OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:22 am 
Big in Japan

Pat Hickey casually mentioned in his Habs post-mortem today in the Gazoo that Kirk Muller will be Dallas' next coach, and it will be made official once the ownership change is complete.

Good luck sir.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

He damn well better hire Carbo and Keane as his assistants.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:51 pm 

This may was well serve as the "What Now?" thread, because the future of the Stars just got a whole lot darker.

http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

Quote:
With the ownership situation in DAL not likely to be settled until later in summer, DAL will not be making contract offer to Brad Richards.

Not entirely surprising news, but kind of a bummer nonetheless...and this is coming from someone who DESPISES the Stars.

Quote:
DAL would be interested in trading exclusive neg rights before July 1, but move would require Richards to waive his NMC. No guarantees.

I can't imagine Richards doing something like that...it's just negotiating rights after all (and frankly I think it's silly of GMs to trade for them in the first place). You can still say no.

Quote:
Kirk Muller is in DAL now being interviewed by Stars for vacant head-coaching position. Muller is one of three who have interviewed.

Quote:
Other top candidates in DAL besides Muller are NSH assistant Peter Horachek and Texas (AHL) coach Glen Gulutzan. Stars very high on Gulutzan

Quote:
Hearing DAL "might" interview 1-2 more but my sense is one of Muller, Horachek or Gulutzan likely to get the job. Probably settled by draft.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Richards would be a mega-dick to veto an entirely hypothetical trade which in no way limits his ability to test the market on schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:47 am 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
Richards would be a mega-dick to veto an entirely hypothetical trade which in no way limits his ability to test the market on schedule.

Plus, if he only wants to go to one team them he can do that anyway once he hits the market. The only reason he could veto a trade would be out of spite.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am 
King of the One-Liner

So who has money, space, and motivation to bid on Richards this off season. Leafs and Rangers should be all over it like it was pre-cap days as they both need a top center bad. Rangers have 13 locked for 40 million so that could and Toronto 14 player for 38 so they can both work him in if they needed to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Hounsy wrote:
So who has money, space, and motivation to bid on Richards this off season. Leafs and Rangers should be all over it like it was pre-cap days as they both need a top center bad. Rangers have 13 locked for 40 million so that could and Toronto 14 player for 38 so they can both work him in if they needed to.

LAK: 16 players, $47.9M payroll. Might be just the guy to get them past the first round.
NAS: 17 players, $40.8M payroll. Getting to the second round this year might be incentive enough to spend some money to acquire an elite forward.
COL: 13 players, $31.5M payroll. Why not?
DET: 14 players, $40.8M payroll. If Richards wants to go to a contender, this would be a good place to start...
STL: 13 players, $37.4M payroll. Lots of good young talent with size to surround Richards.
NYI: 18 players, $37.6M payroll. Tons of cap space, but perhaps not the willingness nor the $ to use it.

I would think the Kings would be very highly-motivated to go after him, followed by Nashville. I could see him kick the tires on the Kings, Preds, and Wings, just because they have the supporting cast to surround him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:20 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Buffalo should be willing to kick tires I would think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

Is possible operating under a self-imposed cap under their new ownership? They have ~41M commited to 12 guys already so that's a large chunk to commit to Richards if they are operating under their own cap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:15 pm 
King of the One-Liner

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Is possible operating under a self-imposed cap under their new ownership? They have ~41M commited to 12 guys already so that's a large chunk to commit to Richards if they are operating under their own cap.

New owner could want to make is new toy shinny is why I suggest Buffalo. Don't know for sure just wondering.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I think it will be either Leafs or Rangers, unless he wants to avoid the limelight in which case either Nashville or STL would be great fits. I hadn't thought of Detroit but I guess they are always in the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 pm 
OTP Historian

hammer wrote:
I think it will be either Leafs or Rangers, unless he wants to avoid the limelight in which case either Nashville or STL would be great fits. I hadn't thought of Detroit but I guess they are always in the mix.

I don't think Holland is looking for another big-ticket forward, but you never know...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42 pm 

My guess is Toronto gets him. The Rags will likely make a play, but Burke has probably had him targeted for a while now.

Colorado definitely WILL NOT get him, not when they have too many centers to begin with and might very well draft another this year.

Feel bad for Nieuwendyk. That depth chart at center looks really bad without Richards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Given their offensive woes, I'd say LAK and NAS will be among the frontrunners. Both are rock-solid on the back end and won't have the big market expectations that a Toronto or NY would have. If Richards has any aspirations of returning to the postseason, those would be two attractive markets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:49 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Everytime I see a new post in here, I expect talk of Kirk Muller. So I'm going to treat these last comments as ones about Kirk Muller.

Why would Colorado not be in the running for Muller, Av? Why do you think Burke will fire Wilson and hire Kirk?

And dear God, TCL, do you really think teams are going to open up their wallets that much to sign the retired for a decade Muller? Or do you not realize that coaches don't count towards the cap? Bosc seems to think Holland won't shell out big bucks to sign Muller as a forward, which seems like the most obvious statement in the world.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Maybe not:

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Also hearing unsuccessful candidates in Dallas have been told. Looks as though Texas (AHL) coach Glen Gulutzan is last man standing.

Good for Habs if true.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 pm 

Gulutzan it is...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/Dall ... ach-061711