OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Pretty much do-or-die on Grubauer and Landeskog now...I doubt either guy comes back if nothing is signed before tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:21 am 
Big in Japan

Landeskog gets his money. 8x7M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:39 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Landeskog gets his money. 8x7M

Damn. Imagine what he'd get if it wasn't the flat cap era.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Detroit should send you Greiss and eat one of Dallas's deals for some picks. Or, launder Bishop to you. Both, perhaps.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:02 pm 
King of Men

Ouch the Kraken swoop in and take Grubauer at 5.9 for 6 years....time to find a goalie!!!! I get Sakic went to the Pierre Lacroix school of negotiation but geez....what's next Kuemper, Rask?

I'd take a guess at Rask.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Seattle used all that weaponized cap space for Grubbauer? Yikes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 am 
King of Men

Sakic handcuffed .....has to trade for Kuemper and give up a 2022 first round draft choice, a 2024 third round draft choice and Timmins. Ouch..... :kraken:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:42 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Sakic handcuffed .....has to trade for Kuemper and give up a 2022 first round draft choice, a 2024 third round draft choice and Timmins. Ouch..... :kraken:

Well the third rounder is conditional upon them winning the Cup, so I'm all for them giving it up!

Yeah it was an overpay for a rental. Sakic usually avoids bidding wars whenever he can, but this time he had to get a goalie because he had none, and unfortunately the Oilers were the other team, so an overpayment was inevitable.

Bummed as hell to lose Conor Timmins right when his NHL game was finally coming together, but I'll admit the injury risks with him will always be high, so I suppose it's best to get something for him now rather than later.

The bummer of it is that Kuemper is not a huge upgrade on Grubauer. Some might argue it's not an upgrade at all, and then there's also the injury history. I think he's a better goalie but that sure was a high price to pay for a one-year rental. This is where the organization's rather lackadaisical approach to developing a goalie in-house has kinda bitten them in the ass.

So far the only FA signing the Avs have made is Darren Helm, which is fine for depth purposes. I sure hope there's more in store because the Avs, on paper at least, look worse than they did at the close of this postseason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:31 pm 

Jesus...I guess the Avs just want to go and set the record for man games lost to injury this season.

First Kuemper, now they sign Ryan Murray to a one-year deal at $2 million. He was quite bad last season in NJ. Don't like this one much at all, but it wasn't like there was a ton of options.

Don't really love how this offseason has gone for Colorado. Sakic kinda painted himself into a corner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Murray as a depth guy is fine. I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's funny because Graves went to NJ, so think of it that way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Murray as a depth guy is fine. I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's funny because Graves went to NJ, so think of it that way.

They likely haven't gotten worse, but the worry is they haven't gotten much better, and they had to give up a lot of assets to ensure they didn't regress badly. I just kinda hate that a super injury-prone defenseman has been added to an already injury-prone blueline.

Justin Barron will be seeing some playing time in the NHL for sure next season. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I think Joe is gearing up to add one more forward. It'd be great if that addition coincided with the Avs dealing away J.T. Compher and his rather bloated contract, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. They could still sign a guy on the cheap and make it just under the cap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:28 am 
Big in Japan

Nate Mackinnon is a crazy person, so says Zadorov: https://twitter.com/HockeyHoundShow/sta ... 1697320960

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:59 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Nate Mackinnon is a crazy person, so says Zadorov: https://twitter.com/HockeyHoundShow/sta ... 1697320960

The memes coming out in response to this are frickin' hilarious. :lol:

There's nothing here that's hugely revelatory. We've all seen Nate lose his shit and at times make some poor decisions as a result. Also knew the guy was super-driven. In a lot of ways that's a great guy to have on your team. I can see how it could be a negative of course, but one hopes that Landeskog wears the C and has a much cooler, calmer approach that temper's MacKinnon's.

I read on HF that there's a story that Landy takes newly arrived players aside and kinda "explains" MacKinnon to them so that they're prepared. :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:37 pm 

We're officially in the doldrums in terms of hockey offseason, so not much happening. A couple items to note:

1. Oskar Olausson, the Avs' first round pick from this year, has officially made the jump to North America and signed with the Barrie Colts. Seems like a pretty solid prospect, and he appears to be following a similar path to Gabe Landeskog, who played junior hockey in Kitchener.

2. Peter Budaj, who might be the very nicest guy to ever don an Avalanche sweater, has been hired as the organization's goalie development coach. He will work closely with the team's top netminding prospect Justus Annunen, who made the jump to the pros this year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:30 pm 
Big in Japan

Jack Johnson PTO!

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Jack Johnson PTO!

:haha:

Meh, this will probably end the same way the PTOs for Jared Cowen and Andrej Meszaros, in the end they were just an extra body for camp/preseason and then got cut loose before the season started. Avs don't really need him.

This isn't surprising in the least though, the Avs reportedly liked JJ a LOT back in the day, I'm pretty sure one of the rumored deals for Matt Duchene involved him somehow. Thank goodness that never came to pass. In the end, GMs always get their guy, even if said guy is way, way past his expiration date.

Sad about that dude though. Lost all his money from his prime years thanks to his idiot parents, and now isn't remotely good enough to earn enough coin to alleviate those debts. Hopefully there's a future for him at USA Hockey, where he's already a bit of a legend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:33 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
In the end, GMs always get their guy, even if said guy is way, way past his expiration date.

Fact. See: Lamoriello/Parise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:52 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Also, Steve Yzerman and his inexplicable obsession with Chris Kunitz.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:25 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Also, Steve Yzerman and his inexplicable obsession with Chris Kunitz.

Good one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:50 pm 

Avs also sign Artem Anisimov to a PTO. Like JJ, I would be shocked as all get out if he earns himself a contract out of camp.