OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:56 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

That MacKinnon / Rantanen combo is looking pretty fierce. How did Dahlin look over 60 minutes?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
That MacKinnon / Rantanen combo is looking pretty fierce. How did Dahlin look over 60 minutes?

I missed the game so I didn't see. He recorded his first NHL point last night with Buffalo's lone goal.

I'm told he's their best defenseman, but that ain't sayin' much. Scandella coughed it up on that Rantanen-to-MacKinnon laser, and Ristolainen, who I think is going to set a modern-day NHL record for breakaways given up, still looks lost. People keep telling me he's good but I've yet to see how.

Buggalo's still got a looooooooooooong ways to go. I'm still in disbelief that a team that stripped themselves so utterly bare just three years ago are in cap hell with so many bad contracts. One thing I guess I can credit the Avs and their sometimes miserly ways--they didn't get into too much trouble as far as bad signings go. They definitely have had some albatrosses over the years but nothing that will stick on the payroll until I'm retirement age.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:31 am 

Blew it :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 pm 

Yep, that was an epic choke job.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:46 am 

Avs with their worst effort in a long while, playing the first like they owned it and then just falling asleep after a big hit by Sam Bennett on J.T. Compher. I don't recall the last time momentum shifted that dramatically in a game before. If not for Semyon Varlamov the Avs wouldn't have even gotten a point.

Bednar tried out new lines in practice today.

Top line stayed the same (duh)
Compher - Kerfoot - Wilson
Jost - Soderberg - Calvert
Bourque - Kamenev -Nieto

Jost showed some early hop but it's still not coming together. Nieto and Bourque have more or less been a shitshow, so them being demoted is no surprise. The new 2nd line of JTC-Kerf-Wilson may or may not work, we'll see. This is still a young team and a team still trying to figure out their secondary scoring issues.

I must say Matt Calvert is a much better player than I thought he was. Fast, and despite the fact he's not a big guy he sure can lay down some big hits. I didn't like the signing at the time it happened but he's changing my mind quickly. Now if Vlad Kamenev can just show some signs of the player the pundits project him to be I'll be thrilled.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 pm 

Avs claim winger Marko Dano off waivers from the Jets. There was talk of this guy becoming a real impact player in the league over the years since he was drafted but I think we can say he probably won't be that guy. However he could be a perfectly capable bottom six forward, and that's what the Avs really need right now with Gabe Bourque and Matt Nieto currently shitting the bed to start the season. Dude is small, fast, and scrappy, which fits the current Colorado makeup up front.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:10 pm 

Very concerning news about Conor Timmins, who was expected to compete for a spot in the NHL team's lineup going into camp this year, is now being sent home indefinitely. Still battling PCS symptoms.

Avs fans have seen this movie before.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm 

:roll: The league needs to do more to protect it's players, it's as simple as that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:58 pm 

:roll: The league needs to do more to protect it's players, it's as simple as that.

Well...Timmins' concussion was the result of a play in the Memorial Cup that appeared to be a clean hit. Timmins should have done more to prepare for it. The hit that laid out Joey Hishon in the Memorial Cup was a flat-out dirty, targeted hit by noted cheap shot artist Brayden McNabb. In any event, the league needs to quit letting lawyers tell them what to do when it comes to head trauma and listen to doctors.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:43 pm 

To quote a fictional Bob Gainey...goddamn motherfucking shit.

JT Compher, out to a rollicking start and clearly trying to put a decidedly meh rookie season beset by injuries and illness behind him, is now out indefinitely with a head injury. He very likely got it when Sam Bennett drilled him in the last game against the Flames that turned the tide of that contest entirely. Very bad timing with Dano likely to miss tonight's contest against the Blueshirts and some other depth forwards (looking at you, Bourque and Nieto) not pulling their weight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:21 pm 

It's Ghetto time!

Sven slated to play this Thursday against the Devils.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 am 

I decided a while ago my next Avs jersey (now that they finally fixed the uniforms) would be Mikko Rantanen #96. I get the feeling I won't be the only one doing so.

The Top Line (and goaltending) continues to carry a squad that clearly isn't clicking elsewhere in the lineup. I suppose it's good to see that the Avs are off to a great start despite the fact that their top two defensemen are playing horribly right now.

Marko Dano made his Avalanche debut. He was a'ight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I decided a while ago my next Avs jersey (now that they finally fixed the uniforms) would be Mikko Rantanen #96. I get the feeling I won't be the only one doing so.

The Top Line (and goaltending) continues to carry a squad that clearly isn't clicking elsewhere in the lineup. I suppose it's good to see that the Avs are off to a great start despite the fact that their top two defensemen are playing horribly right now.

Marko Dano made his Avalanche debut. He was a'ight.
Interesting. They do seem to be flying high right now and scoring goals doesn't appear to be a problem. How's the Av's shot attempt differential thus far?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 pm 

Interesting. They do seem to be flying high right now and scoring goals doesn't appear to be a problem. How's the Av's shot attempt differential thus far?

Not good, they're still a black hole when it comes to possession. Part of that is the aforementioned Barrie and EJ playing not-good hockey right now, and part of it is the team as a whole just stops skating and plays soft, lazy, prevent-defense hockey. Major point of frustration for Avs fans for years now. Not sure if any coach can get them to quit doing that. We thought the tide might be turning when all four lines absolutely massacred the Minnesota Mild in every conceivable category for the season opener but it's been downhill in the metrics department since. Bednar has said flat-out that lines 2-4 are still a major work in progress--he hasn't found the right mix yet, and the one guy who actually was kicking serious ass in a depth role up front, J.T. Compher, is currently recovering from a concussion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Rantanen and MacKinnon near the top of the scoring leaderboard. They've got front line talent, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:19 pm 

I must say the Avs are looking real good so far. The top line is killing it, may become one of the best this year. Soderberg and Compher are off to nice starts too. Youngsters like Jost, Girard and Rantanen will keep improving. The D core is fairly balanced and has been surprisingly effective despite giving up a lot of shots. Varlomov is playing crazy good and Grubauer has been pretty good in a backup role. The team is still trending very good after the 47 point improvement last year. Bonus: No cap crunch coming for the next few years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 pm 

Just read that the Avs first line consists of a 1st, 2nd and 10th overall pick the eldest being Landeskog at 25. Impressive futility turned to gold.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 pm 

VHF wrote:
I must say the Avs are looking real good so far. The top line is killing it, may become one of the best this year. Soderberg and Compher are off to nice starts too. Youngsters like Jost, Girard and Rantanen will keep improving. The D core is fairly balanced and has been surprisingly effective despite giving up a lot of shots. Varlomov is playing crazy good and Grubauer has been pretty good in a backup role. The team is still trending very good after the 47 point improvement last year. Bonus: No cap crunch coming for the next few years.

Hey Alex!

Yes, very exciting time to be an Avs fan after so many years of futility, as Greg accurately put it. The best part for now is that some of the best talent is not even yet on the team in Martin Kaut, Igor Shvyrev, Pavel Francouz, Conor Timmins, and Cale Makar. And of course, Colorado has two first rounders in what appears to be a deep draft, especially for forward talent.

I do wish they'd play more aggressively and use their speed to the fullest advantage. Too often they just sit back and play soft, passive hockey. But...I digress. It's a fun, yet occasionally frustrating team to watch. Given how incredibly young they still are that's probably a very good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:07 pm 

Nice game against the Bolts last night that unfortunately ended in a 1-0 loss. Both goalies were superb, Avs actually scored the first goal of the game but it was called back because of the dumb offsides rule. But, until they rescind that rule, players have to be smarter. Tyson Jost tried to eyeball it and even slowed down to wait, but still managed to jump just a nanosecond too early. Coaches need to teach their players to drag that foot behind until they're 100% certain the player and puck have crossed, the minute they lift that back skate they've officially crossed the blue line.

Speaking of Jost, the hand-wringing continues. I personally think the Avs kinda botched his development, they rushed him in way too quickly and he's struggling. I'm also wondering if they made a mistake getting a guy who's not big, and also not fast, with the 10th overall pick in 2016. Reportedly Roy wanted big Logan Brown, but I think that would've been an even worse pick even if Jost doesn't pan out.

It's way, way too early to call it--the kid is still only 20 years old, but I have yet to see the player who was ripping clean one-timers at UND with linemate Brock Boeser back in the day. Right now he's playing with zero confidence and even struggling in a 4th line role. Might need some time in the minors to get himself righted.

Something about the makeup of this Avs team is a little off. Too many players in the lineup who can't handle the puck, other players really struggling with confidence right now. Bednar is struggling to find a lineup that works outside of that top line. It may require a call-up or two, as the Eagles are off to a rip-roaring start and a couple farmhands (coughcoughAJGreercough) should be ready to contribute at the NHL level.

I'm also over the Colin Wilson experiment. Dude just needs to go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:39 pm 

Avs have officially brought aboard skills teacher Shawn Allard as an assistant coach. I'm being told his specialty is skating, which makes me think this is very much a Tyson Jost-specific hiring, maybe even Vladislav Kamenev as well. Both of those guys are probably not moving with the swiftness the team would like them to move so I suppose if he gets them to add some jump to their game that's a plus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next