OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:49 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Police report came out on what went down with Galchenyuk and, holy shit.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/form ... eport/amp/

This guy is seriously fucked up in the head.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:58 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I always wonder- is shit like this because he's an entitled pro athlete? Did his father always take responsibility for the kid's actions? Or is the father protecting him because the son is the father's meal ticket?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:26 am 
Big in Japan

4 x 4 for Colton. Not sure about that contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:45 pm 

E.L. wrote:
4 x 4 for Colton. Not sure about that contract.

Eh, it's only half a million more than what Compher was making previously, and he's a better player.

It's not cheap to be sure but I don't think it's an egregious overpay either. In any event after the next couple years it'll all be a moot point because the Avs window will essentially be closed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Kiviranta signs a PTO. Went off in the 2018-19 playoffs but hasn't done much since.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Kiviranta signs a PTO. Went off in the 2018-19 playoffs but hasn't done much since.

Yeah, he literally ended the Avs' playoff run in the Bubble with an OT goal, I can see why they're interested in him. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:21 pm 

Interesting. Tomas Tatar spotted at practice with Miles Wood and others, wearing Avs gear. No word on whether he’s signing but that would be a very nice addition.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:33 pm 

Never mind, literally just received word that he signed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:38 pm 
King of Men

What's up with this team and the Habs cast offs? I can't say its a bad gamble for less than 2.5 Million combined as Drouin is 28 and Tatar 32. Should be interesting.

On a side note if McFarland is pinning any hope on a Landeskog return he's hitting the pipe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:39 pm 
Big in Japan

I think Tatar is a shrewd pickup for the Avs. Well worth that price and an effective 5v5 player. Better bet than Drouin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:16 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
I think Tatar is a shrewd pickup for the Avs. Well worth that price and an effective 5v5 player. Better bet than Drouin.

100% agree! I really liked Tatar with the Habs. I wish Drouin well, but just don't feel he will deliver.

Time will tell and for his sake, I hope he does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:42 am 
OTP Historian

Love Tatar. Good landing spot for him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:35 pm 
Big in Japan

The book on Tatar is that his feisty, puck moving style hasn't translated in the playoffs. He's aggressive carrying the puck, and when games get tighter, he loses that space he needs. But by no means a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:33 pm 

Avs are once again in the market for a backup goalie, Adrian Dater reported that Pavel Francouz is out with an injury. I'm guessing it's bad.

Frankie will always be beloved in Avs fandom but dude's ligaments are made of old chewing gum.

I was absolutely horrified at the prospect of Colorado possibly pursuing Casey DeSmith but I just read he was dealt to Vancouver. Whew. At least for now.

Jonas Johansson, whom the Avs scrambled to get in the wake of the Hunter Miska disaster a couple years back, is signed with the Tampa Bay Lightning, so the Avs have a bit of a conundrum before them. Their "goalie of the future," Justus Annunen, has been barely AHL-worthy and awful at the NHL level. Beyond that there's Trent Miner, who's played mostly in Utah for the ECHL Grizzlies, and Arvid Holm. No idea who Holm is, but he only has 46 games of AHL experience thus far. Doubtful that he can fill the 2G spot reliably.

Looks like ol' MacFarland will be looking outside the organization to fill the void once more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:36 pm 
King of Men

I tried to get a trade going on capfriendly the other day with Vladar and Backlund going to Colorado but this just doesn't ever look good for the Flames.....Sammy and/or ChooChoo? No thanks. Its hard to pull these things off with neither team having 2 nickels to rub together......so it will probably be some quick dip into the UFA bargain bin for an old man....John Gilles is out there!

Heard today that Manson is still f'n hurt.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:52 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
I tried to get a trade going on capfriendly the other day with Vladar and Backlund going to Colorado but this just doesn't ever look good for the Flames.....Sammy and/or ChooChoo? No thanks. Its hard to pull these things off with neither team having 2 nickels to rub together......so it will probably be some quick dip into the UFA bargain bin for an old man....John Gilles is out there!

Heard today that Manson is still f'n hurt.......

Hard to say whether he is or not. He took to the ice at camp, quickly came off, didn't participate the next day, but I'm told he had some equipment issue that was bothering his hip or something, they made the proper adjustments and then he was fine. At least that's the last I heard. You'd find alien autopsy results in the government archives easier than you'd find information on Avalanche player injuries.

But yeah, that contract was a bad idea in the first place, and it's looking worse by the day. MacFarland so far is having a decent Year Two, but his rookie season left much to be desired.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:10 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

I was absolutely horrified at the prospect of Colorado possibly pursuing Casey DeSmith but I just read he was dealt to Vancouver. Whew. At least for now.

:haha:

Not sure about your sigh of relief, now that the Nucks have DeSmith, it frees up Spencer Martin, and he and the Av's are being linked in rumour by Elliot Friedman. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:22 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
:haha:

Not sure about your sigh of relief, now that the Nucks have DeSmith, it frees up Spencer Martin, and he and the Av's are being linked in rumour by Elliot Friedman. :lol:

Hey I'd be fine with Martin, he's probably an upgrade on Annunen, but unfortunately it sure looks like they're gonna try Justus Department out as the 2C.

FTR it ain't DeSmith the goalie I dislike, it's DeSmith the human being.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:26 pm 

Avs win last night against the reigning Cup champs 3-2, a preseason contest I know, but 1, it featured a GWG from none other than Kurtis MacDermid, and 2, it came just over 24 hours after the Broncos season officially ended!

Some of the youngsters impressed, doesn't look like there will be any major cuts today. I love the fact that Colorado has a guy on the roster named Ivan Ivan.

The Jo Drouin-->Jo Hansen connection impressed last night, combining for a nifty PPG. I shudder to think what that duo would do at even strength, but on the man-advantage they could do some damage.

I'm not quite ready for hockey season but I will be soon. I say every year I'm going to be a more casual fan and then I'm the same rabid dog watching the TV, I think this year will be different. There's really no pressure, the Stanley Cup was won...and then lost, so there's no huge onus on the Avs to win it all, and they're also not defending a championship either. Just get out there and see what happens. Realistically this roster has 2, maybe 3 years before that window slams shut, so may as well enjoy it while it lasts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:44 pm 

Also, of course, there are already injuries.

We already know Landeskog is out for the regular season at least, Pavel Francouz is likely out long-term as well, and of course CALE MAKAR is dealing with something. Tomas Tatar also blocked a shot last night and isn't out for today's practice.

One thing that was revealed in a quick intermission interview with Katie Gaus is that the Avs have officially designated Kurtis MacDermid as a FORWARD. And thank the Hockey Gods, because I truly believe he might be the very worst defenseman to ever play for the organization...and that's saying something with the likes of David Koci and Francois Lerroux counted among the (non) blueliners who have donned the burgundy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next