OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I am by no stretch of the imagination qualified, nor informed, enough to judge a coach's job performance but, Steve Yzerman's take on Jeff Blashill leaves me stupified. The team was struck by a really bad series of injuries and they gave away good players for draft picks the last 3 years at the trade deadline but for cryin' out loud... This was the 3rd worst record by the Detroit Red Wings in their entire history. How Blashill keeps his job is just beyond me.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2020/05/27/jeff-blashill-return-sixth-season-red-wings-coach-steve-yzerman-says/5266595002/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Blashill is being judged on one thing: are the youngsters improving? Bertuzzi, Larkin and Mantha seem to be good. Not sure about the young defencemen.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 pm 
OTP Historian

I can't believe it's year 6. I was like "Ok, his 4th season in Detroit...". Geez.

But yeah Skip, EL's right, it's all about development of the kids. Yzerman knew this team was going nowhere and needed to move what assets could be moved for futures. The results on the ice didn't matter. Development of the kids and whether there is a better coach available for this core of players. Maybe. I thought they should have moved on Trotz the second he was available. Would Gallant be a better fit with a young group? How many years would he command? If Yzerman was going to make that change, he certainly has a history with Gallant.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:38 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yzerman knows they're likely tanking it at least one more year. Maybe less tanking and more of a transition, but either way, they still ain't ready. If the kids are developing properly so far, I can see why he wouldn't make a change. I also think Stevie Y feels the ideal candidate isn't out there yet. He's shown in the past he has no problems making a change if he feels the right guy is there, he proved that when he sacked Boucher and promoted Cooper in Tampa.

Personally I think he should make a run for former Red Wing Gerard Gallant, but maybe he already did and things just didn't work out, that's just speculation on my part though.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Blashill is being judged on one thing: are the youngsters improving? Bertuzzi, Larkin and Mantha seem to be good. Not sure about the young defencemen.

This is my problem, Eric. I agree that Blashill's job is developing the kids. With the exception of Tyler Bertuzzi, all the rest of the top prospects had a worse year, statistically, in 2019/2020 then what they had accomplished the year before. I know they played 11 fewer games than in 2018/2019, but, all the same, they just looked worse last year. The year before they seemed to be starting to show their progress. I think that they have become tired of Blashill's voice. They've been listening to it for 5 years and it's just not getting through anymore. I just think it's time for fresh voices behind the bench in Detroit, for what that's worth.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 am 

RW wrote:
This is my problem, Eric. I agree that Blashill's job is developing the kids. With the exception of Tyler Bertuzzi, all the rest of the top prospects had a worse year, statistically, in 2019/2020 then what they had accomplished the year before. I know they played 11 fewer games than in 2018/2019, but, all the same, they just looked worse last year. The year before they seemed to be starting to show their progress. I think that they have become tired of Blashill's voice. They've been listening to it for 5 years and it's just not getting through anymore. I just think it's time for fresh voices behind the bench in Detroit, for what that's worth.

Just FYI Mantha's underlying numbers at even strength were frickin' MASSIVE this year. His numbers on the power play took a dip though.

I dunno...I think the biggest reason the Wings were on pace to finish at a record low was the biggest reason the Avalanche finished at a record low three seasons prior: The goaltending completely and totally imploded. Not the ONLY reason for either team, mind you, but the biggest. When you can't buy a save, it takes a toll, no matter how good or bad the team is in front, as well as the guy behind the bench. I don't think that's on the coach. This team was just bad, and they knew it was going to be bad. The lack of a real goalie just turned it from "bad" to "holy shit are you kidding me"? Trust me, I had to witness this particular episode already.

I'm guessing Blashill won't be there when Detroit's ready to win again. At present talent appears to be developing at an okay pace, and he's not doing anything to harm the team or poison the locker room, so he can probably just serve as a placeholder for now until a better candidate comes along. Or maybe he saves his job with a nice turnaround season (though I doubt it).

I haven't seen the Wings play much, but the few times I did, they didn't strike me as unengaged. They just weren't any good.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:17 pm 

And now Blashill will be back for Year 7.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:37 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
And now Blashill will be back for Year 7.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

This is no surprise. He really did a pretty good job this year with the team that was available. They were, for the most part, competitive in every game. They took 7th place in the division, over Columbus, and they exceeded last years point total in fewer games. Blashill also had to deal with a lot of injuries to key players, Bertuzzi, Larkin, Ryan and for about a month Bernier. That said I still think, despite the improvement of the team, he is still on a tight leash.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:38 pm 

I think it's only one year so it ain't like they're on the hook if they choose to go elsewhere.

In other news, Larkin confirms his season-ending "upper body" injury was the result of a cross check to the neck by upstanding citizen and cunnilingus enthusiast Jamie Benn, and that he was temporarily hospitalized as a result.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:33 pm 

Even if the extension is for two years that's not something that would stop Detroit from firing Blashill if by the middle of next season the Red Wings are in last place and playing poorly.

On other notes, Asst. Coach Dan Bylsma has left the Red Wings to pursue other NHL opportunities. Bylsma was in charge of the Forwards and the Power Play unit which ended up ranked 30th in the NHL.

Marc Staal (D) is keeping open the option to re-sign with Detroit.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2021/05/19/marc-staal-plans-keep-options-open-free-agency-not-ruling-out-return-detroit-red-wings/5170667001/

Larkin hopes to be ready to go at the start of next season.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2021/05/19/detroit-red-wings-dylan-larkin-feels-pretty-lucky-after-late-season-neck-injury/5163011001/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:02 pm 

Well...Red Wings fans should be familiar with this guy.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/red-w ... -325526982

Alex Tanguay joins the Wings as an assistant coach. He was previously an assistant with Tim Army in the AHL with the Iowa Wild.