OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Red Wings Prospects
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:25 am 
OTP Historian

Opening up with this thread about a guy who had some promise, came over to play in Grand Rapids but left after 12 games for what was, I think, personal reasons. The Wings want him to re-join the Griffins after a successful season last year in Sweden's 1st division.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06 ... _want.html

Quote:
He has a year left on his contract with us. Because of that, we want him to play for our farm club (Grand Rapids Griffin) this autumn," said Detroit's scout Håkan Andersson.

Why?

"We want to be able to study him a little more closely and see if he's progressed in the right way/direction. We think he can be a very fine [player], but he has had some injury problems."

What he has properties that are attractive?

"Size, hands and hockey sense. He is a creative player with a potential that we think is very big."

All Detroit-players gather in early September to begin training camp for the upcoming season. So will Johan Ryno.

A couple of sightings on his AIK team last season:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/ ... 22009.html

Two former Wings picks, Christofer Lofberg(rd 3, #80, 2005) and David Engblom(rd 9, #234, 1995) and Dick "The best defenseman I've(Mario Lemieux) had for reading my game since Paul Coffey" Tarnstrom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:55 am 
OTP Historian

A blurb on the short-term outlook for the Wings' signing of CCHA star goaltender Jordan Pearce:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06 ... _a_ba.html

Quote:
As for Pearce, Jim Nill bluntly stated his status when the Wings drafted him--he wants to see if he can make the NHL over the next two years, and if he doesn't do that, he boasted a 3.83 grades-against average as an undergraduate, and he'll head to medical school.

Wow, he wants to see if he can make the NHL in two years and signed with the Wings to see if he can? As far as I know, Larsson and McCollum are slated to be the two goalies in Grand Rapids. Pearce is going to be in tough. I'm not sure why he didn't go with a team with more job openings...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:08 am 
OTP Historian

Some camp observations from Grand Rapids coach Kurt Fraser, who ran the prospects camp, and from George James Malik:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/07 ... r_end.html

Quote:
Defenseman Brian Lashoff and forward Brent Raedeke made their AHL debuts last season with Grand Rapids on amateur tryouts after their OHL seasons ended. Goaltender Thomas McCollum, who also played in the OHL last season, will likely back up Daniel Larsson in Grand Rapids next season.
"Lashoff, Raedeke and maybe McCollum have stood out," said Griffins coach Curt Fraser, who ran the development camp at Joe Louis Arena last week.

Lashoff had one goal and four assists in six regular-season games and one goal and four assists in eight playoff games for the Griffins. He (6-feet-2, 185 pounds) turns 19 on Thursday.

Raedeke (6-0, 190), also undrafted, played in two regular-season games last season for the Griffins after 19 goals and 36 assists in 70 games for the Edmonton Oil Kings of the Western Hockey League. Raedeke turned 19 in May.

McCollum, the Wings' first-round pick in 2008, was 17-6-0 with a 1.94 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage for the Brampton Battalion after being traded from the Guelph Storm, where he was 17-10-4 with a 2.23 GAA and .926 save percentage.

From Malik:
Quote:
Lashoff looked like a man among boys in terms of his physical strength and his ability to move (and rush) the puck. He's big, strong, hits people hard, knows how to steer opposing forwards wide and separate them from the puck, moves the puck with the confidence that the Wings want from a puck-moving defenseman, has a nice outlet pass, can carry the puck up ice himself with surprising speed and a bunch of playmaking savvy, and he's got a hard shot, too;

McCollum still has some holes in his game, particularly in terms of players being able to pick the corners, but he's one of those rare goaltenders who combines size, perfect proportions (he is neither all torso nor all arms and legs), and a fundamental understanding of the game to the point that he's at his best when he does very little--the puck hits him and he holds it, moves it to the right part of the ice, or, if he gives up a bad rebound, he throws the hybrid goaltender's rules out and plays like a big man's Hasek or Turco, never giving up on pucks as he dives back or throws out a body part;

Raedeke was hard to read because he simply blended into all the drills, doing everything well but not standing out in any aspect. That changed when the team's brass returned to the stands on Sunday, and he absolutely starred in the team's scrimmage, showcasing speed, smart passing, a stellar ability to go to the front of the net and score clutch goals by banging the puck home or picking corners, and a nice combination of physical grit and the ability to basically do what Lashoff did--control the play when the puck was on his stick, telling players where to go to provide outlets and sustain possession and control on the cycle...And, despite revealing his plans to his opponents, he made those plays happen with authority and confidence.

It's early but it looks like the Raedeke and Lashoff signings were good ones :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I'm starting to get excited about hockey again. That 7 game loss in the SCF took a lot of the starch out of me. This loss hurt a lot worse than 1995.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Oulahen and McGrath re-signed.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/07 ... ed_fr.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:21 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
I'm starting to get excited about hockey again. That 7 game loss in the SCF took a lot of the starch out of me. This loss hurt a lot worse than 1995.

How come this one hurt more, Skip? I would have thought that '95 would have hurt more. Long-suffering with so many bad years, then early exits only to get so close and then get blown out in four straight in the Finals...After 4 Cups in 12 years this loss still hurt more?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:23 pm 
OTP Historian

After turning heads in camp, the Wings have signed their 2nd round pick from this year's draft, Tomas Tatar. Tatar signed and will start the year in Grand Rapids.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/09 ... tomas.html

Quote:
Why a three-year deal? Simple. When the Wings signed Tatar, they did so to gain control of his playing future. His Slovak club, HKm Zvolen, signed Tatar to a three-year contract this past August, and it contained a provision which would only allow Tatar to leave for North America if he played for the Red Wings or Grand Rapids Griffins. To allow Tatar to potentially play for the Plymouth Whalers for up to three seasons, they had to match Zvolen's term.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:07 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
RW wrote:

How come this one hurt more, Skip? I would have thought that '95 would have hurt more. Long-suffering with so many bad years, then early exits only to get so close and then get blown out in four straight in the Finals...After 4 Cups in 12 years this loss still hurt more?

In 1995 the butt kicking Detroit received was complete. there was no question who the better team was. New Jersey was. You also knew, as a Red Wings fan, that there would be many more chances with such a talented young team. There was still lots of hope. Much like Pittsburgh fans feel right now. I can't see too many more cup runs with the so called veterans of this Red Wings team. This feels more like the ending of the dynasty. We had a real chance to win a 5th Stanley Cup in 12 years this past summer. We actually led the Finals after game 5 in a real rout in game 5. Everything pointed to a back to back Championship. We had the pieces in place. Even if we lost game 6 ahh... no big deal. We finish it back at home in game 7. Party in Detroit. Trouble was, the Red Wings were done. The tank was empty. It's the end of that era. Not saying the reload can't be fun and with a good orginazation running this team they'll be back and pretty soon, but with the new Cap Era you woun't have teams built from scratch staying together for long stretches and winning lots of Cups any more. I know how Montreal, Islander and Oiler fans felt near the end of their dynasties.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:26 am 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
RW wrote:

In 1995 the butt kicking Detroit received was complete. there was no question who the better team was. New Jersey was. You also knew, as a Red Wings fan, that there would be many more chances with such a talented young team. There was still lots of hope. Much like Pittsburgh fans feel right now. I can't see too many more cup runs with the so called veterans of this Red Wings team. This feels more like the ending of the dynasty. We had a real chance to win a 5th Stanley Cup in 12 years this past summer. We actually led the Finals after game 5 in a real rout in game 5. Everything pointed to a back to back Championship. We had the pieces in place. Even if we lost game 6 ahh... no big deal. We finish it back at home in game 7. Party in Detroit. Trouble was, the Red Wings were done. The tank was empty. It's the end of that era. Not saying the reload can't be fun and with a good orginazation running this team they'll be back and pretty soon, but with the new Cap Era you woun't have teams built from scratch staying together for long stretches and winning lots of Cups any more. I know how Montreal, Islander and Oiler fans felt near the end of their dynasties.

Duly noted :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:27 am 
OTP Historian

The Wings sign Landon Ferraro's Red Deer Rebels teammate Willie Coetzee to a three-year entry deal.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2009 ... signs.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 am 
OTP Historian

Ryno back to Sweden...

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2009 ... weden.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:01 pm 
OTP Historian

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
The Wings sign Landon Ferraro's Red Deer Rebels teammate Willie Coetzee to a three-year entry deal.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2009 ... signs.html

...and Coetzee is tearing it up in the W so far...

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stories/ ... Report.php

Quote:
Gleason Fournier found a great way to make up for lost time.

The Rimouski Oceanic defenseman was named the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's defensive player of the week after recording three goals and five assists in his first five games of the season. It’s a great start for a player who sat out most of training camp and the first nine games with a shoulder injury.

In fact, the 6-foot, 168-pounder has delayed surgery until next summer to repair his injured shoulder, making his start even more impressive.

Fournier, who just turned 18, had three goals and 25 assists in 66 games last season but was more of a depth player with the Memorial Cup hosts. These days, he’s getting top-pairing minutes and should blow past those totals.

It’s an encouraging sign for the Red Wings that Fournier is producing points early on. They drafted the slender, swift-skating blueliner 90th overall in June because of his end-to-end rushing ability and offensive upside.

NOTES: Defenseman Nick Jensen (Green Bay, United States Hockey League) will represent the U.S. at the world junior A challenge next month in Summerside, P.E.I. … Forward Willie Coetzee (Red Deer, Western Hockey League) continues to shine and is just a point off the WHL scoring lead … Forward Gustav Nyquist (Maine, Hockey East) is flying, with four goals and two assists in four games … Forward Tomas Tatar (Grand Rapids, American Hockey League) had an assist in his pro debut. At 18, he is the youngest player in the AHL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:16 am 
OTP Historian

A little behind on these(not that anyone cares but me and maybe Skip because he used to post these :P )

The Wings prospect with the coolest name is doing very well in his sophomore season:

Quote:
If there's a Swedish phrase for "sophomore slump," Detroit Red Wings prospect Gustav Nyquist doesn't appear to know it yet.

The 20-year-old left-winger is in the process of following up a tremendous NCAA rookie campaign with an even better encore. Although it's still early, Nyquist is tied for the nation's lead in scoring with four goals and six assists for 10 points through six games with the Maine Black Bears.

"I'm a little faster this year because I've improved my leg strength. And my shot is better. I've worked on that a lot, too," Nyquist told the Bangor Daily News. "I didn't shoot enough last year. I want to improve on that."

Nyquist also said he has "more muscle weight" and wants to "push (defenders) away with one hand and keep the other hand on my stick."

Drafted out of Sweden in the fourth round (121st overall) in 2008, Nyquist has emerged as an outstanding prospect since coming to North America. The 5-foot-11, 175-pounder finished with 13 goals and 19 assists for a team-best 32 points in 38 games last season, cracking Hockey East's all-rookie team.

The Red Wings consider him a potential top-six forward, but believe he has the defensive acumen to get the job done as a checker, too.

At the rate things are going, Nyquist appears destined to leave college after his junior year, similar to Jimmy Howard and Justin Abdelkader.

NOTES: Brendan Smith (Wisconsin) and Bryan Rufenach (Clarkson) are other college players off to good starts. Both have five points so far, with Smith appearing in three contests and Rufenach in five ... Forward Jamie Tardif (Grand Rapids, AHL) has jumped out to the Griffins scoring lead with four goals and two assists in eight games. He's also wearing the captain's C ... Forward Andrej Nestrasil (Victoriaville, QMJHL) is in the Q's top 20 scorers with 18 points in 14 games ... Here's a flash from the past: defenceman David Petrasek, selected 226th by the Red Wings in the Pavel Datsyuk draft of 1998, is second in Swedish Elite League scoring with an incredible 20 points in 13 games with HV-71. He is 33.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:18 am 
OTP Historian

Nestrasil ahead of the curve:

Quote:
It's impressive enough that Andrej Nestrasil finds himself 10th in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League scoring early this season.

But when you add to that the fact that he's the only 18-year-old in the league's top 15 scorers — the rest are 19- and 20-year-olds — it becomes clear that the Prague, Czech Republic, native is well ahead of the development curve.

Nestrasil, drafted in the third round (75th overall) by the Red Wings in June, is certainly living up to his billing as a first-round calibre prospect. That's where the Red Wings' scouting staff ranked him on its draft board.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound right-winger co-leads the Victoriaville Tigres in scoring along with countryman Tomas Kubalik, producing nine goals and 15 assists for 24 points in 18 games. The Tigres, meanwhile, have been a mild surprise early on, with a 12-7-0-1 record, seventh in the 18-team QMJHL.

Nestrasil projects as a top-six NHL forward, with a unique blend of size, skill and a willingness to get the job done in the dirty areas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:19 am 
OTP Historian

Emmerton improving:

Quote:
The Detroit Red Wings have always been big believers in Cory Emmerton, and he’s showing flashes of why that faith is warranted.

The 21-year-old center, in his second American Hockey League season, posted back-to-back two-goal games for the Grand Rapids Griffins last week and has four goals and three assists in his past four outings. It’s a welcome breakthrough after he produced just one assist in his first seven games.

He also has a team-best plus-9 rating, fourth in the AHL.

This is a big season for the 6-foot, 190-pounder as he works toward a roster spot with the Red Wings in 2011-12. He had a solid rookie season in 2008-09 with 10 goals and 25 assists for 35 points in 69 games. He put up 31 points of those points in his first 49 games, so he’ll need more staying power.

A “Red Wings type of player the way he thinks the game” according to assistant general manager Jim Nill, Emmerton would be expected to work his way onto the Red Wings’ roster in a manner similar to Valtteri Filppula.

Drafted in the second round (41st overall) of the 2006 draft, he was a prolific point-producer in the Ontario Hockey League who plays responsibly in his own zone. Likened to veteran NHLer Cory Stillman, Emmerton is a dangerous playmaker who can also handle time on both special teams.

NOTES: Defensemen Nick Jensen (United States) and Adam Almqvist (Sweden) played at the world junior A hockey challenge last week in Summerside, P.E.I. Jensen had a goal and two assists in five games as the U.S. won gold. Almqvist had two goals in four games as Sweden went winless ... Top 2009 draftee Landon Ferraro (Red Deer, Western Hockey League) has one point in four games since returning from a knee injury and three points in nine outings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
A little behind on these(not that anyone cares but me and maybe Skip because he used to post these :P )

I still haven't completely gotten over last season's Stanley Cup Finals and 22 years of season tickets. I don't watch regularly yet. I'm sure it will come back at some point but I am really suffering a bad case of hockey burnout right now. You'll have to pick up the slack for a bit Jeff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:38 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

I still haven't completely gotten over last season's Stanley Cup Finals and 22 years of season tickets. I don't watch regularly yet. I'm sure it will come back at some point but I am really suffering a bad case of hockey burnout right now. You'll have to pick up the slack for a bit Jeff.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch very much this year. Kind of like last season. And I think I might have watched one win so far this year :x

I hope all is well with you and the family, Skip.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:14 pm 

Thanks Jeff. We're fine really. Work is going pretty well. I Just got back from Arizona for a boy's weekend holiday, drank like a fish, etc. Naw, my heart's just not quite into hockey yet. I'm indulging my musical side by buying lots of vintage vinyl and purchasing a guitar and learning how to play it. The majority of my sports attention right now is given to Liverpool FC. Hockey is slowly coming back, I really enjoyed watching the Habs / B's game last night. No real worries. I still stop in here the first of every morning to keep up on the goings on. Hope all is well with you as well. Married yet? Do say hi to for dad for me. We need to go to another Wings game. Tickets are easy to come by right now and great seats are available. Think about it anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:57 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
Thanks Jeff. We're fine really. Work is going pretty well. I Just got back from Arizona for a boy's weekend holiday, drank like a fish, etc. Naw, my heart's just not quite into hockey yet. I'm indulging my musical side by buying lots of vintage vinyl and purchasing a guitar and learning how to play it. The majority of my sports attention right now is given to Liverpool FC. Hockey is slowly coming back, I really enjoyed watching the Habs / B's game last night. No real worries. I still stop in here the first of every morning to keep up on the goings on. Hope all is well with you as well. Married yet? Do say hi to for dad for me. We need to go to another Wings game. Tickets are easy to come by right now and great seats are available. Think about it anyway.

Is that the weekend you do every year where you get together with your College buddies? Sounds like a blast :D

I was buying vinyl a few years ago, but the whole "Got a girlfriend, mortgage, then fiance and now gotta save money" thing has cut into those kinds of purchases :P I got a bunch of great stuff from my Dad when I took his record player, got a new belt for it, and then brough it to uni with me. Then my uncle gave me his which has a really good needle on it, according to my Dad. I eventually started adding more to the collection, but that's stopped for now. You collect Beatles stuff, don't you? I've got Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, and Magical Mystery Tour, but I don't know anything about the editions...

Nope, not married yet. July 17 of next year. Plans are coming along :)

I'd love to see another Wings game. I'll look into it, but I don't know if it'll be this season unfortunately...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Behind again...

Ferraro shakes off injury

Samuelsson 'better shape up'

Andersson gets bumped in Sweden

Some notables:

Quote:
Forward Tomas Tatar (Grand Rapids, AHL) is catching fire, with four goals and five assists in his past four games, fourth in team scoring ... Forward Gustav Nyquist (Maine, NCAA) is tied for second in Hockey East scoring with 21 points in 13 games ... Brendan Smith (Wisconsin, NCAA) is the top-scoring blueliner in all of Division I hockey ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next