OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:12 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

RW wrote:
I know, Tommy. Always take the best player available. I've said it before, I'll continue to believe it. My statement above was said in the utter frustration of having watched Detroit cough up a 3 - 0 lead at home to Tampa Bay and lose the game in the 3rd period the night before.

Oh trust me, I know that frustration all too well. That particular #1 defender has eluded the Avs ever since Rob Blake left town a very long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:11 pm 
Big in Japan

One year extension for G Jimmy Howard. 4M AAV plus bonuses.

Why?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:24 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
One year extension for G Jimmy Howard. 4M AAV plus bonuses.

Why?

Who else?

Really wish that they had dealt him to SJ or Colorado and then re-signed him after the season. But he loves Detroit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:03 pm 

Counting LTIR, highest payroll in the NHL by a pretty wide margin, currently at 49 of 50 contracts, only three guys coming off the books via UFA (and one who could come off if they don't qualify him), so yeah, go ahead and reinvest in the current goalie tandem to the tune of $7 million that has your team firmly entrenched in 29th place.

How the feck does Kenny Holland still have a job!?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Counting LTIR, highest payroll in the NHL by a pretty wide margin, currently at 49 of 50 contracts, only three guys coming off the books via UFA (and one who could come off if they don't qualify him), so yeah, go ahead and reinvest in the current goalie tandem to the tune of $7 million that has your team firmly entrenched in 29th place.

How the feck does Kenny Holland still have a job!?

We've got a lot of picks in the next few drafts so firmly entrenched at the bottom isn't so bad...except the wasted prime years of some players.

They can't get Yzerman on board soon enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:52 pm 

Bosc wrote:
We've got a lot of picks in the next few drafts so firmly entrenched at the bottom isn't so bad...except the wasted prime years of some players.

Still doesn't explain why you'd pay nearly $10 million on a bad goaltending tandem if you're just gonna tank it a couple more years. You could do that with literally any other goalie out there not currently signed for far less money. I guess you can't say Kenny and the Ilitch family are pullin' a Buffalo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Still doesn't explain why you'd pay nearly $10 million on a bad goaltending tandem if you're just gonna tank it a couple more years. You could do that with literally any other goalie out there not currently signed for far less money. I guess you can't say Kenny and the Ilitch family are pullin' a Buffalo.

Yeah, you could. Or you could keep a beloved long-time Wing who loves to be here and suck nearly or as bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:43 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Yeah, you could. Or you could keep a beloved long-time Wing who loves to be here and suck nearly or as bad.

Hey, it ain't my money. They can do what they want. I can see the sentiment, but I just can't see the logic.

On that note, I hear they're trying to get Blashill re-signed...that move, however, doesn't seem like a bad one necessarily. I mean, on one hand, you could argue he hasn't been given a fair shake, and on the other, if he truly isn't a good coach, you're tankin' it anyway for the next guy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:05 am 
OTP Historian

Wings trying to avoid the tank and beat the Sharks 3-2, albeit getting heavily outshot. Taro Hirose with another assist to make it one in each game for 4 in 4 games. Very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:17 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I watched the 1st period of this game and then hit the sack. The kids looked pretty good. I mostly looked in to see Dylan McIlrath's first NHL game with Detroit. He only got a couple of shifts in the 1st period but overall looked sound. He finished with 14.52 minutes, a +1 and a penalty.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:15 pm 

McIlrath...totally forgot about that guy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:52 am 
OTP Historian

Wings finishing strong on the backs of the kids and moving down a bit in the draft lottery odds.

Larkin with his 30+ and 70 points. He had a 14 game point streak and up until a 4-game stretch a few games ago, hadn't gone 3 games without a point. Remarkable consistency and finishing strong. Fantastic to see. He'll be named captain in the offseason, I'm sure.

Athanasiou hit 30 goals.

Mantha hit 20 goals last night and is finishing strong.

Hronek played 14 straight games of 20+ minutes. Blashill just keeps putting him out there.

Little Bert is up to 44 points. Guy's a fucking gamer and smart. Puck hound and dishes it when he gets it.

Hirose...1G 5A in 7 games. What? Awesome.

Some positives to build on for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:51 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Bosc wrote:
Wings finishing strong on the backs of the kids and moving down a bit in the draft lottery odds.

Larkin with his 30+ and 70 points. He had a 14 game point streak and up until a 4-game stretch a few games ago, hadn't gone 3 games without a point. Remarkable consistency and finishing strong. Fantastic to see. He'll be named captain in the offseason, I'm sure.

Athanasiou hit 30 goals.

Mantha hit 20 goals last night and is finishing strong.

Hronek played 14 straight games of 20+ minutes. Blashill just keeps putting him out there.

Little Bert is up to 44 points. Guy's a fucking gamer and smart. Puck hound and dishes it when he gets it.

Hirose...1G 5A in 7 games. What? Awesome.

Some positives to build on for sure.

Mantha with his 1st career hat trick against the B's in a 6 - 3 win in Detroit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:04 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Beat the fucking Penguins!
Beat the fucking Penguins!

Do I write it just twice for the two games? Or 87 times for Crosby? 97 times to keep the Pens at 97 points?

Fuck it. Twice is more than enough. :viking:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:56 am 
OTP Historian

Mantha Larkin and little Bert power the Wings to a win over the Pens.

Little Bert becomes the first Wing and first player since 05-06 to record 4 straight 3-point games. Suprising that Kucherov hadn't done it this year and Yzerman(and less so Fedorov) never did it. You figure that a nearly 2-point a game pace in his 155 point season he might have done it. People mentioned how but his scoring environment wasn't really conducive to a streak like that, amazing as he was. Same with Z and Datsyuk.

Hopefully little Bert can develop into a poor-man's Marchand of sorts, with more discipline(only 32 pims this year) and without the dumb and dirty shit Marchand's done in his career.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 am 
OTP Historian

Chris's boy Jake Chelios also made his NHL debut at 28 years old. Long road but he made it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:24 am 
OTP Historian

Well, injuries force Blashill to play the kids and they go on a run. They got blown out on the last game of the season which is fine by me because Buffalo moved up to 5th-last with the win and Detroit finishes in 4th-last.

The Wings(and anyone, really) could really use a top-2 pick here, but I think I've resigned myself to the Wings never winning a lottery. Some bullshit like Edmonton, Philly, or NJ, and Colorado via Ottawa(Colorado has had lots of top-10 picks, even though this one wasn't earned by them being bad).

The Wings finished 4th but that spot is actually the least likely spot for them to be picking. Biggest odds are 5th and 6th. Wasn't there a barf smiley?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 am 
OTP Historian

Trash result to a bad season. Boourns. NJ yes, but I failed to list NYR and CHI as terrible options too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 pm 

If it wasn't for Edmonton so frequently jumping the line, I'd be touting NHL head office conspiracy. NJ, NYR, Chicago with the top 3 picks and once again Vancouver falls back.

Vancouver has basically ended up where I feared they would last November, in the 10-15 range. Not good enough for a playoff spot, not bad enough for a top 5 pick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm 
Big in Japan

As always, Detroit seems to be buoyed by good young players and handcuffed by expensive vets. Anyway to dump those Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm deals? How's DeKeyser looking in regards to his deal?

On the plus side, no big RFAs to sign. Vanek and Kronwall can come back on one-year deals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next