OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:53 am 
OTP Historian

Larkin's just a hair under point a game right now, 20+ minutes a night and playing in all situations. He's a 1st line center.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Larkin's just a hair under point a game right now, 20+ minutes a night and playing in all situations. He's a 1st line center.

Not saying he isn't, but on a legit contender I'd think they'd want a guy just above him on the depth chart. That 1-2 punch up the middle is a must for any contender IMO. I've always been curious to see if any team ever truly bucks that particular school of thought (and no, Chicago doesn't count...Patrick Kane may line up at RW, but he's a center).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Not saying he isn't, but on a legit contender I'd think they'd want a guy just above him on the depth chart. That 1-2 punch up the middle is a must for any contender IMO. I've always been curious to see if any team ever truly bucks that particular school of thought (and no, Chicago doesn't count...Patrick Kane may line up at RW, but he's a center).

Yeah, it would be awesome to get a guy who could bump him down and would certainly help the rebuild/contend cycle, but unless they're really high in the draft it'll be difficult to get a guy likely to be that good.

Detroit's sitting in a 3-way tie for 18th in the league in points with 22. There are 8 teams behind them within 1 or 2 points. Holy mediocrity batman. They go on a quick losing streak and it could move them all the way back to like 28th or 29th.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:01 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Detroit's sitting in a 3-way tie for 18th in the league in points with 22. There are 8 teams behind them within 1 or 2 points. Holy mediocrity batman. They go on a quick losing streak and it could move them all the way back to like 28th or 29th.

That's true, and they are also only 4 points out of a playoff spot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:39 pm 
OTP Historian

Fuuuuuck. Mantha out due to having surgery on his hand after fighting Nemeth after he put Larkin's head into the boards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:53 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Fuuuuuck. Mantha out due to having surgery on his hand after fighting Nemeth after he put Larkin's head into the boards.

Justified and he definitely got the better of Nemeth in that fight but...probably not the wisest course of action.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Justified and he definitely got the better of Nemeth in that fight but...probably not the wisest course of action.

This is the second time he busted his hand fighting. The first was against his now current teammate Luke Witkowski.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 am 
OTP Historian

After taking a while to get his first of the season, Neilsen puts up a hat trick agains the Lightning in a 6-5 SO loss. No 3-goal lead is safe in a Wings game, regardless of who has it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 am 
OTP Historian

I'm expecting an absolute shit show against the Leafs tonight. Like the Leafs putting up a 7 or more on the board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:15 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
I'm expecting an absolute shit show against the Leafs tonight. Like the Leafs putting up a 7 or more on the board.

The Leafs first game with a full lineup this season. Just the kinda thing to make them come out flat. Think that is the real reason Babcock is putting Sparks in, to add one less comfort for them to fall back on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:

The Leafs first game with a full lineup this season. Just the kinda thing to make them come out flat. Think that is the real reason Babcock is putting Sparks in, to add one less comfort for them to fall back on.

Kinda ingenious if it works.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm 
King of the One-Liner

It didn't. Too much too soon Wings now you have to kill two periods.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Hounsy wrote:

The Wings couldn't hold a three-goal lead. Nice pass from Nyquist to Larkin on the OT winner though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 am 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

The Wings couldn't hold a three-goal lead. Nice pass from Nyquist to Larkin on the OT winner though.

Nobody can hold a 3-goal lead in a Wings game this year. Wings or their opponent!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:25 am 
OTP Historian

Howard holds fort in the 3rd period with the Wings getting outshot 19-4, and the Wings don't blow a 3-0 lead going on to win 3-1!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 am 
OTP Historian

Give up a hat trick to Ovechkin and lose 6-2.

Nyquist and Larkin together are flying. Nyquist is on pace for his best season in points and even has his 2013-2014 season where he put in 28 goals in 57 games beat for points per game.

So, unfortunately, now is the time to deal him. I don't think that the D and goaltending has shown enough that they'll be competitive in the next 3 years that it's worth it to keep him on an expensive deal on the decline.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:37 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Nyquist and Larkin together are flying. Nyquist is on pace for his best season in points and even has his 2013-2014 season where he put in 28 goals in 57 games beat for points per game.

So, unfortunately, now is the time to deal him. I don't think that the D and goaltending has shown enough that they'll be competitive in the next 3 years that it's worth it to keep him on an expensive deal on the decline.

Probably a good time to sell high on some players, especially Howard.

I could see Kenny finding a way to screw this up though. I get that Bernier has been abysmal in Detroit thus far but they need to start looking toward the future, and the fact is that the goalie market might never get hotter than it is right now with so many teams desperate to upgrade between the pipes.

But you weren't talking about goalies so...yeah, get a package similar or better than what Tatar snagged at the deadline.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Probably a good time to sell high on some players, especially Howard.

I could see Kenny finding a way to screw this up though. I get that Bernier has been abysmal in Detroit thus far but they need to start looking toward the future, and the fact is that the goalie market might never get hotter than it is right now with so many teams desperate to upgrade between the pipes.

But you weren't talking about goalies so...yeah, get a package similar or better than what Tatar snagged at the deadline.

Tatar had term, which is why I think he netted a great return. If Nyquist continues to light it up we should get into 1st rounder territory, hopefully, but I'm not sure that we'll see a package as good as Tatar.

Heh...I think I actually had a mention of Howard in my post as I was writing it but removed it. I mentioned him in the waiver thread:

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Chad Johnson waived by STL, picked up by ANA.

Lots of injured goalies right now, so we could see some more movement.

Howard is playing awesome. Now would be the time to find a team desperate for his services. However, Holland probably wouldn't want to because they are only 3 points back of the wild card and they've indicated that they want to bring him back next season(though you can still do that even if you deal him but would Holland want to).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Mike Green out 3-5 weeks, unfortunately. Hronek is up. Glad to see him get some more time but not at the expense of Green and his production.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:25 am 

https://youtu.be/lRDX8NuDrxA?t=161

Larkin with an amazing up-ice reception of a Frans Nielsen pass and subsequent breakaway goal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next