OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Arniel has a history after only one season?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Aaron Portzline tweeted that Rutherford offered Kaberle and a 2nd rounder to Columbus for Derick Brassard last month, but Howson said no. Salaries aren't an exact match, so there'd have to be some maneuvering, but still...

That's how bad it's gotten for T-Kabs...can't even get an overpaid headcase in return for him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:57 pm 

Kristian Huselius plays 2 games, registers zero points and 2 PIM, and is now out for "weeks" with a groin strain.

That's a shame...he was one of Howson's better acquisitions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm 

Hmmmm....

Quote:
@GMScottHowson: Very pleased that we have hired Craig Patrick as senior advisor, hockey operations. Looking forward to him working w us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 pm 

Johansen is now on the top line with Nash and Carter. Man, that's a whole lotta playmaking for one rookie center to have to do on the wing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 pm 

This is going to come as a shock, especially to Squiggy18, but Radek Martinek has been lost for the season with a concussion.

His replacement?

Adam Proteau on Twitter wrote:
Brett Lebda signs with Columbus, proving that, even if you can beat them, you can still join them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:34 pm 

So uh...Jeff Carter's available everyone!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... um=twitter

I agree with Wysh. How in fuck can management still have their jobs after this!? After they've all but admitted that trading two extremely valuable (or at least the potential for that value) pieces for a malcontent with a monster contract was a mistake mere months after pulling it off? Seriously...the contract for Wiz was a stupid one as well.

It sure isn't easy being a sports fan in Ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:37 pm 

Wow...what a damning piece by Portzline. It's no surprise that they're in this mess after reading this.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/ ... eason.html

Are you fucking kidding me? I actually have more experience as a defenseman than the guy Arniel hired to coach the defense!?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:29 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Just can't see Carter being moved now. His value surely has dropped and they will not get back what they paid the optics of moving him now at a loss would be brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Just can't see Carter being moved now. His value surely has dropped and they will not get back what they paid the optics of moving him now at a loss would be brutal.

Optics be damned, no point in keeping a player who clearly doesn't want to be there. Give Dale Tallon credit, his moves were as much to change the culture in Florida as anything else. It's clear they're not going to get what they had to give up...doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Admit you fucked up royally and move on. But it should Craig Patrick making that deal, not Howson. The caveat on Patrick is that he too acted a bit power-hungry and paranoid during his final years in Pittsburgh (though that may have had to do with the dire financial situation more than anything else).

Besides, Columbus needs cap room to fit some expensive (and regrettable) contract extensions that kick in for Tyutin and Cheeseburger. I don't think getting Huselius off the books is enough. There's a problem right there--when your top-paid defenders are James Wisniewski and Fedor fucking Tyutin, you don't have a very good defense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 am 

Man...I do not envy the Jax right now. I'm not sure what I'd do with Nash. On one hand, he's the only reason fans even bother to show up. He's the only legit star the franchise has ever produced. One the other hand, there are simply too many holes in the lineup and in the organization to think this team will become a contender anytime soon. An attempt to spend their way into contention has yielded disastrous results. So...what do you do?

I'd start of course by firing Howson and Richards, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 am 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:

I would start there then move Carter who I don't think wants to be there and it reflects in his play and find a legit goalie as the handful of games this year I've seen that has been cancerous. Other than that wait for summer as far as Nash is concerned and see if you have that next star in the draft before you entertain moving him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:01 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I would start there then move Carter who I don't think wants to be there and it reflects in his play and find a legit goalie as the handful of games this year I've seen that has been cancerous. Other than that wait for summer as far as Nash is concerned and see if you have that next star in the draft before you entertain moving him.

Yeah...Carter has to go. And as much as it would be embarrassing to do so, if they indeed have an amnesty buyout period, I'd get rid of Wisniewski as well. He's good, but they paid WAY too much for him out of desperation. They're just gonna have to bite the bullet on Carter and take whatever they can get for him. Reports say one team approached with a real half-assed offer...apart from that, no interest so far.

Hope springs eternal I suppose...even the Cats appear to be on the right track after a decade-plus of futility.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:02 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
This is going to come as a shock, especially to Squiggy18, but Radek Martinek has been lost for the season with a concussion.

[/quote]

:o

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 pm 

I think the Jax just need to stop playing games and forfeit the rest of the season. Wisniewski gets struck in the ankle by a Duncan Keith shot and leaves immediately for the dressing room. Earlier, Steve Mason gets yanked from a game and is seen screaming at Todd Richards afterwards. I don't think we can blame Nash and Carter for wanting out of this mess...and I have to wonder if Vinny Prospal is regretting his decision to stay even one more year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Mason wasn't yelling at Todd Richards. There was a fan in the stands behind Richards that was heckling him.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Mason wasn't yelling at Todd Richards. There was a fan in the stands behind Richards that was heckling him.

Ah, okay. Sometimes the Twitters can be a tad impetuous.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:21 pm 

I think that this all started with someone asking if Jeff Carter was playing in tonight's game, but the Blue Jackets' official Twitter feed is downright hilarious today with the PR guy operating it completely hamming it up with everyone's ridiculous questions, from "What is hockey?" to opinions on love, turning down dates (he's taken), breakfast, joking about Jack Johnson performing in between periods, etc. For a franchise that is taking a beating, this is a refreshing thing to see:

https://twitter.com/#!/BlueJacketsNHL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 pm 

Wisniewski, Johnson, Tyutin, and Methot. Never has there been more money invested in a blueline so obviously bad. On top of that, they lost Clitsome on waivers for nothing.

Sadly, Wisniewski is good, but that contract will do for his career what it's done for guys like Scott Gomez and Matt Stajan. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Howson buys him out.

Read on Portzline's Twitter feed that the Jackets believe they're two players and goaltender away from being contenders. Calling it "reshaping" rather than "rebuilding". Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 pm 

They could really use a guy like Jeff Carter to put them closer to contending. :spin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next