OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/30/395167 ... taken.html

Got it the same way Foster and Sturm did, chasing down an icing call.

Just change the fucking rule already.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

As much as that sucks for him & the Oilers, I like the rule as it is. A speedy forward beating a D-man back & turning for a wrap-around attempt is one of the most exciting plays in hockey. I know you're thinking "and how often does that happen?" Probably a lot more than a guy breaking a leg does.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:42 am 

Chris18 wrote:
As much as that sucks for him & the Oilers, I like the rule as it is. A speedy forward beating a D-man back & turning for a wrap-around attempt is one of the most exciting plays in hockey. I know you're thinking "and how often does that happen?" Probably a lot more than a guy breaking a leg does.

Really? Usually if there's danger of that happening the goalie comes out and takes care of it. A LOT more often? Actually, I would say no, not a lot. When's the last time you remember that happening? And really I can think of a lot of exciting moments in hockey--chasing down an icing call for a scoring chance really doesn't factor into my top ten.

And really, it's worth having guy lose a year or more time to watch them pointlessly try and snag a puck? Hockey players are faster, bigger, and stronger than ever. Some rules just need to be changed to accomodate that.

It really just wastes time. Blow the whistle, drop the puck, and let's get on with it.

If the Euro rule irks you they've been talking about a hybrid rule for years. I really don't see much argument against it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 pm 

I disagree with you. I like the race for the puck. I don't see many players/year hurt. I watch kids' hockey with the no-touch icing & I hate it. It's a boring play. The race is what can make icing the puck interesting. Take that away & the game becomes less interesting, which to me, is bad.

It takes some of the speed from the game. My favorite team has fast players. I want to see them racing some slow D-men for the puck. How often does someone break a leg going for an iced puck? Is this really why the Isles have had over 500 man-games lost to injury for the last 3 years & I just haven't noticed this being the cause? No it isn't. Injuries on this play are not exactly common. So why fuck with it? Sure it sucks when someone gets hurt, but for God's sakes, it's hockey! It's a collision sport!

I know- they could put 4' thick foam padding on the back boards for the players to softly cushion their stops.
Or they could have their nanny yell to them to stop early so they don't go boom and fall downy-wowny.
Call an icing off if the player pulls off a triple-axle after shooting it down. Why not? We're trying to turn hockey into figure skating anyway.
Award a goal for the team not icing the puck- that'd stop it in a hurry, right?

Enough with the fucking game/rule changes. The game kicks ass as it has been. Stop screwing with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:09 pm 

Sorry, but the "pussification of the game" argument doesn't apply here. Using a hybrid icing rule makes the game less tough? Come on.

Players are faster, goalies are better puckhandlers, so to me chasing down an icing call just seems pointless. Take away the stupid trapezoid that shouldn't be there in the first place and you could implement a hybrid rule that makes for hurry-up faceoffs instead of watching a guy needlessly cruise down the ice to touch a puck (which happens a lot more often than a "race" for the puck). I'd argue getting them to line up in the icing team's zone quicker and more often would offset the occasional race for the puck. And really, the only time I see a race for the puck that I'd put money on the forward is if Dustin Byfuglien is the last guy back.

Apparently some douchebags on Twitter have been giving Eric Nystrom a tough time about this. And he's been responding.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... um=twitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:17 pm 

How often does somebody get hurt on one of these plays? To change a rule that has been in place for longer than TCL has been alive because guys get hurt once in a blue-green moon is just stupid. Stop making changes to the game, especially if it protects a player "once in a while".

You said yourself races for the puck are rare, so how many players is it going to protect? Few and far between. So why screw with the game?

Sucks for Nystrom to have a bunch of keyboard jockeys harassing him. That's not what he deserves for playing hard. He's obviously made attempts to see the kid and express his concern. Can't ask for more than that after an unfortunate freak accident.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:26 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Saving the race saves time on the clock for real plays, like the faceoff play on the other end with the tired opposition out there, which has a greater chance of turning into a real scoring play than beating a d-man for the puck. In an average hockey game, if there are lets say 10 icing calls, there is probably 20-30 seconds of wasted time just going back to retrieve the puck.

Chris, no touch is the rule of the game in major junior, NCAA, every level of minor hockey, Europe, IIHF, etc., and if they exported the game to a different planet it would be a version with no touch.

I'm not willing to keep a rule around just because once every ten games it leads to a modestly exciting play, the equivelant of a d-man making a good pinch that keeps a play alive.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:59 pm 

Well why don't you & Av go check all those other ice-based planets to see how they play, and leave me grounded here on Earth to watch my collision-laden icing rushes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:02 am 
King of the One-Liner

Wonder how much average game time is lost from when the puck crosses the goal line on an icing and till someone touches it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
Well why don't you & Av go check all those other ice-based planets to see how they play, and leave me grounded here on Earth to watch my collision-laden icing rushes.

Oh Chris you know how the Professor does not like his body contact!

If another player so much as points his stick at another player Shanny is suspending him.

Sorry Chris we're going the way of the dinosaurs on this one. I like the races to the puck however I've all but given up on fighting the Euro-fication of this game. When men collide they get hurt. Pad the whole rink or take the hitting completely out. There is no middle of the road anymore. I don't even think fighting belongs in the game at this point. Take away the folks that like the contact and you cut deeper into a dwindling fanbase. Even though at the end of the day I'll probably still be here.

I am trying to enjoy this evolution of free flowing hockey. Last nights tilt between Washington and Tampa was awesome until the closing gimmick....but that's a different thread.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:54 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Oh Chris you know how the Professor does not like his body contact!

Oh, you wanna throw down? Okay, I'm game.

Watching two guys tangle each other up racing for an iced puck and tumbling into the boards at full speed is not "body contact." That is not hitting, it's just two guys trying to get in each other's way, which, if you knew a damned thing about the game, is AGAINST THE RULES at any level. That's not contact, it's not hitting, and it's not hockey. It's just two guys #1 wasting time that could be better spent playing the game and #2 leads to needless, stupid, career-threatening injuries, and for what!? The chance to see a play that never happens?

You want "old school?" How about we get rid of helmets? How about we let guys get away with blatant two-handed lumberjack chops to the opposition like Bobby Clarke used to do? How about we make goalies wear Jacques Plante masks?

It's one thing to say the game is being over-legislated, which it is, it's another to simply ignore necessary rule changes because of it. Don't lump this in with the trapezoid or the over-the-glass penalty or any other stupid rule changes that have besieged the game of late. Hockey, like any other sport, needs to evolve sometimes.

I don't like body contact? Harmy...give me a few months to get my flabby ass back into form, we can do a drop-in game and have beers afterwards, and you can see whether or not I like "body contact". As everyone well knows, I'm not a big guy, but I'm willing to bet I threw more hits during my time playing than you did. I grew up playing the game, I'm as old-school as anyone...icing as it is right now isn't old school. It's unnecessary.

I may have overreacted just now and thought about editing this post...but fuck it. Maybe I'm getting a little scrappier in my old age. I figure if anyone can appreciate that, it's Jay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:18 pm 
King of the One-Liner

This is how a picture Harmy reading all that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:05 pm 
King of Men

:laugh: LMAO.....that is how I read that. A big shit eating grin on my face. Good.....Good.....I can feel your anger........channel your hatred.....tap into it!

I think no touch icing is boring and I like the effort level. I think it is hockey. Anytime someone gets near the boards and gets hit or can't stop in time there is potential to get hurt. Might as well build that shit out of NERF. I guess we just disagree on that.

There's some jackwagon talking about people getting killed by it.......seriously? What drama........ that being said I am all for taking it out. Might as well go all the way if we are going to do this. Let's evolve, Euro-ficate, pansify, whatever we are all going not to agree to call it and get on with it. Like I said....I'll probably still be here either way.

Well I have been taking skating lessons lately but I don't think that's going to help me....so......i can go real fast in one direction and I can stop now! My on ice movement is akin to a convulsing wildebeast.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:02 pm 

Well Jay, you can be on my team. If you can skate fast in one direction but not stop- you can beat some lazy fucker to the iced pucks! :D

someone could die- from an icing race? holy crap. Really? Has this jackass realized that the game is played on sharp metal skates? If they saw the Malarchuk or Zednik incidents, they'd say we should remove the blades- and play on wheels. Or how about a foam pit?

Again I ask it- how often does someone get hurt on this play? I agree- this situation sucks for Fedun & the Oilers, but this has about the same odds as winning the lottery. I'll take the race for the puck, and the ability of the winning team to wait a few seconds to touch it if the team losing by a goal or two is dumb enough to ice it.

I just think too many rules have been changed in the past 10 years or so. Some fringe fans I knew have stopped watching hockey because they said every time they learned the rules- they changed. It turns people off. This rule, which might save 1 injury/year would just be another. I don't like it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:31 am 

Had to do a search to re-find this thread.

So Av, you may find this vindicating or amusing, or annoying.
I was watching the Isles/Pens game 7 from 93 last night (walking on a treadmill, might as well watch something that keeps the heart rate up, right?).

Early in the first period the Pens iced the puck & Rich Pilon touches it. 1/10th of a second after the whistle blows Kevin Stevens, who had talked all sorts of shit about the Isles during that series, hit Pilon, and both went down. Dipshit Stevens slammed his own face into Pilon's helmet, breaking his nose, concussing himself. Pilon, got up and looked back down at Stevens like "WTF is wrong with that pansy?" Stevens was taken off on a stretcher, to the hospital, to watch his team lose to the lowly Isles on an ER TV. Smart move Stevens!

So maybe this is an argument for your side, but I laughed like hell at what a moron Stevens was to do it, probably costing his team a very good shot at a three-peat. He had 58 goals that year, and didn't last 5 minutes of Game 7. Took himself out on a dirty/routine play. What a shithead.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Had to do a search to re-find this thread.

So Av, you may find this vindicating or amusing, or annoying.
I was watching the Isles/Pens game 7 from 93 last night (walking on a treadmill, might as well watch something that keeps the heart rate up, right?).

Early in the first period the Pens iced the puck & Rich Pilon touches it. 1/10th of a second after the whistle blows Kevin Stevens, who had talked all sorts of shit about the Isles during that series, hit Pilon, and both went down. Dipshit Stevens slammed his own face into Pilon's helmet, breaking his nose, concussing himself. Pilon, got up and looked back down at Stevens like "WTF is wrong with that pansy?" Stevens was taken off on a stretcher, to the hospital, to watch his team lose to the lowly Isles on an ER TV. Smart move Stevens!

So maybe this is an argument for your side, but I laughed like hell at what a moron Stevens was to do it, probably costing his team a very good shot at a three-peat. He had 58 goals that year, and didn't last 5 minutes of Game 7. Took himself out on a dirty/routine play. What a shithead.

The hit to the helmet KO'd him, but it was the falling to the ice straight on his face that caused most of the damage.

Wasn't Pilon himself one of the dirtiest players in the game?

Stats:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-in ... r_by=goals

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Bosc wrote:
Wasn't Pilon himself one of the dirtiest players in the game?

I definitely remember Penguin fans hating Pilon after that (and of course blaming the visor), but it's been a long time since I've seen the collision itself. I wouldn't be surprised if it went down more or less as Chris described, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:36 pm 

Well I'm jaded, as I liked Pilon. I thought he was a legit enforcer, and not really a dirty player. He hit like a truck (when he could find someone not-so fleet of foot enough to hit), and fought well. But I really don't think of him as an Ulf Samuelsson type.

In this case Stevens was looking to crush someone, since many considered his trash talk to be what sparked the Isles in Game 6.

In that hit Pilon's head was down looking at the puck. He was wearing the visor due to a puck to the eye earlier in the year (year before?). that put a damper on his fighting.

Love the hindernet- Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167X7PjO6oo