OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:50 am 
OTP Historian

Things are off to a good start with an excellent showing in a loss to NJ, a win against Tampa, shutout of the Jackets, and a win against Pitts last night. DeBrincat has been money playing with Larkin and Lucas Raymond and some of the other offseason acquisitions have been good as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

DeBrincat the current Art Ross leader.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:58 am 
OTP Historian

Wow is this team ever rolling. The Raymond-Larkin-deBrincat steamrolled the Flames and the PP is on fire. They are deadly off the rush.

I was talking to an Ottawa fan who said that when deBrincat is on he can own games but when he's not feeling it, he's out. I thought maybe playing with a guy like Larkin who's motor just absolutely never stops would benefit him. It's early, but they are en fuego.

The Ghost Bear has 6 points too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Lost 3 in a row now after the 5-1 start. 5-3-1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:58 am 

Word is Kane is set to sign with Red Wings. I'm quite frankly surprised about this, would have thought he'd be looking at a shot at another cup. And from the Red Wings perspective, if you believe there is positive value in "veteran presence" is Kane really a positive?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:43 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Word is Kane is set to sign with Red Wings. I'm quite frankly surprised about this, would have thought he'd be looking at a shot at another cup. And from the Red Wings perspective, if you believe there is positive value in "veteran presence" is Kane really a positive?

Capfriendly shows it as a 1 year deal, $2.75M with a NTC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:06 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Fogghorn wrote:

Surprised me too. I thought they were still in the, "We're not signing any overage stars, because we are rebuilding through the draft."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:17 pm 

Well, from a hockey standpoint I suppose this is a low-risk/high-reward move. Worst case scenario, he sucks and they don't retain him.

As for Kane, I suppose he has the luxury of signing anywhere he wants without the urgent need to get another Cup or maximize his earnings. The Wings are in pretty good shape though, wouldn't call them contenders but it's very likely they make it into the playoffs.

Hate that this absolute cretin of a person is still so adored around the league, but what can ya do.

Yzerman has been far more aggressive trying to improve the Wings than he was when he was running the Bolts. More than likely because I don't think he has as good a prospect base as he might have had in Tampa.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:31 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yzerman has been far more aggressive trying to improve the Wings than he was when he was running the Bolts. More than likely because I don't think he has as good a prospect base as he might have had in Tampa.

Detroit has been quite unlucky in the draft lottery. Tampa Bay got a number 1 pick in Stamkos. Detroit’s best position was number 4. You still get a good player but you miss out on the Generational Talent that usually goes at 1.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:29 pm 

RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Detroit has been quite unlucky in the draft lottery. Tampa Bay got a number 1 pick in Stamkos. Detroit’s best position was number 4. You still get a good player but you miss out on the Generational Talent that usually goes at 1.

Or you draft Filip Zadina before Quinn Hughes.................thank you...........thank you..............thank you

................sorry about the trolling, I just couldn't restrain myself. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:52 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Or you draft Filip Zadina before Quinn Hughes.................thank you...........thank you..............thank you

In fairness to Yzerman, Ken Holland was the GM when the Wings drafted Zadina.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:46 pm 

RW wrote:

Ahhhhhh you're right, Stevie Y took over in 2019 and pretty much nailed it in that draft.

Speaking of Holland, who sure looks like he's pretty much just a figurehead/bean counter in Edmonton now, I didn't realize until recently the Oilers fired his right-hand man in Tyler Wright and replaced him with former Avs draft guru Rick Pracey (which is a questionable decision to say the least). I'm guessing with Draper running the draft show they probably don't want Wright back, just an interesting side note.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:35 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
RW wrote:

Ahhhhhh you're right, Stevie Y took over in 2019 and pretty much nailed it in that draft.

Speaking of Holland, who sure looks like he's pretty much just a figurehead/bean counter in Edmonton now, I didn't realize until recently the Oilers fired his right-hand man in Tyler Wright and replaced him with former Avs draft guru Rick Pracey (which is a questionable decision, to say the least). I'm guessing with Draper running the draft show they probably don't want Wright back, just an interesting side note.

I always wondered how he would do in Edmonton. I don't mean that in an unflattering way either. Holland took over the GM job in Detroit in 1997. You could argue that Jimmy Devallano built the 1997 & 1998 teams. Holland did a lot in helping to build the 2002 team although it still had a lot of Devellano's picks. Holland can take a lot of credit for the 2008 and 2009 teams. Mike Illitch wanting to keep the playoff streak going handcuffed Holland in the post-2010 onward era and postponed the inevitable rebuild. His draft board post-playoff streak was spotty at best, i.e. taking Zadina over Hughes. I don't know why he had a difficult time. He always seemed like one of the top GMs in the NHL. I don't follow Edmonton, so I don't know the internal politics. Holland is getting up there in age and that could be the reason he's shifting away from the heavy lifting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:32 pm 
OTP Historian

Holland basically had an unlimited budget to paper over a lot of mistakes. Cough Hasek-Joseph-Legace cough. He made some shrewd moves and did make some decent picks outside of the first round. He also had some horrendous luck with Jiri Fischer and Igor Grigorenko.

Simply having Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg should bring you a ton of success.

He did himself no favours with drafting McCollum over Markstrom, though at the time I despised Markstrom's diving world junior antics.

Some picks that looked like winners(Jurco, Sheahan) fizzled, unfortunately. And a bunch all at the same time.

I cannot fault him for the Zadina pick over Hughes. It was viewed as a home run pick that Zadina fell to them at #6.

Skip already mentioned the horrible draft lottery luck.

He set the franchise back 5 years with that one year of moves(abdelkader and ericsson, Nielson, etc) by trying to extend the playoff streak when they hadn't made it out of the first round in 3 years and gotten swept two of those years, I believe. He needed to rebuild and whether that's the Illitches and Jimmy D's influence, the moves were ultimately his.

What I felt he showed over the last few years of his tenure what that he was not built to GM in the new NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:46 pm 

Wings are gonna be in really tough now--both Compher AND Larkin out with injuries. And Perron likely getting a decent-sized suspension.

Much as Perron deserves to be suspended for what he did--and even if he had gone after the right guy I still think you have to suspend a move like that--the Mathieu Joseph hit on Larkin is completely unacceptable. You can't just cross check or punch a guy right in the face during a goalmouth scrum.

I'm guessing Copp moves back to the pivot, not sure how the rest of the lineup shakes out. Aston-Reese, Berggren, and Czarnik get emergency callups. Apparently Berggren was VERY close to being moved, as he was a healthy scratch in a recent Griffins game. Still may yet be moved later but for now, Wings can't afford to deal him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:30 pm 

Winless since 88 took to the ice. Some of that is coincidental with their top two centers going down around the same time, but interesting nonetheless.

Reimer was absolute dogshit against Dallas last night. I have zero beef with the Wings these days, but that guy can go get fucked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Wings are gonna be in really tough now--both Compher AND Larkin out with injuries. And Perron likely getting a decent-sized suspension.

Much as Perron deserves to be suspended for what he did--and even if he had gone after the right guy I still think you have to suspend a move like that--the Mathieu Joseph hit on Larkin is completely unacceptable. You can't just cross check or punch a guy right in the face during a goalmouth scrum.

That whole situation was so fucked up. #21 (Joseph?) calling the trainer over seemed really nice/respectful of him, until I rewatched and noticed he's the one who threw the initial crosscheck to the head/neck area from behind.

I saw Perron's agent flipped his lid over Perron getting a hearing but not Joseph. Damn right.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:09 am 

RW wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I went back to the 2018 draft. It was an interesting read, hard to believe that there was a time not too long ago where we could generate 6 pages talking draft. Anyways this was are thoughts then........I too was hoping Zedina would fall to Vancouver.

RW wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
RW wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Zedina great pick by DET. He's going to own it. Some swagger to him!

I was scared shitless that Detroit's brain trust was still going to pick a smallish defenseman while waiting for them to pick Zadina.

And I was absolutely hoping Detroit would fill their need and grab a dman and leave Zedina for the Nucks. Especially since Hughes skillset of exceptional skating and great stick work even if a bit small seemed like Detroit would be all over him.

Having said that, I'm bloody happy with Hughes and his potential.

I think Hughes will be a great pickup for Vancouver. We just couldn't turn down Zadina when he fell to us at 6. I was hoping more for a big, right-handed, d-man like Evan Bouchard from London if we were going to draft defense.

and the 2018 draft thread. We were all pretty down on Arizona picking Barrett Hayton at #5, seems we got that one right, not that he's bad, just maybe not quite good enough for #5.

https://offthepost.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8024

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:26 pm 
OTP Historian

The league has always seemed to be perfectly fine with Larkin taking clearly dirty hits to the head, and then calling and suspending the retaliatory ones. It's fucking brutal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:03 pm 

Someone on HF cited what Yzerman is trying to do and other teams will emulate it if it works.

Usually you tank it, build the core through the draft and trades, then supplement it with free agency and other means. But Stevie Y is trying something a little different--the core isn't quite there yet so he's busy building the support staff through (mostly) free agency. And obviously he's taking a flier on Patrick Kane because pfffft, why not.

Will it work? I don't know, I admire that he's not just trying to recreate the Bolts--or the Wings he played for, for that matter--in building this roster. He's taking a pretty bold approach, it may or may not work but I don't think it'll kill his team cap-wise so far.