OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh and Jeff, don't know if this is reading too much into it but it seems to touch upon the "overmarination" of prospects you and Iyer were talking about on Twitter.

Quote:
Assistant GM Ryan Martin, despite his background as a lawyer and agent, has the soul of an old-school hockey guy. He believes in the idea that young players need to earn every opportunity they get and that players must bang down the door to earn a promotion from the AHL in Grand Rapids. He’s probably not a guy who would be eager to tear things down and trade contributing NHL players for fear that doing so could lead to an erosion of the winning culture created by multiple Stanley Cups.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:29 pm 
OTP Historian

Larkin's rebound season is encouraging for sure.

I was hoping to see a little more out of AA and Mantha this season, but it's not like this team is good.

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh and Jeff, don't know if this is reading too much into it but it seems to touch upon the "overmarination" of prospects you and Iyer were talking about on Twitter.

Quote:
Assistant GM Ryan Martin, despite his background as a lawyer and agent, has the soul of an old-school hockey guy. He believes in the idea that young players need to earn every opportunity they get and that players must bang down the door to earn a promotion from the AHL in Grand Rapids. He’s probably not a guy who would be eager to tear things down and trade contributing NHL players for fear that doing so could lead to an erosion of the winning culture created by multiple Stanley Cups.

Oh yes let's continue to give ice time to vets that the team vastly overpaid instead of younger, cheaper talent because they might not be percevied as having earned their ice time yet. Real winning culture the Wings have right now. Let's continue to overpay the shit out of established vets on the declines of their careers. That'll really keep that winning culture alive from over 10 years since they last won the Cup.

Wings fans have been so lucky to have had such an amazing run over 20+ years and I'd be perfectly content with a bad hockey team if the bad hockey team was going about becoming a winning team in a good way. Right now. they still aren't. They have taken some more positive steps but they badly erred in so many says the past 2.5 years. Sorry if I keep on beating this drum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 pm 

Apologies if I already asked this...

So what's the feeling amongst Wings fans? Should Kenny be given a chance to see this thing through or does someone else need to take the reins?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:25 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Apologies if I already asked this...

So what's the feeling amongst Wings fans? Should Kenny be given a chance to see this thing through or does someone else need to take the reins?

I think most probably think that it's time to move on and bring in some new blood and I think I'm at that point as well. Whether pressure from ownership(and Kenny) to bring the playoff streak into the new barn or just a massive misjudge of the talent level of the team, the hole that Holland dug this team into is deeep. And expensive as all fuck. Like, holy fucking not understanding the NHL aging curve.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:10 pm 

I'm rooting for Draper to get the nod, but I'm obviously biased.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:12 pm 

Some updates.

Quote:
Detroit Red Wings: The Red Wings and assistant coach John Torchetti are going separate ways following the conclusion of his two-year contract, signed in 2016. Multiple sources told The Athletic that the Red Wings have notified NHL teams via e-mail of the decision to part ways with Torchetti. Torchetti was brought to Detroit in 2016 after his stint as the interim head coach of the Minnesota Wild. “I'm looking forward to another challenge,” Torchetti told The Athletic on Tuesday. “I wish I could have done more with the team here.”

Quote:
Candidate update: Grand Rapids Griffins coach Todd Nelson is expected to get a long look again this offseason for a promotion to a head NHL job after a strong finish in Grand Rapids. As pointed out by Edmonton radio analyst Bob Stauffer, Nelson had another 40-win season in the AHL — his sixth in seven full seasons, this time overcoming a slow start following a Calder Cup to get the Griffins back into the playoffs with a second-place finish. More importantly for the rebuilding Red Wings, Nelson helped defenseman Filip Hronek take a major step forward in his development with a strong rookie season in the AHL. Nelson was a finalist for the Arizona Coyotes job last summer and is expected to get consideration in at least Dallas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 pm 

Never said "Grand Rapids Griffins" out loud until today. It actually doesn't roll off the tongue all that well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Martin Frk not qualified. He's a UFA.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:16 am 

E.L. wrote:

Really? After all that work and losing/reclaiming him on waivers and finally getting him to be a decent player, they dump his ass?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Really? After all that work and losing/reclaiming him on waivers and finally getting him to be a decent player, they dump his ass?

He just never could consistently play at an NHL level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:01 pm 

Well, ya got Filip Zadina, so it probably doesn't matter anyway. I have a feeling I'll be a fan of his.

Love the Veleno pick. If there's any organization who can develop a guy like him, it's the Wings.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 am 
Big in Japan

Wings kicked butt this draft. Also got a coach-in-waiting in Dan Bylsma.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:18 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Also got a coach-in-waiting in Dan Bylsma.

The sooner the better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:22 am 

Yep, very good draft for Detroit. As EL pointed out they took kids who fell from their expected range (Zadina, Veleno, McIssac, and Berggren). I like that Kenny (and Tyler) really did seem to go for Best Player Available and did not opt for just filling needs. I think a lot of other franchises did the opposite and ended up making reaches (hello Arizona).

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2018/ ... en-mcisaac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 pm 
Big in Japan

Xavier Ouellet bought out. Never could quite take that next step.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 pm 

Weird they'd dump a guy who was putting up very good underlying numbers and keep notable boat anchor Jonathan Ericsson around (though obviously a buyout there would be pretty costly). At the very least he'd be good depth, I don't get this move at all. Someone will take a chance on him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:34 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Weird they'd dump a guy who was putting up very good underlying numbers and keep notable boat anchor Jonathan Ericsson around (though obviously a buyout there would be pretty costly). At the very least he'd be good depth, I don't get this move at all. Someone will take a chance on him.

I'd love to get rid of Ericsson but the structure of his contract and the fact he started to play solidly in the second half of last season probably took that out of play. Also, as Eric said, Ouellet never could consistently play at an NHL level. What good is a lot of depth when it plays at an AHL level. The Red Wings also have a bunch of prospects ready for their chance in the NHL including Dennis Cholowski, Joe Hicketts, Filip Hronek and Libor Sulak.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/06/24/red-wings-waive-defenseman-xavier-ouellet/729059002/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:06 am 
OTP Historian

Russo was also dealt for a conditional 7th. Older at 25, good AHL player but couldn't make the jump. Fine with the move.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:38 pm 

Whoops, never mind, they brought Frk back after all.

Also Bertuzzi.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:43 pm 

Reading that the Wings kicked the tires on Robin Lehner. No word on whether he kicked back.

Also reading that Detroit is very close to a deal with Jonathan Bernier. I'll miss the guy, had a ROUGH start in Colorado, then found his game again under the tutelage of Jussi Parkkila, and was the starter for Colorado during their season-high 10-game win streak. Unfortunately got concussed and never got back on track.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next