OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=262765& ... dlines_nhl

Man, Columbus has got something going on here with the guys they've called up. First Mason's unbelievable performance thus far that has got him as a Calder front runner, and now Filatov returning from the WJC's and netting a hat trick.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Not to mention Voracek, who's having a good rookie season and Brassard who was lighting it up before he got hurt. Also, +/- can be a deceiving stat but those two are still +12 and 13. Hell, does Methot still qualify as a rookie? He played 20 and 9 games before this season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:15 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/1021 ... -big-step-

The headline says he's listening, but...

Quote:
"I have to keep working and preparing myself because tonight I am not playing, and there's some reason for that," he said. "He just said I have to work harder and keep being competitive on the puck and harder. That's it."

As it turned out, that wasn't it, but that doesn't matter.

Well...yeah it does. I really hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Zherdev. I have a feeling he won't, just 'cause I don't think it's possible for Columbus to draft two Russian wingers in a row that moronic. At the very least Rick Nash is taking Hitchcock's teaching to heart.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

From what I've seen of Filatov it doesn't look like heart or effort is the problem as much as he looks like a 14 year old girl out there. Dude makes M.E. Vlasic look tough. But apparently he put on a bunch of muscle over the summer, and there is no doubt his skills are sick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:46 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Well...yeah it does. I really hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Zherdev. I have a feeling he won't, just 'cause I don't think it's possible for Columbus to draft two Russian wingers in a row that moronic.

I haven't heard anything about Filatov that would indicate that he's like Zherdev at all...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:11 pm 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=298705

And he's off to Russia for the rest of the year on loan. I guess he must not have wanted to go to the AHL and this was the compromise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:16 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I haven't heard anything about Filatov that would indicate that he's like Zherdev at all...

saskhab wrote:

And he's off to Russia for the rest of the year on loan. I guess he must not have wanted to go to the AHL and this was the compromise.

Well, he might not have Zherdev's attitude, but he sure as hell seems to be on the same career path.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

saskhab wrote:

Well, he might not have Zherdev's attitude, but he sure as hell seems to be on the same career path.

Prior to the draft, the analysts were saying that this is a kid who wants to play in the NHL, wanted to come over immediately and was already fluent in English. I wonder why he's headed back to Russia. Maybe they were wrong, who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:17 pm 
Big in Japan

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I wonder why he's headed back to Russia.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:21 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Prior to the draft, the analysts were saying that this is a kid who wants to play in the NHL, wanted to come over immediately and was already fluent in English. I wonder why he's headed back to Russia. Maybe they were wrong, who knows.

To play at the highest level he can. It's the AHL or the KHL, and he chose the KHL. He's not ready for the NHL yet.

He'll be back in training camp in 2010 as per his contract.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:31 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

To play at the highest level he can. It's the AHL or the KHL, and he chose the KHL. He's not ready for the NHL yet.

Not to mention he can make a boatload more cash playing in the KHL than he would in the A...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
saskhab wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

Not to mention he can make a boatload more cash playing in the KHL than he would in the A...

He'll make what he was making in the NHL, but with no performance bonuses. So $875,000. I guess Russian taxes (or lack there of) kick in, and his AHL salary is $65,000, so yeah, that's quite a difference.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display. ... 8670&pos=F

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 pm 

I guess every hockey sportswriter's twitter feed is pointing toward a possible trade between the Blue Jackets and Capitals, the names being bandied about are Filatov, Jurcina, and Morrisonn. Makes sense in the long run. The Caps will need a replacement when Semin bolts in 2011 and the Jax need a puckmoving defenseman.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:52 pm 

Never mind...Jurcina is now a Blue Jacket, but Filatov stays put.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2506&p=28958#p28958

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:34 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
I guess every hockey sportswriter's twitter feed is pointing toward a possible trade between the Blue Jackets and Capitals, the names being bandied about are Filatov, Jurcina, and Morrisonn. Makes sense in the long run. The Caps will need a replacement when Semin bolts in 2011 and the Jax need a puckmoving defenseman.

Jurcina and Morrisonn are puck-moving D? That's like when Cassie Campbell called Ericsson and Lebda "shut-down D".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:38 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Jurcina and Morrisonn are puck-moving D? That's like when Cassie Campbell called Ericsson and Lebda "shut-down D".

Well, I'm not saying either of them are Drew Doughty, but I always thought both had some offensive upside. They sure as hell aren't shutdown defenders. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:35 am 

Wow...some revealing quotes from the now ex-captain of the Russian World Juniors team. Sask might have more light to shed on this.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/201 ... -ride.html

Not sure what I would do now if I were Howson. It's clear he won't come back so long as Hitch remains behind the bench. If Filatov were the only kid buckling badly under him then this point wouldn't be debatable...but at what point is supporting a coach, even a good one, just plain foolhardy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 am 

I didn't hear the Hitch stuff, but I know all about the WJC stuff. Coach there crossed a line.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 am 
King of Men

This is just plain bitchiness. Prove your NHL worth first...then become a primadonna bitch. Go play in the damn KHL and shut up. There you can all have fun giving up on each other when things don't go your way.

In the NHL we have things called teams. Learn it or stay the hell over there.