OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:31 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3476

If you don't read Tyler Dellow, you're doing yourself an injustice. Sure, he's a bit of an asshole (got into a debate with him on Twitter about CHL Imports a couple weeks back), but that's because he's a lawyer. Watch him rake the coals on his team... which doesn't get roasted enough in the media, and only on blogs it seems. Oilers blogs are pretty hilarious... the bad teams with passionate fanbases are always the most entertaining. It's amazing how much the Leafs get panned but the Oilers escape the media's eye...

Quote:
So in the past two weeks, we’ve had big free agent signing Nikolai Khabibulin sentenced to 30 days in prison, expensive senior advisor Pat Quinn acknowledge that he doesn’t really know what he’s going to do this year and now, with $9MM left on his contract, Sheldon Souray has been told to stay away from training camp. I don’t even want to know what we’re going to find out about Dustin Penner. It’s hard to believe that they could have obtained such bad results when they tried but then, when you continuously make stupid bets, sometimes you’re going to have a really bad run.

For a man trying to build a new arena (of course, without his own money), he certainly likes throwing a lot of money out the window. If they continue to do this under a single owner, it can't be long before the team is put on the market. Or else Katz sinks a lot of money like Wang on LI or Leonsis did in Washington for years. Big difference: Leonsis had a new barn.

Does anyone really believe the Oilers will parlay their recent woes into long term success? To me, this looks a lot like Waddell in Atlanta or Maclean in Columbus.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Horcoff named team captain BTW.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. There's been a ridiculously sudden infusion of young talent (Paajaarvi-fuck-you-for-taking-off-the-Svensson, Eberle, Hall, and even whiny-butt Omark waiting in the wings back in OKC) up front, unfortunately the goaltending is still a big question mark and I simply don't know what to make of their blueline.

Also, this is Renney's third try as a head coach in the NHL, I'm betting he'll do well this year before the kids tune him out. He'll definitely employ a more defensive-minded system that should cover up for some of the defense's shortcomings, though no one knows if a team this young will actually buy into it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 am 
No Longer Croozin'

These don't look like the same Oilers,WOW!!Eberle looks awesome not to mention Hall,Hemsky and the rest of this young talented squad,I'll jinx them now and predict the playoffs for these lads.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 pm 

Maybe Hemsky's the guy to go.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Quote:
In Edmonton, Hemsky has to be the Oilers main offensive component. But his critics will tell you he's too individualistic and the play often dies in his hands.

That makes no sense to me. He's a playmaking winger. How is it he's individualistic and the play dies in his hands if his bread and butter has always been his ability to set up others?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Maybe Hemsky's the guy to go.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Quote:
In Edmonton, Hemsky has to be the Oilers main offensive component. But his critics will tell you he's too individualistic and the play often dies in his hands.

That makes no sense to me. He's a playmaking winger. How is it he's individualistic and the play dies in his hands if his bread and butter has always been his ability to set up others?

The RW version of Forsberg without the ability to hand on to the puck?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:22 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
The RW version of Forsberg without the ability to hand on to the puck?

Ah...that's a good explanation. :lol: