OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
That's a mistake. He's a playoff guy that you need. He singlehandedly made the Flames gun shy. Send Girard packing!

Yes and no. He can turn it on in stretches and become an absolute bull on the ice but the majority of his shifts he just kinda floats around and makes terrible decisions with the puck.

I agree they should probably keep him for the postseason, then move on. I suppose it comes down to how big they want to go this deadline and what the price is. If they can get a legit top-four defender and that team is asking for Zads, then I say do it.

Avs got the day started trading for Vladislav Namestnikov, who will probably center the 2nd line to start until Naz is healthy again. Good defensive guy who is no stranger to playing up in the lineup. J.T. Compher simply wasn't gettin' it done as the 2C, so this is a good move IMO, especially since they're not even giving up a pick from this year's draft (4th rounder in 2021).

Avs also get their #3 goalie in Michael Hutchinson by sending back minor league defender Calle Rosen, who they originally got in the Naz/Barrie deal. I'm not thrilled with that deal as I don't like Hutchinson at all, even before his disastrous stint in Toronto, but the alternative was relying on rookie Adam Werner and career minor leaguer Hunter Miska, who started out the year in the ECHL.

Joe may not be done yet, we'll see.. about 1:30 to go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:50 pm 

Boy sure looks like Tyson Jost is staying put. That's annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:48 pm 

Super GM Joe held a presser, I didn't listen/watch but I'm told he did a little damage control with Tyson Jost (pumped his tires a bit and also said he never intended to trade #17...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight) and reaffirmed his confidence in the team. So in essence, just normal GM-speak. No big deal.

Avs fans are kind of divided over the team doing very little at the deadline, I'm largely okay with it, especially given the exorbitant prices (seriously...1st rounder for Barclay Goodrow!?) but really think they missed out on a very cheap add with Dylan DeMelo. It would've cost a freakin' third rounder and he would have immediately slotted into the 2nd pairing spot alongside Girard, leaving a pretty formidable top four.

In any event, a whole ton of prospects should be ready for NHL spots in the fall of 2020. For now, they Avs appear content with sitting back and seeing how this plays out. I'm okay with that, though I can, to a certain extent, understand the frustration.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:21 pm 

Also, both Sakic and Bednar said the top guys on the injured list should be back around mid-March.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:58 pm 

Look Kaut! Martin scores his first NHL goal!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:28 pm 

Avs have a back-to-back, first in Carolina and then in Nashville. Big debate is which one does Bednar put in Leafs fan-favorite Michael Hutchinson? Avs are (surprisingly) a much better defensive team than the Leafs, but they're obviously not without flaws, so Hutch can't be lettin' in any softies, no matter who it is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:55 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Avs are (surprisingly) a much better defensive team than the Leafs, but they're obviously not without flaws, so Hutch can't be lettin' in any softies, no matter who it is.
Aren't most team better defensively than the Leafs? They can almost score at will but Andersen is a great goaltender and is getting shelled which I would argue has a lot to do with the D-corps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:41 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Aren't most team better defensively than the Leafs? They can almost score at will but Andersen is a great goaltender and is getting shelled which I would argue has a lot to do with the D-corps.

Freddy is honestly one of the most divisive goalies I've ever seen. He puts up great numbers but he is also prone to VERY bad lulls. He let in a goal last night against the Cats that was beyond awful. He's lucky his team battled back and that the goalie at the other end of the ice was worse than he was.

I think Freddy is...good. Sometimes very good. But not elite. And until the Leafs figure themselves out defensively they kinda need an elite netminder. No easy answers in Toronto unfortunately.

As for Hutch, I don't know. He also gave up some real stinkers. If he truly plays for the Avs like he did for the Leafs, this little experiment will not last long. Doesn't matter how good the defense is in front of you, ya gotta stop them shots.

One thing the Avs seemingly excel at is clearing rebounds, which Francouz serves up very handily. I don't know exactly what Hutch's problems are but based on what little I've seen, rebound control isn't one of them. He just needs to stop pucks properly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:31 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Freddy is honestly one of the most divisive goalies I've ever seen. He puts up great numbers but he is also prone to VERY bad lulls. He let in a goal last night against the Cats that was beyond awful. He's lucky his team battled back and that the goalie at the other end of the ice was worse than he was.

I think Freddy is...good. Sometimes very good. But not elite. And until the Leafs figure themselves out defensively they kinda need an elite netminder. No easy answers in Toronto unfortunately.

As for Hutch, I don't know. He also gave up some real stinkers. If he truly plays for the Avs like he did for the Leafs, this little experiment will not last long. Doesn't matter how good the defense is in front of you, ya gotta stop them shots.

One thing the Avs seemingly excel at is clearing rebounds, which Francouz serves up very handily. I don't know exactly what Hutch's problems are but based on what little I've seen, rebound control isn't one of them. He just needs to stop pucks properly.
This post prompted me to pose the question: what constitutes an "elite" NHL goaltender? So I searched goaltenders with a save % of .918 or higher with more than 10 seasons in the league (criteria my own). Bold denotes currently active. DQ denotes less than 10 seasons. (stats courtesy of Hockey Reference)

1. Dominek Hasek .9223
2. Johnny Bower .9219
3. Tukka Rask . 9216
4. Ken Dryden .9215
5. Ben Bishop .9206
6. Tim Thomas .9199
7. Jaques Plante .9196
8. Roberto Luongo .9187
9. Andrei Vasilevsky .9186 - DQ
10. John Gibson .9183 - DQ

11. Henrik Lundqvist .9181
12. Robin Lehner .9179 (!!!!)
13. Cory Schneider .9177
14. Carey Price .9176
15. Pekka Rinne .9175
15. Corey Crawford .9175
17. Sergei Bobvrosky .9170

**Patty Roy sits at #55 with .9102 and he is widely considered to be the GOAT but I base that on playoff success -- and since we are looking more at the modern game, it's hard to fit him into this thought experiment. Definitely need to do an analysis purely on playoff victories, SC wins and SV%. That's next on the docket.

Amongst active goaltenders under the above criteria and rounding up, we have 1. Ben Bishop, 2. Henrik Lundqvist, 3. Robin Lehner, 4. Cory Schneider, 5. Carey Price, 6. Pekka Rinne, 7. Corey Crawford , with an honorable mention to Sergei Bobvrosky. Surprised that Robin Lehner made this list but MAF did not - impressive deadline pick up by Vegas.

Freddie currently sits 22nd all time at .916 with 7 seasons under his belt (this season's .906 has brought him under the bar), tied with Braden Holtby (whom I would not consider to be elite).

I would argue he's knocking on the door SV% wise but the jury is still out. Not sure he's as divisive as much as he is unproven. This post season and next three seasons will be key indicators of has status. If he can eliminate the odd "bad game", he should get there. But he also needs to steal a playoff serIes. The Leafs better get the D corps together - which invites another question: how much weight do we give to goaltenders who "play on a great team". :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:51 pm 

Bit of a questionable hit by Zadorov on Dzingel late in the first. No call. Wonder if the league will take a look at it. Probably not, but he was in a compromising position and it was late.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:03 am 

Bit of a questionable hit by Zadorov on Dzingel late in the first. No call. Wonder if the league will take a look at it. Probably not, but he was in a compromising position and it was late.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. I don't consider him to be a dirty player but I'm still shocked as hell that he's never been suspended. Even by the lax and arbitrary standards of the DOPS I woulda thunk he got dinged at some point. Regardless, it was dangerous.

Another day, another ugly win. This time against the Hurricanes in Carolina. Blew a 2-goal lead in the 3rd but Sammy Girard gets the GWG, the first of his career.

Frankie was outstanding even though he gave up one to Teravainen he'd probably want to have back. He's particularly vulnerable to rushing forwards coming down to his right for some weird reason. Regardless, he faced nearly 50 shots tonight and only let in 2.

Tonight was a perfect distillation of how "luck" can play into a game. Canes absolutely DOMINATED possession, but simply could not get the puck into the net, and they came damn close a ton of times. Conversely, the Avs didn't get a lot of great looks but capitalized on a couple transition turnovers and roofed it past Forsberg.

Biggest story of the night was Tyson Jost who FINALLY got the monkey off his back with two goals. He's had two amazing games since not getting traded at the deadline. Maybe Jost's peace of mind was the Avs' big acquisition this week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:29 pm 

In other good news, it sounds like the Avs' top two prospects, Alex Newhook and some kid named Bowen Byram, are doing quite well for themselves.

Newhook hit the 40-point mark the other night (19G 21A) in 32 games. He's currently leading NCAA freshman and is the 12th U19 player to reach 40 points in the last 10 NCAA seasons. Among the others who have done that are Eichel, Boeser, and Larkin. All but two of those other 11 players are everyday NHLers.

Byram is 11-37-48 in 46 GP and he will definitely see some postseason action. Not a bad pair of 1st round selections in 2019.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:14 am 

Really don't want to here good things about Av's prospects. It seems to me they'll be the team everyone in the west will have to go through for the next 5+ years, don't need to extend it any longer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:

This post prompted me to pose the question: what constitutes an "elite" NHL goaltender? So I searched goaltenders with a save % of .918 or higher with more than 10 seasons in the league (criteria my own). Bold denotes currently active. DQ denotes less than 10 seasons. (stats courtesy of Hockey Reference)

1. Dominek Hasek .9223
2. Johnny Bower .9219
3. Tukka Rask . 9216
4. Ken Dryden .9215
5. Ben Bishop .9206
6. Tim Thomas .9199
7. Jaques Plante .9196
8. Roberto Luongo .9187
9. Andrei Vasilevsky .9186 - DQ
10. John Gibson .9183 - DQ

11. Henrik Lundqvist .9181
12. Robin Lehner .9179 (!!!!)
13. Cory Schneider .9177
14. Carey Price .9176
15. Pekka Rinne .9175
15. Corey Crawford .9175
17. Sergei Bobvrosky .9170

**Patty Roy sits at #55 with .9102 and he is widely considered to be the GOAT but I base that on playoff success -- and since we are looking more at the modern game, it's hard to fit him into this thought experiment. Definitely need to do an analysis purely on playoff victories, SC wins and SV%. That's next on the docket.

Amongst active goaltenders under the above criteria and rounding up, we have 1. Tukka Rask, 2. Ben Bishop, 3. Henrik Lundqvist, 4. Robin Lehner, 5. Cory Schneider, 5. Carey Price, 6. Pekka Rinne, 7. Corey Crawford , with an honorable mention to Sergei Bobvrosky. Surprised that Robin Lehner made this list but MAF did not - impressive deadline pick up by Vegas.

Freddie currently sits 23rd all time at .916 with 7 seasons under his belt (this season's .906 has brought him under the bar), tied with Braden Holtby (whom I would not consider to be elite).

I would argue he's knocking on the door SV% wise but the jury is still out. Not sure he's as divisive as much as he is unproven. This post season and next three seasons will be key indicators of has status. If he can eliminate the odd "bad game", he should get there. But he also needs to steal a playoff serIes. The Leafs better get the D corps together - which invites another question: how much weight do we give to goaltenders who "play on a great team". :lol:

Great analysis....but Tukka Rask is #1...... ;) No, really, you missed that so let me help you.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:45 pm 
Big in Japan

Montreal media people have put the pieces together and believe Bergevin was in Colorado before the deadline scouting a potential Drouin deal, as was speculated at the time. Perhaps it will be revisited this offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:54 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Montreal media people have put the pieces together and believe Bergevin was in Colorado before the deadline scouting a potential Drouin deal, as was speculated at the time. Perhaps it will be revisited this offseason.

I'm really not a Drouin fan, but...whatever. Dude has talent, that can't be denied, but I just don't know if he's a legit star in the NHL. His defensive numbers are abominable and his offensive numbers IMO don't offset that nearly enough. Also, dude gets hurt and I don't love his attitude. But whatever...if Bergy is willing to sell low on the guy I'm fine with it, at least it'll finally quiet down the constant yammering online about The Great Halifax Mooseheads Reunion once and for all.

If I'm Sakic, I want Danault. That said, he'd be expensive, probably Newhook or a first, or both.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I'm really not a Drouin fan, but...whatever. Dude has talent, that can't be denied, but I just don't know if he's a legit star in the NHL. His defensive numbers are abominable and his offensive numbers IMO don't offset that nearly enough. Also, dude gets hurt and I don't love his attitude. But whatever...if Bergy is willing to sell low on the guy I'm fine with it, at least it'll finally quiet down the constant yammering online about The Great Halifax Mooseheads Reunion once and for all.

If I'm Sakic, I want Danault. That said, he'd be expensive, probably Newhook or a first, or both.

Drouin is a complementary guy, but he's also locked in at a complementary cap hit for his prime years, so I still think he's a good value.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:57 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Drouin is a complementary guy, but he's also locked in at a complementary cap hit for his prime years, so I still think he's a good value.

That's a good point. I suppose a playmaker of his ability would look pretty decent alongside MacKinnon or Kadri. We'll see what happens.

Michael Hutchinson is set to make his Avalanche debut tonight in Motor City against the Red Wings.

Pavel Francouz won 3rd Star of the Week honors, a week after winning 1st Star of the Week. I don't remember the last time that happened for an Avs player.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:16 am 

Holy fuckin' shit that was a horrible game. There are city council meetings that were more fun than THAT.

Wings are clearly in DGAF mode, and really, who could blame them? Bernier played admirably enough.

Michael Hutchinson gets the win on his 30th birthday, and he barely had to break a sweat. 17 saves on 18 shots, but some of those saves were big ones.

CALE MAKAR joins the walking wounded, sat this one out with an injury. Avs thankfully did not need him for this one.

Namestnikov and O'Connor with the goals for the Avs. Somehow they're still getting it done with MacKinnon slumping and everyone else hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:41 pm 

A pretty frustrating OTL to the Ducks last night, but it's not the end of the world, even though I kinda acted like it was (shut up, LP). :lol:

Avs outplayed the Ducks by a pretty large degree but kept dinging shots off the post and Miller had a good performance.

Nikita Zadorov was on the ice for all 3 Ducks goals, and the 3rd one, a PPG scored with ONE SECOND REMAINING on the penalty, was a really bad look for him. He was benched for the remainder of the game after that. It's a foregone conclusion he will be gone after this season, it just remains as to how he departs. He's RFA, so the Avs could still maybe get something of value if they trade his rights.

The worst part was that this team once again just cannot for the life of them figure out 3-on-3 OT. This time they played quite well and put a bunch of shots on net, then Rickard Rakell walks down the right side and fires a "whatever" shot from distance and it goes in with ONE SECOND REMAINING in OT.

Avs, despite injuries, have been kinda lucky this year. This was apparently the "karmic backlash" game. Hopefully that's done and over with.

Martin Kaut was returned to Loveland today, ostensibly because they want his ELC to slide one more year. Totally understandable, he will be with the team full time next season. He more than proved his worth as an NHL in this short stint.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next