OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:47 am 
OTP Historian

Wings lose, give up 5. Rinse, repeat.

Erne gets his first two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:22 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Chris18 wrote:
Saw that with Montgomery, 4 NHL coaches have been fired since the Wings last won a game. That has to be some sort of record.

Sorry Bosc & RW. I know how these times feel. Been through it many years.

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the thoughts. This isn't my first rodeo. I've already been through the "Dead Things" era of the 1970s and 1980s so this isn't anything new to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 am 
OTP Historian

Bert the lone Red Wings All-Star, now leading the team in goals(15) and points(31). He's a puck-tipping machine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:04 am 
King of Men

Good God....is that really a -68 goal Diff? Sorry guys...that's tough!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So for comparison the 2016-17 Colorado Avalanche finished their Season of Fail at 22-56-4 for a total of 48 points and a mind-boggling -112 goal differential. For perspective the next-worst differentials were Arizona at -63 (28th place), Vancouver at -61 (29th place, and still yet 21 points BETTER than the Avs), and New Jersey, also at -61 (27th place).

The Wings at exactly the halfway point have gone 10-28-3 for 23 points. In order to tie the Avs' mark of futility they'll need 25 points, or just 12 more wins and a loser point. I just cannot see them falling short of that mark. Their goal differential of -68 is 33 worse than the next-worst team, New Jersey, at -35.

In the end, it doesn't matter a ton in hindsight if you were last place by a country mile or last place by two or three points, so long as you take that lottery pick and do something with it. But, I'll admit, it is sure as hell tough to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:50 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Yeah, sorry you have to watch that, Bosc and Rdub...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm 

Better to suffer through one or two years of agony with someone competent at the helm than perpetually circling the drain that teams like Minnesota and Philadelphia do every year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:53 am 

Aw, shut up, Brian. I don't blame Larkin one bit for saying this.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/19205 ... um=twitter

After what happened to Rob Blake in the '04 ASG I generally don't bother voting players from my team in. Really, I get why they do these things but...meh. I don't care for All-Star games in any sport.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:21 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
After what happened to Rob Blake in the '04 ASG I generally don't bother voting players from my team in. Really, I get why they do these things but...meh. I don't care for All-Star games in any sport.

See also: DiPietro, Rick. (You can start your search for him in the trainer's room or the ER)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:

What happened there?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:52 pm 

Bosc wrote:
What happened there?

Prior to the break, he was playing far and away his best hockey in an Avs uniform--no doubt in my mind would have been a Norris finalist had he continued on that pace. He was even making MARTY SKOULA look like a top pairing guy (IMO if he had been coached correctly I think he would've been far better than he was, but alas). I remember thinking "Boy it'd really suck if Blake got injured at the All-Star Game" when he made the team. Sure enough, on a totally innocuous play, a guy slides right into his leg, doesn't even knock him over but it's a pretty awkward collision. He plays the rest of the game IIRC but afterwards has to miss time due to a sprain of some sort that resulted. By the time he came back he just wasn't the same. He was GOOD, just not at that level. Blake played one more season and then was lost due to a slight cap miscalculation. I've been very bitter ever since. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

See also: DiPietro, Rick. (You can start your search for him in the trainer's room or the ER)

I think we are all of the same mindset here. I would rather see my "stars" rest....or a World Hockey Championship than this stupid mid-season event. Maybe they should just change it to the Showcase game....that way the NHL gets their dog and pony show and star players are optional (or incentivized). Do they have to go? Is there any financial bonus? No one wants to play in meaningless displays of pageantry where there is a possibility of getting hurt. Maybe move this thing to the offseason or something (like football and disneyworld).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:55 pm 

Analysis: Jimmy Howard Sucks.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2020/ ... his-season

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:37 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:

Yeah...I was banging the drum to trade him last season while he was performing, on an expiring deal, and there were playoff teams getting awful goaltending. But alas...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:05 am 

Is Howard someone who challenges shooters a lot? Because he's certainly not doing that this year based on what I've seen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:56 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Is Howard someone who challenges shooters a lot? Because he's certainly not doing that this year based on what I've seen.

He used to be pretty aggressive in cutting down the angles. Haven't watched enough to know if he's changed that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:32 pm 

Jesus...I'm reading on Twitter that Mantha has been recovering from a punctured lung. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:34 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Jesus...I'm reading on Twitter that Mantha has been recovering from a punctured lung. :shock:

Yeah from the Muzzin takedown from the sounds of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:15 pm 

Jimmy Howard is 2-20-2. That is insane.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am 
King of Men

Eghad -97 with less than 20 games to go.....

looks like the record is:

Lowest Goal Differential: -265, by the 1974–75 Washington Capitals

so at least that's safe!

But as far as the Modern era that Avs -116 is still attainable.

Its hard to watch the Wings do this but it does happen like a wave as long as management/scouting is still effective.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next