OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:23 am 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@DetroitRedWings
JUST ANNOUNCED: The #RedWings will hold a press conference today at 3 p.m. EST with Christopher Ilitch, Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland.

Watch live on http://DetroitRedWings.com , the Detroit Red Wings Facebook page and the Detroit Red Wings Twitter page.

According to Gord Miller, the Red Wings will introduce Steve Yzerman as their new GM this afternoon, Ken Holland to remain as Sr Vice President.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:38 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I, for one, am shocked.

Good for him, I think he'll do great for them, though I was kinda hoping Kris Draper was getting a shot at the gig.

Does this mean Kenny Holland is moving on to Seattle? I imagine if he does he'll have to leave before the end of next season to prepare for the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:
Does this mean Kenny Holland is moving on to Seattle? I imagine if he does he'll have to leave before the end of next season to prepare for the expansion draft.

So far there is news across the Canadian sports wires that say that Holland has turned down the Edmonton job and that Seattle has approached him, among other teams searching for a new GM. Holland is 65 years old. I don't know that he wants to take on an expansion franchise and all that that entails. I just finished watching the presser in Detroit and it sounds like he'd like to stay in Detroit, he really wanted Steve Yzerman to take over the GM's duties, and I don't think the Ilitch's would have replaced him, even with Yzerman, if he really wanted to keep his job in Detroit. They are loyal to a fault. So my guess is that Holland will be around in a Senior Vice Presidents role, much like Jimmy Devellano did, when Holland took over in 1997. Fun factoid. Ken Holland has passed Jack Adams as the Red Wings all-time winning GM. That really is amazing and I did not know that until Chris Ilitch mentioned it in the presser today. As to will he head out to Seattle next year, who knows. I guess we'll know when we know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am 
OTP Historian

Homecoming :D

Love Kenny and everything he did for this franchise, but he definitely had warts and he didn't start the rebuild nearly as early as required setting the franchise back years. Yzerman certainly has his mistakes in Tampa, but he's also had a lot of success.

Two things that he doesn't have in Detroit that he had in Tampa are Steve Stamkos and Victor Hedman, not to mention an ageless Martin St. Louis. Detroit's got some good pieces but nothing comparable to that.

Although it was a mess of his own making with the ridiculousness of whatever the reasons were to not take St. Louis to the olympics(he should have), he handled it as well as could have been expected. He also got ownership on board and bought out Lecavalier, which also would have been a hard decision. Maybe those decisions are easier if you didn't grow up in the organization like Holland, but I get the sense that Yzerman may be able to make some tough decisions that Kenny wouldn't or couldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am 

This isn't the first mess Yzerman's ever jumped into. I think he'll do okay.

That said I do think he tends to, excuse the overused term, get galaxy brain on some things. He overrated Chris Kunitz to a fault, both in the Olympics and in the NHL. I believe that's what finally prompted St. Louis to ask out, right? I also have no idea what he was thinking when he signed Dan Girardi to that awful contract. It didn't kill the Bolts, but it also didn't help them any.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:15 pm 
Big in Japan

One more transition year, then he's got to figure out what Athanasiou and Mantha are worth long-term.

Decks start to clear 20-21, and that doesn't include maybe figuring something out with Adbelkader, Nielsen and Helm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:27 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

So what happens with Kenny? You gotta to think he would still want to run his own show and at 63 has at least one more run in him. Seattle?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
So what happens with Kenny? You gotta to think he would still want to run his own show and at 63 has at least one more run in him. Seattle?

I asked that question, Skip had a nice response, you can scroll up for it. Hard to say with these I guess. One thing the Red Wings I believe have always been known for is taking care of their staff in terms of pay. They always maintain there's no salary cap on drafting and development and spend accordingly. Maybe Kenny just follows his predecessor Jim Devellano and slowly works his way toward retirement.

Seems logical that if Seattle wants to name a GM they should probably do so no later than the early part of the 2019-20 season to give him ample time to prepare for the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
I asked that question, Skip had a nice response, you can scroll up for it. Hard to say with these I guess. One thing the Red Wings I believe have always been known for is taking care of their staff in terms of pay. They always maintain there's no salary cap on drafting and development and spend accordingly. Maybe Kenny just follows his predecessor Jim Devellano and slowly works his way toward retirement.

Seems logical that if Seattle wants to name a GM they should probably do so no later than the early part of the 2019-20 season to give him ample time to prepare for the expansion draft.
:lol: Ahh so you did. Great minds....

Heard Holland on a radio interview for TSN Vancouver today -- and reading between the lines, he seems to still have a burning passion to compete so stepping into another role where he is running the whole show is why Seattle immediately comes to mind. And being a BC boy, plus the obvious fact of there being a President of Hockey Ops vacancy in Vancouver still available, one's brain naturally tends to wander.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:20 am 

Looks like Kenny has chosen the Oilers after all. 5 years $25M.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm 

Verbeek follows Yzerman from TB to DET as Assistant GM.

Can't help but wonder if Draper follows Holland to EDM as well as Tyler Wright, who is a former Oiler himself if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:28 pm 

Going to be interesting how long it takes Ken to clean house. Been a pretty comfy gig for a lot of incompetent people for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:51 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Going to be interesting how long it takes Ken to clean house. Been a pretty comfy gig for a lot of incompetent people for a long, long time.

If the housecleaning doesn't include Lowe/MacTavish then it may as well not be one.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

If the housecleaning doesn't include Lowe/MacTavish then it may as well not be one.

At this point its politics and optics. They obviously have or had an excellent relationship with the owner. He may want to keep them on basically collecting a cheque but doing nothing of importance. In that case we'll never know. I do think Holland is smart enough to have had assurances before taking the job that those two will no longer have control over anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:17 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
At this point its politics and optics. They obviously have or had an excellent relationship with the owner. He may want to keep them on basically collecting a cheque but doing nothing of importance. In that case we'll never know. I do think Holland is smart enough to have had assurances before taking the job that those two will no longer have control over anything.

It's obvious it has to be someone with a pretty big rep in order to rein in the Boys on the Bus, as Steve Tambellini was more or less railroaded the whole time he was there, I mean, we literally saw that played out during a scene in "Oil Change." I have confidence Kenny will have autonomy so long as he appears to be steering the ship in the right direction. The minute confidence in his wavers from the higher-ups, they'll start forcing their way back in. That's why I think the best move is not to bump Lowe upstairs...they best move is to remove him from the organization entirely.

Such an interesting hire. I think Holland has done a remarkable job cleaning up the mess in Detroit the past 2 seasons, but he's also the guy responsible for the mess in the first place.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Yzerman's first moves will be as Wings GM. I imagine he'll try and bring on at least one Tampa Bay Lightning player...not sure who though.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm also looking forward to seeing what Yzerman's first moves will be as Wings GM. I imagine he'll try and bring on at least one Tampa Bay Lightning player...not sure who though.

His first move has been to scout the U-18's in preparation for the draft. There is not much sense in signing guys from other teams this year. Detroit is cap-tied until next year and the Red Wings need to break in more of the youngsters before they go and start signing UFA's or trading for pieces. Also, right now with Kenny Holland bolting for Edmonton, which I am sure is quite the shock to Yzerman and the Red Wings, I am guessing that the scouting department will be in turmoil for a bit. Yzerman will probably be busy quieting that front before he can proceed with other matters above and beyond the draft.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 pm 

RW wrote:
His first move has been to scout the U-18's in preparation for the draft. There is not much sense in signing guys from other teams this year. Detroit is cap-tied until next year and the Red Wings need to break in more of the youngsters before they go and start signing UFA's or trading for pieces. Also, right now with Kenny Holland bolting for Edmonton, which I am sure is quite the shock to Yzerman and the Red Wings, I am guessing that the scouting department will be in turmoil for a bit. Yzerman will probably be busy quieting that front before he can proceed with other matters above and beyond the draft.

One of the first things Holland said in his presser was the trip he took with Yzerman and Draper to the U-18s was when he felt he still had a passion for being a GM. Classic Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien situation.

It shouldn't be too surprising. I remember when both Jim Rutherford and Lou Lamoriello were both "put out to pasture" so to speak by getting bumped upstairs, both were gone soon after. And I'm fairly confident in saying both of them are at least a fair bit older than Kenny. I'm somewhat surprised he did it this quickly, but I also feel he doesn't like the way he left things in Detroit, wants another challenge to prove that he's still got it. But yeah...gonna be interesting to see which guys jump ship from Detroit to Edmonton, and I wonder then if that has an effect