OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:58 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Besides finding a new head coach, along with a good assistant coaching staff, Steve Yzerman is going to have a busy summer all around in getting the Red Wings back on track towards becoming a playoff-contending team. Included in this, of course, is the NHL Draft preparation, UFA releases or retaining current Red Wings or signing other UFA's this summer. Let me know if these links don't work and I'll post the articles as best I can.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2022/05/02/detroit-red-wings-coach-new-coach-steve-yzerman-do-list/9598579002/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Wings draft Marco Kasper 8th overall at the draft. They drafted some other guys as well.

Acquired Husso for some lower round picks and promptly signed him for 3 years at $4.75. His season last year was a tale of two different seasons. Ned becomes a good trade chip if the Wings aren't in playoff contention and he has a strong season.

Lots of filling in the lineup on free agency day.

Andrew Copp 5 x $5.625M
David Perron 2 x $4.750M
Dominik Kubalik 2 x $2.5M

Olli Määttä 1 x $2.25M

Aaaand the absolute garbage deal handed to Ben Chiarot 4 x $4.75M

The other deals I can understand. Copp here for the long haul, Perron Kubalik and Maata(the latter two still only 26 and 27) could all be dealt to contenders at the deadline if the Wings are on the wrong side of the playoff picture. But the Chiarot deal is a big overpayment for a physical vet. We've seen Yzerman do that in Tampa with Coburn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:37 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Wings draft Marco Kasper 8th overall at the draft. They drafted some other guys as well.

Acquired Husso for some lower round picks and promptly signed him for 3 years at $4.75. His season last year was a tale of two different seasons. Ned becomes a good trade chip if the Wings aren't in playoff contention and he has a strong season.

Lots of filling in the lineup on free agency day.

Andrew Copp 5 x $5.625M
David Perron 2 x $4.750M
Dominik Kubalik 2 x $2.5M

Olli Määttä 1 x $2.25M

Aaaand the absolute garbage deal handed to Ben Chiarot 4 x $4.75M

The other deals I can understand. Copp here for the long haul, Perron Kubalik and Maata(the latter two still only 26 and 27) could all be dealt to contenders at the deadline if the Wings are on the wrong side of the playoff picture. But the Chiarot deal is a big overpayment for a physical vet. We've seen Yzerman do that in Tampa with Coburn.

I was puzzled by that contract too. But, I trust Steve Yzerman's judgement, and after a couple of years if it doesn't pan out we can move him along. If we can also add Edvinsson and Soderbloom to the lineup we have a nice contingent of size, so maybe, Guys like Larkin can stay healthier and on the ice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Chiarot was a good warrior for Montreal so I don't want to sell him down the river too hastily, but he looked bad in Florida in a speedier environment. His late 20s at 3.5M was a good deal, hopefully they don't ride him too much in Detroit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:39 pm 

Detroit adds 3 depth free agents who will likely spend time moving between Detroit and Grand Rapids. They are Defenseman Mark Pysyk, a veteran of 521 NHL games, who was signed for one year, $850,000. Center Austin Czarnik received a two-year, $1.525 million contract and right wing Matt Luff was signed for a one-year, $750,000.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2022/07/14/detroit-red-wings-free-agency-mark-pysyk/10057422002/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Stevie Y is one of those guys who makes brilliant, nuanced decisions based on all the evidence he can find, but every now and then he just gets fixated on one player and just gots to have him. Chris Kunitz is the biggest example of this. I don't know if Chiarot is in that category but I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way, I think Detroit has had a good offseason thus far. Personally I think Husso has it within him to be a good, if not great, starter, as he put up really good regular season numbers for a Blues team that was downright atrocious defensively.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:23 pm 
Big in Japan

I like Pysyk a lot. Nothing flashy, but routinely a plus contributor in an 17-18 min a night role.

Who's going to be the 2C next season? Any talk about Copp doing it? Also, any news on Veleno's standing with the team? With Hughes adding Matheson, it's clear he's interesting in adding former clients.