OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:35 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I don't think things are looking particularly great for the Avs now that Marner signed for big-time dough and both Tkachuk and Point took bridge deals. Avs really can't afford to bridge Rantanen--that would make both his and MacKinnon's deals expire at the same time, and I just don't think there's any way they keep both if that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:43 pm 

Bowen Byram gets sent back to Vancouver. He won't get a look at the NHL after all.

It does definitely have something to do with his struggles in the preseason, but there's also insane depth at the position. Avs will have to figure out what to do with guys like Mark Barberio, Ryan Graves, Calle Rosen, and Conor Timmins, and that's even taking into consideration that Ian Cole won't be ready until December. It's assumed both Rosen and Timmins get sent down since they're waiver-exempt but...both Timmins and Rosen have made strong cases to stay. Wonder if they'll risk sending one or both through waivers to make room. Probably not both.

Avs also win another preseason game. Yay.

Mikko's been quoted as saying a deal is coming but Dater is saying they're not close. At least they're talking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm 

Shit...totally forgot about Kevin Connauton. There's ANOTHER defenseman on the depth chart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:33 pm 
King of Men

Old girl is trying to drag me to the home opener.........I don't think I've fully recovered from my trauma during the playoffs. Maybe I leave the jersey at home if I go...... :eek:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 pm 

Avs make a minor trade, but address a pretty major need in the process by sending D-man Nicolas Meloche to San Jose for goalie Antoine Bibeau. It's assumed Bibeau will be that "veteran goalie" for the Eagles, with prospect Adam Werner as the backup. Thing is, at first glance, Bibeau's numbers aren't exactly great, but I'm about the worst person to evaluate goalies.

So the depth chart rounds out like this in goal.

Avalanche:
Philipp Grubauer
Pavel Francouz

Eagles:
Antoine Bibeau
Adam Werner

Grizzlies:
Hunter Miska

That's actually not bad, though most of us were kinda/sorta hoping for a more established veteran #3 since the current starting tandem is pretty green.

As for Meloche...yet another failure by the Avalanche developmental staff. Big kid, right-handed with a heavy shot from the point, it was hoped he'd round out into a good third-pairing guy who could put up some points, but he had a pretty bad showing in camp/preseason. That may have been what prompted this move, that and the influx of defensive depth this offseason.

That leaves Mikko Rantanen as the only holdover from the 2015 draft class. I mean, hey, at least they got HIM, but otherwise that's a pretty poor showing. 2016 isn't looking much better. Despite some inroads, the Avs' drafting record has not improved substantially since Rick Pracey got fired.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:32 am 

Yes! It's over! Six years, $9.25 million per for the big Finnish winger.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/277 ... -555m-deal

That's a full roster, folks.

Oh and the Avs drop their final preseason game 4-3 in a shootout with the Stars, but who the hell cares! Mikko's back!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:36 pm 
Big in Japan

E.L. wrote:
My guess: 5 years, 9.75M AAV, signed next week.

Pretty close! Even better deal for the team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:47 pm 

E.L. wrote:
E.L. wrote:
My guess: 5 years, 9.75M AAV, signed next week.

Pretty close! Even better deal for the team.

Nice guess! I think it works out quite well for both sides. Man, were people freaking out about this as the days before the season were counting down. :lol: Normally I'm one of them but I told myself I'd only go into panic mode if the regular season started and there still wasn't a deal.

Some more cuts, none too shocking. Anthony-John Greer unfortunately gets put on waivers, I think any chance he had of making the Avs is now gone for good. I don't think he's an NHL player. He's a very good AHL vet who just can't seem to make that transition from top-line guy in the minors to 4th line guy in the NHL.

Kevin Connauton, acquired in the Carl Soderberg deal, also gets put on the wire. I thought for sure he'd be one of the third-pairing guys with Ian Cole out. Dude's got an amazing shot from the point that just finds its way into the net, but he doesn't have much else going for him.

That leaves 15 forwards and 9 defensemen on the roster...some tough decisions coming up. Jayson Megna has had a shockingly good showing in the preseason and might just make the team. Then there's Calle Rosen and Conor Timmins. It may come down to who's waiver exempt and who isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:49 pm 

Oops...scratch that. Megna's on waivers. There really wasn't any room for him on the roster, but I thought they just might try and sneak Vlad Kamenev through.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:34 pm 

Mikko gets a warm welcome:
https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/11 ... 1946918912

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:17 am 

Jared Bednar said that even though both Connauton and Megna were waived and (I think) cleared, they're still in play to make the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:59 am 

So how about that. Calle Rosen, Kevin Connauton, and Jayson Megna all get assigned to the Colorado Eagles in Loveland. Which means...Conor Timmins will be on the opening night roster. I get it, I'm convinced the plan was to start him in the minors after missing a full year of hockey...but the guy was just too damned good.

Roster sits at 23 players, which also means Valeri Nichushkin and Vladislav Kamenev also made the opening night roster.

Ian Cole was put on IR, but he may be back sooner than December.

So the good news is that this is, at least on paper, the best Avs team in roughly 15 years. It's most definitely the best Avs team in the last decade.

The bad news is, at present, I have no real means to watch them play since, y'know, Altitude got yanked off of DirecTV. You can bet your ass I'm gonna bootleg it if I have to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:12 am 
King of Men

I was talking to the old girl about this this morning. This is a great looking team full of kids and hope. Good time to be an Avs fan. Good time to be an Avs player in a town without the spotlight and limited expectations. Now that may change since the Broncos suck so bad but I doubt it. Nuggets will probably take over.

:eng101: .....see the OTL for your solution.