OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 am 
OTP Historian

After Elliotte(sp?) Friedman's report last week that Zetterberg had turned down a 10 year, $75 mil contract, Helene St. James is reporting that the Wings are close.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090119/S ... -term+deal

Quote:
TEMPE, Ariz. -- When Henrik Zetterberg scored in his last game, it was only his 17th goal of the season.

It's no secret that Zetterberg, 28, hasn't had a great first half, but if his contract has weighed on his mind, that weight might soon be lifted. He and the Red Wings are closing in on a deal designed to ensure that the likely future captain remains in Detroit for a long time.

"We've made progress in the last two weeks," general manager Ken Holland said Sunday. "There's still a little work to be done, but I'm optimistic."

The deal, possibly for as long as 10 years, will be creative, designed to keep the salary-cap hit around $7 million a season. Like every team, the Wings are wary of how the current economic climate will affect the salary cap.

"Not knowing where the cap might be is a factor in my thinking," Holland said. "It might shrink."

The Wings want to get the contract wrapped up by the March 4 trade deadline; if not, focus will shift to getting Marian Hossa and Johan Franzen re-signed.

"I'd like to have somebody signed by the deadline," Holland said. "We'll continue on here with Henrik and hope we can find a solution. If not, I'll turn my sights to other guys. But Henrik is the priority -- we drafted him, developed him, he's an assistant, and has the potential to be the captain."

Zetterberg hadn't scored in four games before Saturday's 6-5 loss to the Sharks.

"They haven't been coming as regularly, so it was nice to see the puck go in," he said.

This is the first time in his career Zetterberg hasn't had Pavel Datsyuk as his regular linemate, but Zetterberg has looked better since gaining Marian Hossa on the right wing last month. And even if Zetterberg's numbers haven't been great in the offensive zone, he has been superb in his own zone, playing against top opposing forwards.

Saturday, he helped kill the entire 1:29 the Sharks had a 5-on-3 advantage.

"He hasn't scored like he likes to," coach Mike Babcock said. "He's always a good player, you're just used to him being a great player."