OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:31 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/1 ... -vs-sabres

Helm is back after being out for 25 or so games. Miller is out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:20 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I did not catch much of the last two games that the Red Wings played. They lost both games in OT the Buffalo and to the Rags. But, from what I did see was that, to the team's credit, they still played well and looked decent doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:32 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
I did not catch much of the last two games that the Red Wings played. They lost both games in OT the Buffalo and to the Rags. But, from what I did see was that, to the team's credit, they still played well and looked decent doing it.

I caught a tiny bit of the Rangers game and saw Vanek hit the post on a great play between him and Athanasiou.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm 
OTP Historian

Vanek and Larkin both left the game against the Rags hurt and will be out.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/vanek ... -286016320

Jurco getting in is good, but not at the expense of Vanek and Larkin.

Drew Miller was actually put on waivers and cleared to head to Grand Rapids. He might be called up again though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:35 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-t ... s-coyotes/

Quote:
13. Sounds like Tomas Jurco wants a new opportunity and Detroit is trying to find a match.

Can't say that I blame him. It's too bad. He was passed on the depth charts by younger guys while losing playing time to vets. He's only 24. I hope he's able to go somewhere else and succeed. He just seems so snakebitten since that first callup and I bet it is immensely frustrating for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:14 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-hanzal-talks-stall-canadiens-coyotes/

Quote:
13. Sounds like Tomas Jurco wants a new opportunity and Detroit is trying to find a match.

Can't say that I blame him. It's too bad. He was passed on the depth charts by younger guys while losing playing time to vets. He's only 24. I hope he's able to go somewhere else and succeed. He just seems so snakebitten since that first callup and I bet it is immensely frustrating for him.

Is he injury prone or just being used incorrectly? Had 8 goals & 7 assists in 36 games as a rookie. That sounds pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:25 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-hanzal-talks-stall-canadiens-coyotes/

Quote:

Is he injury prone or just being used incorrectly? Had 8 goals & 7 assists in 36 games as a rookie. That sounds pretty good.

He was only 21 in his rookie year, too. Pressed into duty because of injuries and he did well.

Both, with some back luck? He has had some injury problems but he's also been relegated to press box duty fairly often the past two seasons since he wasn't showing enough to be on the traditional "scoring lines" and push out guys already there(except his rookie year where everyone was injured). Most of his time outside of that 13-14 season and some in 14-15 has been spent playing with Miller, Glendening and Joakim Andersson, guys who scoring chances go to die in their stone hands.

He's a career 53.96% Corsi player in 155 games in limited minutes. He's not a bad player. He's also had some fucking awful on-ice shooting%. Linemates who can't bury? Back luck? Both?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 am 

Interesting.

I would love to start a sports stats team that concentrates on identifying players who are either underused or used incorrectly, and finding teams where they would most benefit from playing. We should start it here. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:28 am 
OTP Historian

Drop an OT decision to Boston and a regulation loss to Toronto.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:52 pm 

Ken Holland is feeling the heat.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/bob-wojnowski/2017/01/25/wojo-wings-major-fix-project-holland/97072116/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:25 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:

Quote:
If you rebuild — and maybe it’ll happen anyhow — it might be 5-6 years. I don’t think people realize what it takes, how much pain it entails.

Unfortunately for Kenny, I think he is the one that didn't realize the pain aspect. It could have shortened the timeline significantly if he had done what was needed starting in the past 12 calendar months instead of trying to make the playoffs.

In the past 12 months he's signed:
7 years of 28-year Justin Abdelkader at 4.25 per season
6 years of 26-year Danny DeKeyser at 5 per season
4 additional years of 28-year Luke frigging Glendening at 1.8 per season
6 years of 32-year Frans Neilsen at 5.25 per season.
5 years of 30-year old Darren Helm at 3 per season.

So yeah, Kenny. It might be 5-6 years before you can get out from under the long-term deals you handed out to aging players on the decline. But it certainly didn't have to be. Short-sightedness in shooting for a playoff spot to continue the streak into the new building got the Wings into this mess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:06 pm 

Trade Nielsen back to the Isles. :D

Maybe Vegas takes one of those guys. Maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Forgot and added Darren Helm to the list.

Maybe, if they need to get to the salary cap? I dunno.

Ken Holland has been far too loyal to be able to successfully execute a rebuild and kept thinking that he could rebuild on the fly. Last season, he was going to have to cut ties with some guys that he'd rather not have to to go into a full rebuild. He didn't and he signed too many bad contracts to easily transition into a full rebuild.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:40 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Forgot and added Darren Helm to the list.

Maybe, if they need to get to the salary cap? I dunno.

Ken Holland has been far too loyal to be able to successfully execute a rebuild and kept thinking that he could rebuild on the fly. Last season, he was going to have to cut ties with some guys that he'd rather not have to to go into a full rebuild. He didn't and he signed too many bad contracts to easily transition into a full rebuild.

Classic GM mistakes. You'd think they'd always have someone on staff saying "let's not do what every other team has done..." Although I keep waiting for the Blackhawks to crash & burn, and they don't. Even with Kane & Toews' contracts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Smith is apparently supposed to return this weekend, making Detroit have the following on D:

Green, Kronwall, Ericsson, DDK, Smith, Oullet, Marchenko, Sproul, Jensen

None can skip waivers. Who goes down? Jensen cleared earlier this season but probably won't now. I won't be happy about losing any of Ouellet, Sproul or Jensen at this point. Smith is criminally underused by the team but at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if the waived him. He'll go somewhere else, get some ice time and show he's a far better player than the Wings brass think he is. Ericsson? Would they waive him?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:02 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Ericsson? Would they waive him?

I can only dream...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:54 pm 
OTP Historian

4-3 loss to NJ with 2 SH goals against. This team's PP is fucking terrible.

Tied with Buffalo for last in the East and tied for 3rd from the bottom of the league. A lot can change over the course of a few games. The bad part, though, even if the team is in the basement at the end of the year is again the large number of long-term contracts that the team has on the books for players who aren't getting any better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:14 pm 

It's going to be a long, hard, slog to get back to being Stanley Cup Contenders. Holland has made a lot of bad veteran contract decisions in the past few years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Pinball wizard DDK with the game winner less than a minute left in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:59 pm 
OTP Historian

Mrazek wins one for the Wings 1-0. Green scores the only goal of the game on the strength of Mantha and Zetterberg.

Smith is back in the lineup and doesn't look like he's missed a step. Detroit gets killed in even strength Corsi 50-28, and Smith was easily Detroit's best mark on defense at -2. Brought lots of offense and some physicality. Fucking yay for losing him next season and icing Kronwall and Ericsson instead,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next