OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

UNDEFEATED...after one game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:50 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
82-0.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Logical Progression wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
82-0.

UNDEFEATED...after 2 games.

80 more to go! :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 pm 

Some lingering problems from last season:

1. Inconsistent power play that relies too much on big shots from up high.
2. Bad penalty kill.
3. Relatively weak efforts in the 2nd period.
4. Tyson Jost.

That said, still plenty of time to work out these issues. I think, ultimately, that Jost will be sent away before the end of the season. It's clear he doesn't know his role, and the coaches don't really know where to put him.

I just read they sent Conor Timmins down to Loveland, which could be for several reasons: One, he's been okay, but not great. Two, he could stand to play a larger role with more minutes. But I think the biggest reason is that right now, the Eagles are off to a truly horrendous start and need some reinforcements. There's also the possibility he was merely sent down because the Avs are on an extended break.

Ian Cole practiced without a non-contact jersey so he may show up sooner than December. The Avs also have Mark Barberio on the depth chart, may as well use him before he gets hurt again.

Avs get to stay undefeated for a good long time as they do not play again until THURSDAY. Who the hell makes this schedule!?!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:49 pm 

4-2 win over the Bruins. The B's actually scored 4 times, but 2 of those goals got called back. One on a goalie interference call (I think it was fair but I'm biased, so)...and the other on an offside challenge. The latter is just more bullshit as the zone entry happened waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the goal even happened, but I'm also not feeling a ton of sympathy for Boston as the Avs have gotten jobbed way, way worse by this idiotic rule.

Anyway, goals from MacKinnon (his first of the season), Bellemare, Burakovsky (his first of the season, and a beauty at that), and Landeskog with an empty-netter.

So far the Avs are somewhat fortunate to be 3-0, but on the bright side, they haven't played anywhere near their potential, and are still winning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:54 pm 

Well, 4-0-0 despite some very obvious flaws that need to be worked out. The team is still not quite "there" yet. But it's nice to see a few good things.

Kadri scores his first as an Av and it was a beauty.

Burakovsky with two GWGs on the year so far, and both of them were quite nice. Definitely can see why so many can be frustrated with him. The talent is obvious, if he can just show more consistency and a willingness to skate through traffic...he would be a well-established star by now.

Girard and Makar have been phenomenal thus far. Makar has had points to start his rookie season in all four games.

Goaltending has not quite been elite, but it's been more than good enough. Pavel Francouz earned his first NHL win last night.

Some pretty bad defensive breakdowns, special teams struggles, and the fact that Nathan MacKinnon still looks like he's not quite in fighting form yet are the biggest things holding the team back. But hey, they're undefeated thus far, and they won their latest in OVERTIME, which is quite something given their struggles in that particular area the last two seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm 

5-0-0, this time a 6-3 win against the Caps, but boy did the Avs go out of their way to make this one interesting.

The Avs went up 4-0 in the first, scored their first three goals on their first three shots and chased Holtby. But then came out weak in the 2nd, and even after going up 5-2 STILL made things way too close. It was nearly 5-4 with 2 minutes left in the game, but then that last Caps goal got called back on account of offside.

Now the offsides challenge is presenting yet another problem, linesmen are getting super-lax now. The zone entry was WAY off, and it should've been whistled dead easily. The officials should not be waiting for the coach to challenge something like that. This is still a shitty rule, but now it's seriously making the officiating worse, not better.

Anyway, not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Despite some continued problems, the Avs remain undefeated. Nice start to a very difficult (and really long) road trip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:49 pm 

If I had to pick a GDT title for tonight's tilt in Pittsburgh it'd probably be "Spray something, your Aston really Reese".

It's Pens/Avs, the winner gets absolute rule over Cole Harbour for a month.

Bednar shoving Nikita Zadorov into the press box for this one, despite a highlight-reel goal against the Caps on Monday. He's just one of those guys you can't treat with the kid gloves. I imagine this is definitely his final season in Colorado. He's a fan-favorite, and despite the move toward a faster, more skilled game, there's something to be said about a stay-at-home guy who bring the physicality and is at least fast enough to keep up with the opposition's top scorers. He'll probably command a decent paycheck next year, but not with the Avs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
"Spray something, your Aston really Reese".

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
"Spray something, your Aston really Reese".

:shock:

Still not as bad as "Hot Carle."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:52 am 

Well...the 82-0 dream is dead. Avs are now 5-0-1. Shorthanded goal in OT given up. Ugh.

Oh well, both MacKinnon and Crosby exchanged nice-looking goals, though Sid's was just plain awesome.

Patric Hornqvist is a glorified goon. Can't stand that Swedish troll.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:10 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Well...the 82-0 dream is dead. Avs are now 5-0-1. Shorthanded goal in OT given up. Ugh.

Oh well, both MacKinnon and Crosby exchanged nice-looking goals, though Sid's was just plain awesome.

Patric Hornqvist is a glorified goon. Can't stand that Swedish troll.

2nd coming of Ulf.........yeah that Crosby goal was just awesome........well Pitt through some chippy play at them and they weathered the storm......Kadri missing a check into the bench was particularly amusing (he's still a turd). Ian Cole made his presence felt in attempting to replicate Hornqvist's hit and spending time in the box. Makar is going to be something else...

I told the old girl watch now that they are on NBCSN tonight they will lay a dud. She was just happy that after several years I have added the Avalanche to the Bud Red Light for her. Set the bar low Gents!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:41 pm 

Yeah they tend not to do so hot in the big spotlight IIRC.

One thing's for sure--they will be or are already looking to try and snag a decent scoring winger for the 2nd line. The Tyson Jost experiment has already ended in failure. Not sure what they end up doing with him, but I don't even think he'll be much beyond a marginal 4th liner. Big time whiff on a 10th overall pick for a team that really couldn't afford one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:16 am 

Wow...stunning 6-2 victory over the Bolts, the 2nd of a back-to-back, AND they had rookie backup netminder Pavel Francouz in net going against the reigning Vezina Trophy winner at the other end of the ice.

On top of that, Tyson Jost, who I've been shitting on these past few games, scored a hat trick.

It's not much of a stat but it's still surprising that Ryan McDonagh was a -4 on the night. And he assisted on at least one of the TB goals so that means the Avs scored while he was defending five times. Based on a cursory glance, his play to start the season is a big reason Tampa's sputtering out of the gate a bit.

From the powerhouse bolts to the defending Stanley Cup champs on Monday. They don't tend to fare well against the Blues, but then again they didn't beat Tampa once last season, so we'll see if the worm has turned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:21 am 
King of Men

Let's talk about Jost....He's got good wheels but questionable stick handling (reminds me of Rico Fata). He played the off wing in this game and holy Bednar it seemed to work. I was surprised with this game....I expected more out of Tampa but as I told the old girl I think the Avs are catching teams sleeping on them early in the season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 am 
Big in Japan

Tampa's looked off so far. Maybe they realize it's not how you start but how you finish...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:03 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Let's talk about Jost....He's got good wheels but questionable stick handling (reminds me of Rico Fata). He played the off wing in this game and holy Bednar it seemed to work. I was surprised with this game....I expected more out of Tampa but as I told the old girl I think the Avs are catching teams sleeping on them early in the season.

Actually I think his wheels are pretty average. He has decent (but not elite) hands and a pretty good (but again, not elite) release. That's the problem, his skating is pretty average, and he's just not a big guy, so getting separation is a real problem for him at the NHL level. He also can't work along the boards at all.

He's always worked really well with his two closest friends on the team, J.T. Compher and Alexander Kerfoot. They all lived together for a time so they knew each other very well. Bednar would sometimes put all three of them out there for a shift or two if the team needed a boost. They were called the "Roomies" line. Obviously Kerf is gone now, but JTC and Jost still appear to click very well.

I'm still very, very skeptical about his prospects as an impact NHL player, which is a shame because he's about the most likable guy on the roster. I still think this saga ends with him traded for help up front.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:54 pm 

First regulation loss of the season to the defending Stanley Cup champs, but more concerning was Mikko Rantanen's awkward fall to the ice where he leg bent in a way that's not supposed to happen. They're holding off any announcements until next practice, so I am hoping/assuming that means it's not anything devastating.

Anyway, they're 7-1-1 and even with that record not playing as well as we know they can. Both Cale Makar and Nathan MacKinnon still don't look 100% and both are still putting up gobs of points. They'll need to if Rants is out for an extended period of time.

15 points thus far. That's good enough for 2nd in the league and also the 2nd-best goal differential (+12) in the league as well. I've still got concerns but to bitch about this start would be asinine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:32 pm 

In typical NHL fashion, the team states that Mikko is "week-to-week with a lower-body injury."

On one hand, if it really were an injury requiring surgery, then they'd say so, Bednar did state that they don't think it's gonna be 4-to-6 weeks or anything like that.

On the other hand, a couple years back both Mark Barberio and Sven Andrighetto were designated "week to week" and practically missed the entire season.

I'm gonna cling to the positive here though...either way though he's missing time, and that sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:43 pm 

Oh boy...Avs are officially in a skid after a listless 3-0 loss to the Coyotes. No Rantanen, no Landeskog, and no one else really stepping up to fill the void.

Jared Bednar was about as close to enraged as I've seen him following the 2-1 loss to Dallas the night before. Unfortunately him calling out some players publicly did not have the desired effect.

It's early yet, and shit like this happens to even the best of teams, but this ain't fun to watch.

Oh, and some good news...Altitude came to terms with DirecTV while I was in Mexico and so now I actually CAN watch them, uh, not play well. :suprisedtoangry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next