OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

And this old team is doing their best to make me feel old. There's a Bertuzzi son AND a Turgeon on the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
And this old team is doing their best to make me feel old. There's a Bertuzzi son AND a Turgeon on the roster.

Bertuzzi's nephew ;) I think people still refer to him as little Bert even though he's not Todd's kid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
15 shots on goal!? 15!?

I don't get it. This team should be better than this, even with their obvious deficiencies.

They play low-event hockey. And they played a Hitchcock team...so yeah. The team still isn't very good. 24th in goal differential, probably about what I was expecting from the season. Although they're in a terrible division so they probably should be a little better than that.

And hoo boy does their OT record suck. Of course, it's like impossible to find anything about it in the Standings. The schedule page fucking sucks.

Like...you have OTSO L. ROW W. Shootout record. How about showing me fucking OTW and OTL?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Nielsen done?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm 

If I were Blashill and it were OT I'd just say fuck it and roll out AA, Larkin, and Helm and hope for a breakaway. Maybe throw Mantha out there, but apart from Green, leave the whole blueline on the bench. It's just not a strength of theirs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 am 
OTP Historian

Joe Hickets makes his debut in a 3-0 shutout of jersey. Mrazek with some great saves, including a massive one on Dan Boyle.

Someone pointed out that Hicketts is the 2nd-to-last player from the 2014-2015 Canadian WJC team to make it to the NHL, G Zach Fucale being the only player not to have made it yet. This is only the 3rd full season since that tourney.
Amazingly, Hicketts made that team as an 18-year old after going undrafted and getting signed by the Wings in September of 2014. It's mostly a 19-year old tourney and Team Canada is normally filled with high draft picks. That he made that team is incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:46 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Nielsen done?

I hope not. I loved him. Wonder if going back to the Isles would help him. They could really use a 3C, and could definitely use help on the D side of the puck! Wonder if he'd waive his NMC to go back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Pounded 5-1 by the Hawks. Had a post or two early in the first, but proceeded to go down 3-0 before the 10-minute mark.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:13 pm 

What's your personal preference as to the goalie situation? I mean, on the surface the best idea is to deal the expiring contract (Mrazek) but if indeed this team is going into a rebuild then wouldn't moving the 33-year-old netminder be the wiser move?

On a side note I cannot frickin' believe Jimmy Howard is already 33.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
What's your personal preference as to the goalie situation? I mean, on the surface the best idea is to deal the expiring contract (Mrazek) but if indeed this team is going into a rebuild then wouldn't moving the 33-year-old netminder be the wiser move?

On a side note I cannot frickin' believe Jimmy Howard is already 33.

Mrazek is still RFA so they won't lose him for nothing if they don't move him. I'd rather they keep the younger guy and moving the older guy is wiser. But what do you do...get nothing for Howard, while retaining salary just to move him and have to get another backup? They don't have an in-house solution.

I dunno. Mrazek might just be fucking tired and request a trade.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:36 pm 
OTP Historian

Have a great game against the Sharks and win in the shootout 2-1. Some really nice shootout goals.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 am 
OTP Historian

What a shitshow against the Isles. Blow 2 3-goal leads to lose 7-6 in OT. Bert gets an absolute bullshit toss for a slash after Clutterbuck goes for an elbow and misses, then drops like he's shot after Bert slashes his knee. Stupid play but the ref called the reaction and not the actual slash. Isles proceed to score 4 in the 5-minute PP to go up. Green ties it on a reviewed call that stood. Isles win in OT.

Blashill sits Bert yesterday but there's no way your PK should give up 4 goals in 5 minutes. That was awful and there was plenty of blame to go around, including Blash himself, besides the penalty to Bert.

Barzal, man...

Wings beat Caps in OT 5-4 after blowing another 3-goal lead. Caps and Isles are talented for certain but 3 3-goal leads blown in 2 games is horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 am 
OTP Historian

10th loss in a row. Making their way up in the lottery chances.

It's funny that this is being called a rebuild. They've made a few trades(of guys in their mid-late 20's because they're the only movable ones) and have stockpiled some picks but they're so stuck with veteran long-term deals that I have a really hard time calling it a rebuild yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am 
OTP Historian

Wings take a 4-1 lead against Columbus then sit back, get shelled and watch it slip away.

Larkin posts his 60th point. Zetterberg with 3 primary apples to give him 53 points on the season.

Bertuz with 2 goals for 23 points in his 46 games, really good pace. Every time I see the kid he's making a controlled zone entry with the puck.

Some individual positives.

Nyquist with 21 goals on 10% shooting but off of last season's point pace. Kenny really should swing a Nyquist deal at the draft.