OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Niklas Kronwall retires
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am 
Big in Japan

The dependable defenceman calls it a career after 953 games. Had some solid offensive seasons, including a 51-point campaign in 2009 and a 49 pointer in 13-14.

Even though he didn't really establish himself until after the lockout, I still connect him with those elite Wings teams. Maybe it was because he was drafted in 2000.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:25 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
The dependable defenceman calls it a career after 953 games. Had some solid offensive seasons, including a 51-point campaign in 2009 and a 49 pointer in 13-14.

Even though he didn't really establish himself until after the lockout, I still connect him with those elite Wings teams. Maybe it was because he was drafted in 2000.

It's really too bad that injuries derailed his early career, but in his prime he was a beast. The fancy stats available for him from a couple of years after the '08 Cup were pretty amazing, so it would have been really interesting to see his fancy stats during the Cup Finals years.

Great career and such a unique player for the Wings for a long time. So recognizable on the ice in his style and look.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I've never seen a player commit to a hit like he did. The one he laid on Lecavalier took everything he had.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:42 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I've never seen a player commit to a hit like he did. The one he laid on Lecavalier took everything he had.

Which one was that? I don't remember a big one on Lecavalier...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Which one was that? I don't remember a big one on Lecavalier...

You sure it wasn't the opposite? https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/got ... ecavalier/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 pm 

I tried looking it up, I could've sworn it was on Vinny, but I could be wrong. Kronwall lined the player up and then LAUNCHED backward into him. If he hadn't made contact he'd have looked really foolish. I know for sure it was a big player, someone hard to knock down, but maybe not Lecavalier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Briere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPFNkCg7GTE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:34 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I tried looking it up, I could've sworn it was on Vinny, but I could be wrong. Kronwall lined the player up and then LAUNCHED backward into him. If he hadn't made contact he'd have looked really foolish. I know for sure it was a big player, someone hard to knock down, but maybe not Lecavalier.

I can't recall him missing many at all. He got so many guys right in that spot where they're starting a breakout and aren't expecting to get leveled at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:23 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

It was probably this hit on Kucherov. Here is also a link to a compilation of Kronwall's biggest hits from an Mlive story.

https://expo.mlive.com/sports/g66l-2019/09/ac6235267e4262/you-got-kronwalled-niklas-kronwalls-biggest-hits-for-red-wings.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:32 pm 

No, the one I remember he practically gets into a crouch facing his back to the guy and practically goes Mortal Kombat-uppercut on the guy. Again, I am old, and the ol' memory wasn't the reliable to begin with, so maybe I'm just thinking of something/someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Me too on the memory loss. The only one I remembered from the article was the one on Havlat in the 2009 Western Conference Finals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 am 
OTP Historian

By the accounts I've seen, he was also heavily involved and beloved in the community, and will be staying with the org in some capacity. Holland offered to move him to a contender at the deadline and Nik wanted to stay and I had absolutely no problem with that at at all. All the best in retirement, Nik.