OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:32 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/25/m ... do-return/

Matt Duchene returns to Denver for the first time since the blockbuster deal that sent him to Ottawa.

The Avs have some very, very interesting things to say coming into this one.

Quote:
“I’m sure some of our fans love him, some of them don’t,” Avs coach Jared Bednar said. “I’m sure the players have motivation with Matt coming back in and would like to show them what type of team we’ve become.”

Whoa...did not expect that from the normally laconic Bednar.

Avs should be doing some sort of video tribute during the game, and it will be interesting what the fan reaction will be. I imagine he'll get a warm reception, but not overly so. Really, as I've maintained, I've no ill will toward the guy. He was loyal to the Avs organization to a fault, until he got the cold shoulder from coaching and management and ultimately decided to request a trade (which would've happened anyway IMO). Some say he quit on the team, I say bullshit. He suffered through nearly a decade of incompetent management and bad coaching, he deserved so much better. Hope whatever happens going forward he has a long and successful career.

Can't say the same about Ryan O'Reilly though. Get stuffed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:11 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Kind of a rollercoaster tonight. Avs start out completely and utterly flat and give up the game's first goal. They do a quick PA announcement during a TV timeout to acknowledge Duchene, he gets mostly cheers and a smattering of boos, he acknowledges the crowd, then promptly scores a goal to put the Sens up 2-0, which leads to boos raining down. Sammy Girard scores the first goal for an Avs defender this season, but then who else, Matt Duchene scores again to put Ottawa up 3-1. Then, finally, the Avs top line takes over and proceeds to rattle off 5 unanswered goals to win 6-3, Landeskog with the game-winner.

Mikko Rantanen takes over the league scoring lead.

Glad this one's out of the way.

Oh, and Matt Duchene has now officially scored against all 31 NHL teams. Avs were, of course, the last one remaining.