OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:35 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=412714

Quote:
Colleen Howe, the wife of "Mr. Hockey," Gordie Howe, passed away Friday at the family's home in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., at the age of 76.

Married to the hockey legend for 56 years, Colleen, also known as "Mrs. Hockey," had suffered since 2002 from Pick's Disease, a degenerative neurological disorder that causes severe dementia.

"We extend our deepest condolences to Gordie, Mark, Marty, Cathy, Murray and the entire Howe family," Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch said in a statement released by the team. "Colleen was a pioneer hockey wife and hockey mom and devoted her entire life to the betterment of the game. She will be sincerely missed by us and all who knew her."

"The National Hockey League grieves the passing of Colleen Howe -- a formidable woman, the wife and partner of our iconic player, the matriarch of a remarkable hockey family," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "On behalf of generations of fans, we send our deepest condolences to Gordie and his loved ones."

Quote:
Colleen was more than just the wife of a hockey legend. Dissatisfied with the state of junior hockey while her children were growing up, she helped found the Detroit Junior Red Wings, the first Junior A hockey team in the U.S., and also helped develop the first indoor ice arena in Michigan -- fittingly named Gordie Howe Hockeyland. Detroit-area NHL products like Mike Modano have said they owe a great deal of their career to her efforts.

She later formed Power Play International, which managed the on- and off-ice business interests of herself, Gordie and her hockey-playing sons, Mark and Marty. She wrote three books -- "After the Applause," "My Three Hockey Players," and "and … HOWE!", and worked with Gordie to help raise millions of dollars for charity.

Colleen was named the Michigan Sportswoman of the Year in 1973. In 2001 she and Gordie received the Wayne Gretzky Award from the United States Hockey Hall of Fame for their contributions to hockey in the U.S.

RIP Mrs. Hockey. Condolences to the Howe family.

There could and should be two Lester Patrick trophies in the Howe trophy case.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:19 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Ed Willes wrote:
And finally, Harry Neale tells a fabulous story about coaching the Hartford Whalers and the Howes in the old WHA. One game, it seems, Gordie and Mark got their usual allotment of ice time but Marty, a serviceable defenceman, didn't play that much.

This didn't sit too well with Marty's mother, Colleen, who confronted Neale after the game.

"Harry," she said with eyes narrowed, "When I come to the rink I expect to see all my boys play."

Colleen Howe passed away on Friday after a long and very sad battle with a degenerative neurological condition, but her place in hockey's history is secure.

Four decades ago, she became the first female agent in the game when she negotiated deals for her husband and her two sons with the Houston Aeros and the Whalers.

She also battled as hard off the ice as her boys battled on it. Gordie's toughness, of course, is legendary, but he needed someone to fight his battles in the business world and that fell to Colleen, maybe the toughest Howe of them all.

Had no idea she held that status. Are there even any female agents now? (Assuming Bonnie Lindros doesn't count).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:27 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Jyrki21 wrote:
Ed Willes wrote:
And finally, Harry Neale tells a fabulous story about coaching the Hartford Whalers and the Howes in the old WHA. One game, it seems, Gordie and Mark got their usual allotment of ice time but Marty, a serviceable defenceman, didn't play that much.

This didn't sit too well with Marty's mother, Colleen, who confronted Neale after the game.

"Harry," she said with eyes narrowed, "When I come to the rink I expect to see all my boys play."

Colleen Howe passed away on Friday after a long and very sad battle with a degenerative neurological condition, but her place in hockey's history is secure.

Four decades ago, she became the first female agent in the game when she negotiated deals for her husband and her two sons with the Houston Aeros and the Whalers.

She also battled as hard off the ice as her boys battled on it. Gordie's toughness, of course, is legendary, but he needed someone to fight his battles in the business world and that fell to Colleen, maybe the toughest Howe of them all.

Had no idea she held that status. Are there even any female agents now? (Assuming Bonnie Lindros doesn't count).

Or other mom's (Ovechkin's mom did his contract, Tavares' mom took over but I don't think permanently)...

Anna Greenstin

The only certified female agent on the NHLPA's list... although there is a dude named Stacey McAlpine.

Then there's this dude, who kinda looks like the Finnish Dave Frost:

http://www.nhlpa.com/Agents/Agent.asp?AgentId=28952

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

For the record, I can't find out who Anna Greenstin represents at all, although her father (I assume) Gary Greenstin represents Pavel Datsyuk.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb