OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 2016-2017 season thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:23 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
I don't fucking trust this org right now. They haven't learned their lessons of the past few seasons. They aren't progressing. At all.

What happened when they were forced to bring in young talent like Jurco, Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar and AA? They thrived. Larkin pushed his way onto the team and what happened? Thrived. What happens last season? Tatar and Nyquist get their icetime cut despite producing good rates.

Now? Blashill is saying that Mantha and AA aren't good enough. We have Luke Fucking Glendening signed for the next FIVE. FUCKING FIVE SEASONS. We have a more expensive, less good version of Darren Helm signed for the next 5 seasons for more money. Fucking Steve Ott. STEVE OTT.

We lose young players on waivers. We have an old, aging and rapidly declining D.


Barring injuries forcing young guys into the lineup and a brilliant season from Mrazek, this team will not make the playoffs. It's potentially going to be an ugly shitshow of a season watching Miller, Ott and Glendening running around getting owned instead of AA, Mantha and Pulkkinen.

Unless, you know, we actually put guys who can actually handle the frigging puck out there.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:29 pm 
Online
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10081
Location: 'Real City
Detroit are still operating like a veteran team. When you have star players like Lidstrom, Datsyuk and a 100% Zetterberg, you can force young players to prove they can play. When you're rebuilding, I think you can afford to take chances on certain players if you think they can learn in the pros.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:32 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
E.L. wrote:
Detroit are still operating like a veteran team. When you have star players like Lidstrom, Datsyuk and a 100% Zetterberg, you can force young players to prove they can play. When you're rebuilding, I think you can afford to take chances on certain players if you think they can learn in the pros.


Far too focused on the playoff streak and likely wanting start the new barn with a playoff appearance.

Oh hey look. They fucking waived Pulkkinen. Team can't score goals? Well, just waive away a couple of talented young goal-scorers and pick up everyone else's fucking garbage who can't score and resign a guy who can only score on open nets for 4 additional years.

Some are trying to justify this not as Ott being kept over Pulkkinen, but as AA and Mantha passing Pulk. Yeah, no. You keep the talent that you can. Ott is everyone else's garbage that can be had for free. This is piss-poor asset management.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:45 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Minny buys out Vanek.

Detroit signs him as a relative discount.

Detroit puts Pulkkinen on waivers.

Minny picks him Pulkkinen.

Who is better now and in the future?


Wings managemtn has set this franchise back a number of years in the past 11 months.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:12 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20707
Burtch went on a bit of Twitter rant and used shot rate metrics to sing Pulkkinen's praises. Dude can shoot. A LOT.

https://twitter.com/SteveBurtch/status/ ... 5837607936

Quote:
Earlier today shot rates and skating etc came up, also how that ties into the NHL is not the AHL. But I think it's worth noting a few things

People need to recognize that shot rate is actually one of the strongest indicators we have of ability in the AHL just like it is in the NHL

Shot rates in the AHL for individual skaters actually do a pretty decent job of predicting shot rates in the NHL.

What usually changes is players get far less opportunity when they first make the jump, so they APPEAR less effective...

they go from playing top line mins with top line players to playing 3rd or 4th line mins with crappier teammates.

Pulkkinen is an example of exactly this. He has averaged 11:21 in TOI per gp in his 70 NHL games so far.

In Steven Stamkos' 60 goal season he averaged over 22 minutes per game in ice time and he fired at a rate of 10.07 shots per 60 mins.

Pulkkinen has 11 goals through 70 gp, but he shoots at a rate of 10.27 shots per 60 mins of TOI.

if Pulkkinen were to have played the same amount of TOI as Stamkos that season he'd have scored 25 goals given his shooting percentage.


And there's this.

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/statu ... 0573742081


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:21 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Av-merican wrote:
Burtch went on a bit of Twitter rant and used shot rate metrics to sing Pulkkinen's praises. Dude can shoot. A LOT.

https://twitter.com/SteveBurtch/status/ ... 5837607936

Quote:
Earlier today shot rates and skating etc came up, also how that ties into the NHL is not the AHL. But I think it's worth noting a few things

People need to recognize that shot rate is actually one of the strongest indicators we have of ability in the AHL just like it is in the NHL

Shot rates in the AHL for individual skaters actually do a pretty decent job of predicting shot rates in the NHL.

What usually changes is players get far less opportunity when they first make the jump, so they APPEAR less effective...

they go from playing top line mins with top line players to playing 3rd or 4th line mins with crappier teammates.

Pulkkinen is an example of exactly this. He has averaged 11:21 in TOI per gp in his 70 NHL games so far.

In Steven Stamkos' 60 goal season he averaged over 22 minutes per game in ice time and he fired at a rate of 10.07 shots per 60 mins.

Pulkkinen has 11 goals through 70 gp, but he shoots at a rate of 10.27 shots per 60 mins of TOI.

if Pulkkinen were to have played the same amount of TOI as Stamkos that season he'd have scored 25 goals given his shooting percentage.


And there's this.

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/statu ... 0573742081


The shot thing is intuitive if you think about it. Historically, the best players aren't the guys with the best shooting %. They're the guys with the most shots. They have the puck on their stick. They get it on net. That's how you fucking score goals.

This move completely mystifies me. Blashill coached him for fucks sake. I'd love to know what the input/reaction is from the Wings stats person(people).

Looks like Mantha is headed to GR.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:45 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Wings lose to the Lightning, coughing up a 3-1 lead to lose 6-4.

Shots were about even at 5-5 but Wings were brutalized on attempts in a 60-40 split for TB. Wings gave up 2 5-5, 3 PPG and 1 EN.

Oh look.

ALEXEY.MARCHENKO -25
DANNY.DEKEYSER -24
LUKE.GLENDENING -16
DREW.MILLER -15
STEVE.OTT -14


That combo was -13 in 6 fucking minutes of 5-5 ice time together.

Gee, wonder who would have seen that coming. I'm trying to find out if and who they were matched up against but that's ugly no matter how you slice it. And predictable. So fucking predictable. 1 game, but brutal.

2 goals from Vanek, 1 from Neilson and a late one from DDK.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:02 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Blashill is apparently sitting Ott and putting Athanasiou with Nielsen and Z. Also switched up D pairings. Good.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:09 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Wings lose to Florida. Didn't see it or replays.

Up on Ottawa 4-1 right now, Mike Green with the hat trick! 1st of his career. Love watching that guy skate around with the puck.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:39 am 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20707
Well, one thing the Wings are doing more: Fighting.

I think someone tweeted they had something like five fighting majors all of last season. They've got three already this year.

Phaneuf endearing himself to the hearts of Detroit fans everywhere. Fights Ericsson and then later spears a Red Wing (was it Sheahan?) after Mike Green finished off the hat trick.

Oh yeah, Mike Green with the first hat trick of his career. Congrats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Vanek, Helm and Nyquist have found some chemistry...Larkin, Z and Tatar are struggling, albeit it's through 3 games.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:54 am 
Offline
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 1676
Av-merican wrote:
Well, one thing the Wings are doing more: Fighting.

I think someone tweeted they had something like five fighting majors all of last season. They've got three already this year.

Phaneuf endearing himself to the hearts of Detroit fans everywhere. Fights Ericsson and then later spears a Red Wing (was it Sheahan?) after Mike Green finished off the hat trick.

Oh yeah, Mike Green with the first hat trick of his career. Congrats.


They had 8 fighting majors last year and are at 4 for this year.

Yes, it was Sheahan who got speared by Phaneuf in the 3rd period while Green completed his hat trick.

_________________
Bíonn macalla ag an bheatha sa tsíoraíocht. YNWA. JFT 96


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Jimmy Howard grabs two points for the Wings. The part of the game that I watched was horrendous. Multiple breakaways and odd-man rushes against. Sloppy penalties. Giveaways in their own zone. This one was just awful, and Howard stood on his head. The only goal against was a tip.

Lunqvist was playing the puck. It resulted in the game winner.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 pm 
Offline
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 1676
Bosc wrote:
Jimmy Howard grabs two points for the Wings. The part of the game that I watched was horrendous. Multiple breakaways and odd-man rushes against. Sloppy penalties. Giveaways in their own zone. This one was just awful, and Howard stood on his head. The only goal against was a tip.

Lunqvist was playing the puck. It resulted in the game winner.


I'm afraid we are going to have to get used to this, Jeff. I know the Red Wings Achilles's heel is their defence. We either need to move one or two of our young forwards to obtain a top 4 defenseman or we're going to have to admit that rebuilding on the fly has failed and that we need to quit worrying about the playoff streak and begin a rebuild. We'll also need to move some of the older guys out to start stock piling draft picks and suffer the rebuild that may take anywhere from 3 to 10 years depending on the places we finish and the calibre of our future draft picks. his probably won't happen until the Red Wings have had a year or two in the new barn they are finishing.

I watched all of the 1st two periods but had to leave for the 3rd. Howard was unbelievable. Vaneck impressed me again as well. I'll take the win regardless of the overall quality of our play.

I'd like to see the Wings bring Mantha back up. He's tearing up the AHL.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/10/19/manthas-hat-trick-draws-praise-wings-blashill/92413282/

_________________
Bíonn macalla ag an bheatha sa tsíoraíocht. YNWA. JFT 96


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:48 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
RW wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Jimmy Howard grabs two points for the Wings. The part of the game that I watched was horrendous. Multiple breakaways and odd-man rushes against. Sloppy penalties. Giveaways in their own zone. This one was just awful, and Howard stood on his head. The only goal against was a tip.

Lunqvist was playing the puck. It resulted in the game winner.


I'm afraid we are going to have to get used to this, Jeff. I know the Red Wings Achilles's heel is their defence. We either need to move one or two of our young forwards to obtain a top 4 defenseman or we're going to have to admit that rebuilding on the fly has failed and that we need to quit worrying about the playoff streak and begin a rebuild. We'll also need to move some of the older guys out to start stock piling draft picks and suffer the rebuild that may take anywhere from 3 to 10 years depending on the places we finish and the calibre of our future draft picks. his probably won't happen until the Red Wings have had a year or two in the new barn they are finishing.

I watched all of the 1st two periods but had to leave for the 3rd. Howard was unbelievable. Vaneck impressed me again as well. I'll take the win regardless of the overall quality of our play.

I'd like to see the Wings bring Mantha back up. He's tearing up the AHL.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/10/19/manthas-hat-trick-draws-praise-wings-blashill/92413282/


Yup, I've been in full agreement with this and pretty unhappy overall with some of the contracts handed out and the direction this summer. I didn't mind the Nielsen signing, though I thought it was too many years for a guy his age. Vanek was low-risk, potential high reward, for only a single year and I didn't mind that one. Helm was way too much for too long for a player in decline. Abdelkader can be looked at the same way. The Glendening contract was just outright lunacy. Just fucking awful. Ott was a completely useless signing. Losing Frk and Pulkkinen for nothing because of keeping guys around on awful contracts was poor asset management. We knew the D wasn't going to be very good. Ericsson pretty bad now. Kronwall on a clear decline. Brendan Smith being completely and utterly misused.

Maybe the team felt that they needed to keep the streak alive for the opening of the new rink next season, but it was a poor season to do it and in my opinion, they've set the franchise back a number of years with this past offseason.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
AA scratched for Ott because who needs skill

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:16 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Wings take down what might be a food-poisoned Nashville squad in outshooting them 43-33. Nashville scored all 3 on the PP. Both Fisher and Smith had to leave the game. Abdelkader, Tatar and Nyquist with their first of hopefully many. Ott, Miller and Glendening combined for 11 shots so yeah the Perds were probably all sick. Larkin beat up Yannick Weber who decided to cross-check him after Weber had already given him a stick to the face. Wings took about 4 high sticks with I think only one called.

Neal is still a shitbag. Should have been called for a hold but Smith got it after. Cross-checked Marchenko from behind into the boards after the whistle after Jarnkrok had already taken a penalty, and the refs actually called him for it thankfully. He must have been watching Anaheim's '07 Cup run recently and figured that he wouldn't be called for anything.

There is no way that Smith shouldn't be in the lineup every day. He is one of the few defensemen on the team who can actually grab the puck in the D zone and effectively do something with it.

Wings 3-2 on the season now. Mike Green with 7 points in 5 games.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:54 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20707
What's wrong with Dylan Larkin?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:35 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Av-merican wrote:
What's wrong with Dylan Larkin?


Apparently he had a few glorious chances last night against Martin Jones but the puck didn't go in for him. Averaging close to 3 shots a game so might have some bad luck over 6 games.

Jimmy shuts out the Sharks 3-0 to make the Wings 4-2 on the season. Sproul with his 2nd point in 2 games. Nyquist with 2, both shots from the slot. Good to see. AA with his first on a big time slap shot on the rush. Beautiful long pass from Vanek, who now has 3-4-7 in the first 6 games. He's been really good.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:20 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9524
Av-merican wrote:
What's wrong with Dylan Larkin?


There we go. 2 tonight. One a breakaway from a beautiful long backhand feed from Z. The other one a make-up for earlier bad luck, a bank in off of Carolina's D.

3-0 Wings.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group