OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017-2018 season thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 am 
OTP Historian

Wings start the season without Athanasiou ( :chris18: :chairshot: ) with a 4-2 win over the Wild. Howard with 37 saves and Mantha dominant with 1G 2A. 4 apples for Green. Frk with G and A.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Wylde lose? I'm down with that. :Butch:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm 
OTP Historian

2-1 SO win over Ottawa, Frk with the lone regulation goal. Jimmy with another strong game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 am 
OTP Historian

4-2 over the Yotes, Glendening with the winner off a nice rush by Larkin. Skilled players on the PK, what a concept.

Green with 2 more assists to give him 8 in the first 4 games for a share of the league lead in assists and points.

Frk with his 3rd in the first 4 games.

Bought a Howard shirt on clearance the other day. 3 games in and it's looking good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:24 am 
OTP Historian

As Av said in the rebuild thread, Detroit hands the Vegas their first loss. Nyquist up on the board now, just waiting for Tatar to kick in. Helm and Sheahan not scoring yet isn't so much of a worry when you consider that having one goal through 5 games is a 16-goal pace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:54 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

We'll get to see if Detroit can handle playing a tougher schedule this week with home games against Tampa Bay and Washington and a road game in Toronto.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/10/red_wings_5_things_tougher_opp.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am 
OTP Historian

Lose 3-2 to Tampa. Had some decent chances early on a good start but was unable to capitalized and went down 2-0. Eventually tied it but lost 3-2.

Weird play happened. Abdelkader had a breakaway, was stopped but hooked a bit. Fell and went into Vas's leg. Helm followed up and buried it. Challenge play ensues goal called back due to goalie interference. Penalty shot ends up being called(wouldn't that call have been made after Helm touches, before a review on the goal is actually needed?). Abdelkader ends up scoring on the penalty shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:13 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Lose 3-2 to Tampa. Had some decent chances early on a good start but was unable to capitalized and went down 2-0. Eventually tied it but lost 3-2.

Weird play happened. Abdelkader had a breakaway, was stopped but hooked a bit. Fell and went into Vas's leg. Helm followed up and buried it. Challenge play ensues goal called back due to goalie interference. Penalty shot ends up being called(wouldn't that call have been made after Helm touches, before a review on the goal is actually needed?). Abdelkader ends up scoring on the penalty shot.

Yeah I listened to the game on the radio driving across state lines--that was bizarre, but hey, it was the right call.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am 
OTP Historian

Iyer looks at Detroit's issues with successful zone exits(and subsequent offense, or lack thereof) and how Athanasiou should help with it. Also shows that despite his age and decline, Kronwall is relatively effective in getting the Wings out of the zone. Ericsson...well, he's bad mmmkay.

https://theathletic.com/136418/2017/10/ ... efensemen/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

Oh look.

https://twitter.com/StefanKubus/status/ ... 64/photo/1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am 
OTP Historian

4-0 over the Oil. Mantha with a beauty fake shot to set up a Frk one-timer. Also picked up a goal sitting in front.

Mrazek with the doughnut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:28 pm 
OTP Historian

Some snippets from the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/147578/2017/11/ ... -edmonton/

Larkin and Glendening matched against Oil's top line:

Quote:
“Well we had a plan going in, just trying to figure out who they were going to match McDavid against and then to have certain guys out there,” Blashill said. “And Glennie was going to be part of whatever line they were going to try and match against. So, it kind of worked out in the first, he kind of went to a different match in the second, we kind of had to adjust. And then you also have 11 forwards and then you've got a lot of juggling to do.”
Well, not only did Blashill get scoring balance, but the McDavid-Maroon-Draisaitl line was held to a grand total of three shots. Three.

That's ridiculous. Larkin had TEN shots on goal.

On a change in Mrazek. Good stuff.

Quote:
“I think what I learned from last year is that if you don't play for a while, you have to work hard and keep doing what you're doing,” said Mrazek. “ If you work hard in practice, you stay in the game.”
“I thought (Mrazek) was excellent,” said Blashill. “He made some point-blank saves on Connor McDavid. We all know how good he is. Petr has put in tons of work in, both in the summer and in the moments he hasn't been playing for the last bit. He's put tons of work in, he's improved his technique, he was totally ready for this opportunity and that's great for Pete.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 am 

Little Caesars is looking almost as desolate as The Joe in the 80s.

And I'm guessing Witkowski will get 10 games, though I won't be surprised if they just sorta sweep it under the rug.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:48 pm 
OTP Historian

That's a paddlin...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

My understanding is that the place is selling out. The trouble is that everybody is out in the concourses enjoying the new place instead of planting their butts in their seats. Typical Red Wing fans. I'm going for my first game, which will be my traditional Thanksgiving Eve game on Wednesday, Nov. 22, against the Oilers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 am 

Yep, Witkowski gets 10, Tkachuk gets 1. That's actually going to hurt him financially as I'm guessing Witkowski ain't making a ton.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:47 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

My understanding is that the place is selling out. The trouble is that everybody is out in the concourses enjoying the new place instead of planting their butts in their seats. Typical Red Wing fans. I'm going for my first game, which will be my traditional Thanksgiving Eve game on Wednesday, Nov. 22, against the Oilers.

Nice, hope it's a great time, Skip!

Where are your seats? Are you still selling tickets for your buddy?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 pm 
OTP Historian

Abdelkader now has the same number of points as Zetterberg and more than Nyquist and Tatar. :shock:

It's the Larkin and Mantha(and to a lesser degree Athanasiou) show right now. Jimmy's awesome again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 am 

Daaaaaamn...now that was a hockey game.

Avs post their first comeback win of the season. Down 3-1 in the 3rd they FINALLY convert on the power play to make it 3-2, then score with the extra attacker in the closing minutes to force OT. MacKinnon seals it with a nasty snipe from the left side.

Fun game, lots and lots of speed, hitting, and deft puckwork all around, unlike last night's slogfest in Nashville.

Abdelkader with another one, a nice deflection that I felt Bernier completely overcommitted on (he was sliding too far to the right and left about 90% of the net wide open). It wasn't a horrible goal but still feel that if you're a legit NHL goalie you should have that one. In any event he made up for it with some huge saves down the stretch.

Athanasiou with, you guessed it, a breakaway goal.

Howard was on his game tonight, was tested throughout. Avs had a couple terrible defensive breakdowns but otherwise this might have been their most consistent effort from start to finish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:31 am 

Bosc wrote:
RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Nice, hope it's a great time, Skip!

Where are your seats? Are you still selling tickets for your buddy?

No, I'm not selling his tickets anymore. He joined the FBI as a Forensic Accountant and doesn't have time to deal with them anymore. Dwight and I are moving around and will be in a corner 6 rows up from the ice for this game. I'll know more when I see them.