OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am 
Big in Japan

Oilers sign Hyman to a 7 x 5.5M deal, re-sign Barrie to a manageable 3 x 4.5M deal and deal playoff scapegoat Ethan Bear to Carolina.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:58 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jonathan Willis pointed out that McDavid's metrics are actually take a dip whenever he's on the ice with Barrie. That's not what I would have expected.

Thought for certain Seattle would be interested as Barrie grew up not far from there, but as it turns out Larsson was the Oilers d-man they were interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Was hoping GMJB would pick up Bear and have a 2nd unit pairing called "Huggy Bear"...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:40 pm 
Big in Japan

8x9.25M rumoured for Nurse. As Bonk's Mullet said on Twitter: it turns out Alberta CAN pay a Nurse after all...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:46 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
8x9.25M rumoured for Nurse. As Bonk's Mullet said on Twitter: it turns out Alberta CAN pay a Nurse after all...

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:34 pm 
Big in Japan

The Foegele/Bear deal might turn out to be one of those moves where both sides get what they want. In Foegele, the Oil finally have the bottom six catalyst they've been looking for for years. Meanwhile, Bear looks like a cost-effective Dougie replacement in Lina.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:08 pm 

Woof. Can't imagine having a worse NHL debut than Dmitri Samorukov did last night. Got absolutely scorched for two goals against in less than three minutes of ice time, gets benched for the rest of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:39 am 
Big in Japan

This team desperately needs a goalie. Maybe that goalie can be Carey Price.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:01 pm 

I hope they hire Babcock. Like, if you really, really want Connor to put in that trade request, by all means, get Saskatchewan Ditka.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:47 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

I think I saw that by goals and expected goals, Koskinen has been perfectly average.

But it's easy to throw him under the bus when he was a Chiarelli signing. So...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:12 pm 

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I think I saw that by goals and expected goals, Koskinen has been perfectly average.

That makes him a decent enough backup but not a starter. Kenny fucked up big time not doing everything imaginable to snag a legit franchise netminder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Team defence sucks too. Almost as if Keith was bad and everyone saw it coming.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:10 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That makes him a decent enough backup but not a starter. Kenny fucked up big time not doing everything imaginable to snag a legit franchise netminder.

You mean Mike Smith is not that? You didn't think he could repeat his .923 in 32 games from last season???

Wings have got a Tomas Greiss for them with a lower cap hit than Koskinen. Send over picks with Kosk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:40 pm 

Bosc wrote:
You mean Mike Smith is not that? You didn't think he could repeat his .923 in 32 games from last season???

Wings have got a Tomas Greiss for them with a lower cap hit than Koskinen. Send over picks with Kosk.

The question isn't that, the question is whether or not an already injury-prone netminder who's roughly two months away from 40 and has already missed significant time this season can even be relied upon. And while he put up .923 in 32, he went 0-4 with a .912 percentage last playoffs. Not horrid numbers by any means, but if you got a team that wants to run and gun all the time, you need someone better.

Greiss to me is just more of the same. Kenny needs to do way better. Unfortunately, this last offseason, he looked at the awful team defense, and the shitty goaltending, and concluded that what this team needed was...Zach Hyman and a washed-up Duncan Keith.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:54 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

The question isn't that, the question is whether or not an already injury-prone netminder who's roughly two months away from 40 and has already missed significant time this season can even be relied upon. And while he put up .923 in 32, he went 0-4 with a .912 percentage last playoffs. Not horrid numbers by any means, but if you got a team that wants to run and gun all the time, you need someone better.

Greiss to me is just more of the same. Kenny needs to do way better. Unfortunately, this last offseason, he looked at the awful team defense, and the shitty goaltending, and concluded that what this team needed was...Zach Hyman and a washed-up Duncan Keith.

I hope you know I was being entirely sarcastic there! Of course he wasn't going to repeat last season.

I'm entirely fine if the Oilers want to do more of the same and give Detroit assets to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:17 pm 

Bosc wrote:
I hope you know I was being entirely sarcastic there! Of course he wasn't going to repeat last season.

I'm entirely fine if the Oilers want to do more of the same and give Detroit assets to do it.

I had a feeling you might be but I wasn't sure. I think I've been on HF and Twitter too much lately.

And yes I am perfectly fine with the brain trust in Edmonton being handed a generational talent and another elite-level scoring forward and completely wasting their respective primes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Brutal 6-0 loss to the Panthers. Their season has fallen off the rails.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:08 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

They started off so hot, you had to know it would fall apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:27 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
They started off so hot, you had to know it would fall apart.

It was never sustainable. Their even strength numbers have been terrible from the start, they were getting by with an insanely good power play and goaltending that was good enough. Once both of those two things came crashing back to Earth, well, we're seeing the results.

Fun fact, Boy Genius over at The Athletic pointed out that RYAN HARTMAN has roughly the same point totals at even strength as Connor McDavid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:34 pm 

I'm hearing Darryl Katz is now getting involved, so something may happen...I'm not sure.

Feels like the Connor McDavid trade request is inevitable at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next