t kick in until 2014-15, but GM Craig MacTavish reportedly promised not to trade him this season.

Why the fuck would you do that? It's one thing to promise Hall or RNH something, but Sam frickin' Gagner!?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm 

Apparently several HF Boards accounts popped up around the same time posting positive things about the Oilers. They were merged into one account, so it looks like user PETRYDISH is talking to himself.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1583255

Rumor has it these accounts were created by a PR firm hired by the Oilers.

Seems far-fetched to me, but hilarious if true.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 pm 
King of Men

Unfortunately that's the way the internet is going. This will be the rule more than its the exception now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Coyotes fan.

Kevin Lowe is a moron and a bully. Old boys club ******. You should be grateful that your ca base is going full mutiny and trying to ouster this idiotic dictator. Embrace the coup.
This is a very emotionally charged comment, Lowe has made mistakes, yes, however he's set on changing the path of this team. Even if one has done a poor job, paying for billboards around the city calling him to be fired is a bit much and really in the end won't do any good for this team.

Even better this sounds offshored!

I am certainly not laughing at the situation the Oilers are in now as their Alberta brothers look headed in this direction as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 pm 
OTP Clown

This thread on HF is so funny! Blame the fans for the lack of success? Reads like a post about the habs...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:10 pm 
OTP Clown

My favorite was how these PR folks were trying to become mods on HF right away.

someone needs to teach those people how the internet works...

And it's fucking HF... One does not simply just walk in and become a mod there :haha:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:09 am 

Stinky wrote:
And it's fucking HF... One does not simply just walk in and become a mod there :haha:

They need to come here... 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:21 pm 

Open letter by Katz to the fans.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441705

Hey, it's only Year Four of the rebuild. YEAR FOUR.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:06 pm 

For a long time this season I thought Dallas Eakins was in way, way over his head. But when I hear stuff like this, I realize he's absolutely the right guy for the job.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/1/22/5 ... ts-canucks

Love to see him put an idiot in the peanut gallery in his place. That guy should cover the Leafs or Flames. Those two teams value toughness and grit over actual hockey ability.

I still think they screwed up pulling the plug on Ralph Krueger (who just got hired by an English football club of all things) too soon, but if he's given something resembling a decent blueline and goaltending, Eakins will turn it around in Edmonton.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 pm 

From what I can tell, MacT didn't fire Krueger because he thought he deserved to be canned, he did it because he fell for Eakins hard and Eakins wanted a NHL gig.

The Oilers have had the same freaking assistant coaches since MacTavish was bench boss. You know, the results kind of speak for themselves... their loyalty to these guys is pretty insane.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:52 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:02 pm 
OTP Clown

Eeekins needs to channel David Teninch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Why would they give him the jersey, exactly?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next