OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Took all of 4 games for Torts to bench Laine. :haha:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:54 am 
Big in Japan

Torts is still dining out on a cup he won 16 years ago. Luckily for him back then he had Marty St-Louis who could hustle every night with his tree trunk legs and he was able to motivate Vinny long enough to get him at his best. He's done diddly squat since then.

Sure, he gets a good team effort and the Jackets have overachieved, but that's only because they've gutted the team of talent at his behest. So, worth the tradeoff?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:05 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Torts is still dining out on a cup he won 16 years ago. Luckily for him back then he had Marty St-Louis who could hustle every night with his tree trunk legs and he was able to motivate Vinny long enough to get him at his best. He's done diddly squat since then.

Sure, he gets a good team effort and the Jackets have overachieved, but that's only because they've gutted the team of talent at his behest. So, worth the tradeoff?

Agreed, he would have been done coaching after Vancouver if he hadn't won the Cup with Tampa.

I don't think he's worth any tradeoff.

And I hadn't realized that Laine was benched before PLD has even gotten into a game with Winnepegging themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I've liked Torts over the years but his schtick has worn thin. I don't mind him getting contentious with guys like Larry Brooks but he just seems like he's in a continual rage these days. He's turning into the next Ron Wilson, and I absolutely hated Wilson.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:29 pm 

Mikko Koivu retired after seven games with Lumbus.

Don't know if Torts had anything to do with his decision, but that's just more flack Jarmo is going to have to take after decided to side with his coach. I'm guessing he's going to have to fire the guy anyway after this season, so...was it worth it, Jarmo?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:24 am 

Portzline says on one of the last TSN stations left standing that he thinks Torts wants out, but won’t quit. I kinda get that impression too. He’s never been the happiest of guys but the last year or so he just seems mad at everyone and everything.

Jarmo is gonna have to make a decision here. He can let Torts poison the well and alienate another star player (albeit one who sure seems like he’s a Kovalev-level diva) or just stop the bleeding now and just weather the ensuing PR fallout from the fans.

I’ll say this: If anything will unravel Jarmo’s tenure in Lumbus won’t be the Dubois/Torts debacle, it’ll be the huge swing and miss on Wennberg, and subsequent gamble on Max Domi. For all the flack Laine gets for indifferent play, Tie’s kid is a rotten apple already screwing things up in his third NHL stop.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:28 am 
Big in Japan

I don't think the most recent election went in Torts' favour. Was probably mad he was too busy coaching to storm the Capitol.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:00 pm 

$1 says the Pens fire Sullivan and Torts gets replaced by Sullivan.

I can see Torts just being pissed at life right now and hating the way everything is done. He could be on a stacked team on the way to a clear Cup run and he'd be pissed.
He should just retire and be with his rescue dogs all day. The whole world would be happier.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:08 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
$1 says the Pens fire Sullivan and Torts gets replaced by Sullivan.

I can see Torts just being pissed at life right now and hating the way everything is done. He could be on a stacked team on the way to a clear Cup run and he'd be pissed.
He should just retire and be with his rescue dogs all day. The whole world would be happier.

Jarmo's an idiot if he follows up Torts with Sullivan. That's like trying to cut your grass with a flamethrower, and then when that doesn't work, following up with a grenade.

No, it'll be ye olde "player's coach" if they go with anyone else.

Torts definitely needs to spend more time with his dogs. He's obviously a tad stressed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:21 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

Torts definitely needs to spend more time with his dogs. He's obviously a tad stressed.

To quote Good Morning Viet Nam, the man most in dire need of a hand job.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Roslovic is now the first line centre, Laine fought a guy so he's back on the top line, and Max Domi is 4th line filler.

Torts works in mysterious ways.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:57 am 

E.L. wrote:
Roslovic is now the first line centre, Laine fought a guy so he's back on the top line, and Max Domi is 4th line filler.

Torts works in mysterious ways.

It’s not so mysterious—he motivates players by fucking with them, straight from Babcock’s book.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 am 

That said, Roslovic has shown some insane moves since donning the blue jacket.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Domi on the block. Kinda surprised he hasn't been motivated in Columbus. If Torts can't get Domi energized and using his wheels, then that's on him. Should've come here with plenty of motivation to prove the Habs wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:16 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Domi on the block. Kinda surprised he hasn't been motivated in Columbus. If Torts can't get Domi energized and using his wheels, then that's on him. Should've come here with plenty of motivation to prove the Habs wrong.

There's a lot to blame Torts for, but not that.

I knew that was gonna be a major fuck-up on Jarmo's part. Max is a fuckin' dog, man. Amazing player when he feels like it, otherwise he's a ghost. At some point it's not the team's job to motivate a guy--if he can't find it that's on him. It's his third goddamned team he's done this with. Worthless.

Maybe Tie shouldn't have (and continue to) coddled him so much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Sure, it's all in Max's head, but Torts should've had an easy time motivating him. "The Habs didn't want you, I want you. No one wants to sign you long-term, go score and get paid my boy."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:34 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Sure, it's all in Max's head, but Torts should've had an easy time motivating him. "The Habs didn't want you, I want you. No one wants to sign you long-term, go score and get paid my boy."

If it were that easy to keep Max interested, he wouldn't be on his way to a fourth NHL team at the age of 26.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:13 am 
Big in Japan

Laine got benched again. The Jackets aren't even good. Is there a reason Johnny America is still coach? Good for PR in Americaland to have an All-American coach USA USA?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 am 

E.L. wrote:
Laine got benched again. The Jackets aren't even good. Is there a reason Johnny America is still coach? Good for PR in Americaland to have an All-American coach USA USA?

Hey, they stuck with Torts this long, may as well run this motherfucker into the ground.

Laine even scored. So did previous doghouse resident Max Domi. And also, Torts has been calling out local boy Jack Roslovic.

Torts should've been fired over the offseason. So many viable candidates who would've been better for this team. Instead they stuck with him and now they're fucked.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:01 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Same approach as Sutter. If you don't play my brand of D, you get benched. I don't care who the fuck you are.

Limited shelf life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next