OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Key UFAs: Brandon Saad, Philipp Grubauer, Gabriel Landeskog

Key RFAs: Cale Makar, Tyson Jost

Rumors persist that the Avs are in on Seth Jones, and that it might just be a rental situation. I honestly don't know how to feel about it--the talent is still there, he's still relatively young, but his last two seasons have been abominable. Don't know if that was just the Lumbus Effect, or if he is for whatever reason on a very steep decline.

Hopefully the Makar and Landy negotiations are quick, they move on from Compher and Jost, and shove Ryan Graves out the nearest airlock.

Not sure about Grubauer. Despite finishing as a Vezina finalist, his playoff performances the last two of three seasons (last year he got hurt) have been less than stellar. He's a goalie in the Freddy Andersen mould--good, athletic, but not elite and prone to bad stretches. Neither guy seems able to get it done in the postseason. BUT...there's no obvious upgrade unless the Avs want to pay a premium and trade for Elvis Merzlikins. So I guess it's I Am Groob going forward, sink or swim.

Biggest need this offseason is obviously signing the players that need to be signed, possibly shoring up depth at center, and moving some of the more problematic contracts on the books. Despite being a pretty good player the last couple seasons, I'm guessing Seattle takes Joonas Donskoi, which benefits the Avs as they need the cap room. Don't know if Erik Johnson is headed to a buyout but at the very least he'll need to waive his NMC so the Avs can protect Makar, Girard, and Toews.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:14 pm 
Big in Japan

I think it's a foregone conclusion Landeskog is back, but maybe not? If he wants 7x7, does Sakic balk?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:34 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I think it's a foregone conclusion Landeskog is back, but maybe not? If he wants 7x7, does Sakic balk?

I think any scenario where Landeskog leaves is a full-on disaster for the Avs. There is literally NO ONE on the roster who can do what he does. Way, way too important to the success of this franchise both on and off the ice. You lose him you threaten to close the window just when it's opening.

Frankly if they lock him down at $7 million per they should be okay with that. Anything less, they should be thrilled.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Erik Johnson officially waives his NMC for the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:54 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Erik Johnson officially waives his NMC for the expansion draft.

That's good--it would've had to be a buyout otherwise.

They won't take him but it was a necessary step to allow the Avs to go with 7/3.

Regardless, dude is class and team-first all the way. I hope to hell he sticks around long enough to get his name on the Cup. Obviously the Avs have to WIN the Cup in order for that to happen, but EJ has had to weather some really shitty seasons rife with bad management and shit luck, if anyone on this team deserves it, he does.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:49 pm 

Dreger reported that the Landeskog negotiations were not going well, and Peter Baugh of the Athletic got some pretty good quotes from the Captain, who is apparently pretty frustrated with the process thus far. Basically says he wishes it would've been done a long time ago and that he's disappointed it's come to this point. That doesn't bode well.

I know the Avs have been pretty good about avoiding those truly onerous contracts that pay guys big money well into their thirties...but I don't think you can avoid that here. You just gotta pay the man and hope he remains at or close to his prime during the team's Cup window, and whatever happens after that...happens. Losing Landeskog now would be a devastating blow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Graves to NJ for Maltsev and a 2nd. Expansion draft figured out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:45 am 

E.L. wrote:

That’s a great deal by Sakic. They get a nice pick (2nd rounder, originally NYI’s) and who knows about Maltsev, but they get something of value rather than lose a 2nd/3rd pairing guy for nothing. Now the Avs can go about convincing Seattle to take Compher, Donskoi, or in an ideal world, both.

Now…please sign Landeskog already.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That’s a great deal by Sakic. They get a nice pick (2nd rounder, originally NYI’s) and who knows about Maltsev, but they get something of value rather than lose a 2nd/3rd pairing guy for nothing. Now the Avs can go about convincing Seattle to take Compher, Donskoi, or in an ideal world, both.

Now…please sign Landeskog already.

Excellent piece of work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:50 am 

Fucking hell, Avs are leaving Landeskog unprotected.

It’s not officially the end of the road, but it sure feels like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:59 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

Is there a universe in which Landeskog goes to Montreal and Danault to Colorado?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:08 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:

Guess they figure they're losing him to UFA, so why not protect someone else who plans on staying? I guess?

Seattle could end up with a hell of a team. I wonder if any teams will bow out of the league for a year or two, then come back as an expansion franchise to have a chance to totally retool and be instant contenders. :lol:

The Arizona Coyotes just folded in 2022, but now the same ownership group is petitioning the league to enter the league as the expansion Chandler Desert Dogs in 2024.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:16 pm 

So I don't think the Kraks are going to select and sign Landy outright, but what they could do is open talks for a sign-and-trade with a team like St. Louis. That's a genuine concern, and it of course would continue to the trend of past stars and/or draft picks coming back to the Central goddamned Division, so that would be fitting.

A lot of people still think this is just posturing, and in even wilder context, a cover to allow the Avs to protect an extra player--some theorize the deal is in the drawer and the Avs are just waiting until after the draft. I doubt that though. I think, barring any last-minute compromises on either side, we've seen the last of Landeskog in Denver. And that's potentially devastating to the Avs' contention window.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm 

According to former Avs beat writer and current Kraken beat writer for The Athletic, Ryan S. Clark, the Avs are losing Joonas Donskoi.

That's a good thing. I was really hoping the reports that the Kraks were thinking about taking Compher were true as he makes similar coin and is a demonstrably worse player. But the Avs SHOULD have the depth necessary to offset this loss. Donk is a good player but he was ultimately overpaid for what he did, and had two rather poor showings in the last two playoffs.

Martin Kaut...it's now or never bro.

Now we'll see if the Avs and Landeskog can reach a deal before the 26th. If they don't by then, pretty sure it's over. Not looking optimistic at all, but maybe Landy will be more amenable to talk now that he knows Seattle was not going to pay him what he wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:45 pm 
Big in Japan

That Donskoi Kong Country deal worked out perfect for Sakic: get a couple of productive years then pawn him off to someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:52 pm 

Latest kooky rumor has Phil The Thrill coming to Colorado.

I know the Avs have expressed interest in Conor Garland which would be HILARIOUS given the history between him and Landeskog/MacKinnon, so we'll see I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:55 pm 
King of Men

Hunh? I don't get it...Donskoi is a steal when you compare him to someone like Kadri. This team has a shit ton of work to do in the offseason. They don't even have a top line anymore....and no Burakovsky certainly doesn't count.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Hunh? I don't get it...Donskoi is a steal when you compare him to someone like Kadri. This team has a shit ton of work to do in the offseason. They don't even have a top line anymore....and no Burakovsky certainly doesn't count.

I am no fan of Kadri's after this year, but he remains the 2nd-best center on this roster, they absolutely COULD NOT afford to lose him.

Donskoi is a good 3rd line winger who scores in major stops and starts--he's insanely streaky, and frankly the deal he was on was a slight overpayment (as most free agent deals usually are). The Avs have depth wingers they can use to replace Donskoi, they don't really have one for Kadri...Alex Newhook is supposed to be the heir apparent to that 2nd line center spot but he's way too raw to take on that load now, and it remains to be seen if he'll be a center or a winger in the NHL.

I imagine we've only seen the beginning of Sakic's work--he shaves about $7 million off the books by shedding Donk and Graves, and he has yet to re-sign Landeskog and Makar. But I think the roster tinkering will go way beyond that. I think they'll be pushing hard to add a veteran D-man to play the 2nd pairing and try like hell to get at least one impact forward.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 am 
Big in Japan

6x9 for Cale Makar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:39 pm 

E.L. wrote:
6x9 for Cale Makar

And the Avs take his little bro Taylor in the 7th round. Good day for the Makar Clan.