(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Datsyuk to the KHL?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:16 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/r ... /82611354/

Quote:
"I have one more year contract and we have three games left this year," Datsyuk said today. "This is more focus for me now.

"I'm not looking at next year."

Post subject: Re: Datsyuk to the KHL?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:20 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/04/04/detroit-red-wings-pavel-datsyuk/82611354/

Quote:
"I have one more year contract and we have three games left this year," Datsyuk said today. "This is more focus for me now.

"I'm not looking at next year."

Three more games this year? He's not exactly hopeful about the playoffs, is he? Yeesh. Unless that's a mis-quote or translation issue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:33 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The rumour started with Elliotte Friedman using an unnamed source, instead of a properly sourced article so I'd take it with a big grain of salt for now. That said playing for Detroit this year can't be a joyous ride. The big difficulty, as I understand it, would be that Detroit can't write off his $7.5 million cap hit even if he fucks off to Russia. He'd really be fucking the Red Wings if he does bail. I, personally, don't think he'd do that to the Red Wings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:09 pm 

RW wrote:
The rumour started with Elliotte Friedman using an unnamed source, instead of a properly sourced article so I'd take it with a big grain of salt for now. That said playing for Detroit this year can't be a joyous ride. The big difficulty, as I understand it, would be that Detroit can't write off his $7.5 million cap hit even if he fucks off to Russia. He'd really be fucking the Red Wings if he does bail. I, personally, don't think he'd do that to the Red Wings.

Didn't realize it was from an unnamed source. Friedman guilty of Eklund-esque click bait? Shame on him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:59 pm 
OTP Historian

Yeah, it seems weird coming from Friedman. He doesn't throw stuff out lightly, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Sounds like he's gone after the playoffs.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colum ... /82835594/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:51 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Sounds like he's gone after the playoffs.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colum ... /82835594/

Great timing to release that info. WTF?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:18 am 
OTP Historian

:x :x :( :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:56 am 

Now he is saying that he is done with the NHL after this season's playoffs. He also says it is so he can spend more time with his daughter in Russia. He also says that he wanted to sign 1-year deals after each season but that he signed the last 3-year deal because the Illitch's wanted him too. He also states that he has been completely unaware that leaving the team early would cause such a cap space headache for the Red Wings. Apparently there is some hope that the Red Wings might be able to trade his salary to a team that is trying to meet the cap space floor although the Red Wings apparently won't do that as of now.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/mitch-albom/2016/04/10/albom-wings-datsyuk-column/82835594/

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/04/10/detroit-red-wings-pavel-datsyuk-contract/82867770/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 am 

How could he not know how it would impact the team??? Are players really that out of touch, that they can't see what the average fan knows?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Sounds like ownership effed up here big-time. Should've listened and given him the one-year deals. Sakic ended his career on a series of one-year deals precisely so he would not encounter a situation like this and be under pressure to return.

We're at a point in the cap era when no teams are really in that phase where they're rebuilding with a cheap squad and need dead contracts to reach the cap floor. And those teams who were doing that have already snagged those dead contracts (Savard, Pronger, etc.).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m1 minute ago
Pavel Datsyuk makes it official, announces he's leaving Detroit Red Wings, returning to native Russia.

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/statu ... 52/photo/1

That stinks for NHL fans. Still had a good year or two left in him. Still a magician.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:54 pm 

So long, Pavel. Thanks for all the wonderful memories over the past 14 years.

Pavel Datsyuk leaving is just another sign that the Detroit Red Wings 30 year run of success is coming to an end. It doesn't look like the rebuild on the fly paradigm is going to work out the way management would have liked it. It looks like it is time to suck for a while to rebuild the talent pool. You just can't win consistently with a draft position above 16, and usually the 2nd round or above, for decades. Unless Hakan Andersson has found a new supply of NHL ready superstars playing secretly in Mongolia the Red Wings will need to start rebuilding the old fashioned way. Suck, have good scouting and be patient and develop the young talent you do receive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:44 pm 

RW wrote:
So long, Pavel. Thanks for all the wonderful memories over the past 14 years.

Pavel Datsyuk leaving is just another sign that the Detroit Red Wings 30 year run of success is coming to an end. It doesn't look like the rebuild on the fly paradigm is going to work out the way management would have liked it. It looks like it is time to suck for a while to rebuild the talent pool. You just can't win consistently with a draft position above 16, and usually the 2nd round or above, for decades. Unless Hakan Andersson has found a new supply of NHL ready superstars playing secretly in Mongolia the Red Wings will need to start rebuilding the old fashioned way. Suck, have good scouting and be patient and develop the young talent you do receive.

I wish I could make you GM of the Nuck's, the team would have a brighter long term future immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:28 am 
OTP Historian

Dammit :x :x :cry: Thanks for making hockey so fucking much fun to watch, Pavel. Just an absolute joy to watch on the ice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Oh my god we are going to be so fucking bad at the shootout :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:32 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I just heard a report on TSN 1040 that shortly after Datsyuk signed his deal with the Wings, he got buyers remorse and expressed to Holland he was unhappy in Detroit way back in the first year of his deal.

Surprising if true. Can that story be corroborated by anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:25 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
I just heard a report on TSN 1040 that shortly after Datsyuk signed his deal with the Wings, he got buyers remorse and expressed to Holland he was unhappy in Detroit way back in the first year of his deal.

Surprising if true. Can that story be corroborated by anyone?

Yes, I can attest that your story is true. I understand that part of the problem involved him changing his agent. I still have a difficult time with his contention that he did not fully understand the complete ramifications of his new contract. I believe he originally wanted the deal to be a series of one year contracts with both parties needing to agree to renew. It's a moot point now. He's gone back to Russia and the Red Wings have moved the last year of his contract to Arizona. Now it's just water under the bridge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Pavel Datsyuk is holed up in a monastery with a renegade cult leader and armed Cossacks.

https://www.rt.com/sport/492126-nhl-pav ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:14 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I was hoping these guys were, like, real cossacks with horses and swords and all that shit. Turns out they're just like the dumbass hicks we have here, bigoted thugs who dress like idiots and incite violence.

Not very surprised about Datsyuk to be honest. Always had a feeling he was kinda batshit crazy. Great player though.