OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Seeing as how this season is essentially over, most Avs fans have switched to watching Cale Makar highlights.

https://twitter.com/UMassHockey/status/ ... 9502009344

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 am 
Big in Japan

Zadorov trade rumours picking up. I'd take him: stats give a sense he's a solid defenceman on a poor defensive team.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:34 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Zadorov trade rumours picking up. I'd take him: stats give a sense he's a solid defenceman on a poor defensive team.

I'm guessing he goes, and that will be a mistake by the Avs.

Zadorov is IMO a solid #4 defenseman or a really, really good third pairing guy. His plusses are that he can singlehandedly shift the momentum of a game with a big hit and/or big goal. For a stay-at-home guy he has a decent shot and above-average puck skills. On the other hand, consistency has eluded him up to this point. One night he'll have a game that makes you think he's a legit top-pairing guy who can do it all, the next he plays soft, lazy hockey and turns the puck over without much of a fight. I know he's only 23 but I think he'll always be that guy.

It all depends on a couple things IMO...whether the two sides can come to an agreement on a long-term deal (they struggled mightily on a bridge deal previously) and whether or not Jared Bednar remains as head coach, which is likely. I think it's pretty clear that relationship has become untenable. Someone (I think Dater) says the locker room is starting to turn on Bednar, and one guy has already submitted a trade request. It's a reasonable guess that guy is Zadorov.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:23 pm 

More intriguing to me right now is the hot stove talk about one Tyson Barrie. In terms of trade value he's a hot commodity--a right-shot defenseman who produces at an elite or near-elite level. Conversely, his defensive game has gone from bad to nonexistent this year, so whatever team gets him would be advised to have a well-rounded blueliner to pair him with. He has one year remaining on his current deal after this season and it stands to reason he'll be getting a substantial raise. There would be no better time to trade him than this offseason, I'm doubting anyone is willing to give up something huge at the deadline.

I used to be against trading him, especially with so many assuming Cale Makar and Sam Girard will replace the production he has consistently brought for nearly a decade. Right now I'm just kind of ambivalent about it. Just build a fucking winner already.

If the Avs trade him, he'll be the last of that gigantic 2009 draft haul the Avs had (Duchene, O'Reilly, Barrie) and failed to build around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 pm 

Jared Bednar officially makes his doomed-coach, let's-start-Geno-Smith-in-place-of-Eli-Manning move.

A power play unit featuring top-tier talent and three of the highest scoring forwards in the NHL has gone 0-for-23, which is an astounding number. The solution? Apparently...it's to take Nathan MacKinnon off and put him on the 2nd unit, and replace him with the one guy who might actually be struggling the most out of the top six forwards, J.T. Compher.

:roll:

I don't care if this actually works for one game and they score, like, four goals on the man advantage. This is bullshit.

Fire up the FIRE BEDNAR bandwagon...because I am done.

:bandwagon:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:45 am 

Wow...absolute STOMPING of the Winnipeg Jets last night at The Can, 7-1 final. And Connor Hellebuyck actually played well.

Avs end their 0-for-300 drought on the power play, which is hilarious because the Avs also scored two goals last night immediately following the expiration of power plays. And in fitting fashion, it was a one-timer blast from Nathan MacKinnon, which briefly tied him with Gabe Landeskog for the team lead with 30. Then Landeskog scored a beauty to jump to 31.

The decision was made to break up the top line completely and put each of them on their own line. The results have been remarkable thus far. I have no idea how long it'll last but the fact remains this team has finally won two games in a row in what feels like forever.

Absolutely ridiculous that the Avalanche could completely shit the bed for well over two months, be the NHL's worst team during that stretch, pick up a few OTL points (they're exceptional at that), win two measly frickin' games, and boom, they're officially in possession of a wild card spot again.

Much-maligned prospect A.J. Greer also picked up his first career NHL goal. He was one of seven different goal-scorers last night.

I honestly have NO idea what the Avs will do, or even should do at the deadline. Sakic's made it clear top prospects and those two first rounders aren't going anywhere. That means they'll be casting off or acquiring minor assets...or more likely, they'll do nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:19 am 

Avs play horrid defensively but get bailed out by their goalie in a 5-3 win against the streaking Blackhawks. Avs fans are pretty accustomed to that.

Honestly, NO idea what they end up doing between now and Monday...if anything.

Now they get to travel to Music City to play the Preds. Traditional logic dictates they start Grubauer but...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:00 am 

Was at a Best Picture marathon at the downtown theatre today, so I missed today's contest, a shocking 5-0 drubbing of the Preds IN NASHVILLE.

Philipp frickin' Grubauer with the shutout. Nathan MacKinnon with two Ovechkin-like bombs from the top of the left circle, and an assist. Landeskog also gets another goal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Avs gets Brassard basically for free. He'll try to rebuild his value before hitting the open market. He's a good last year and really good two years ago. Always liked his game, but being a third line centre in Pittsburgh did not suit him at all. Not sure he's a top 6 guy, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:35 pm 

They've had him playing a 2nd/3rd line winger spot, mostly alongside Carl Soderberg, but he's also seen time alongside Nathan MacKinnon.

So far I really like Brassard. Brings some speed/size/skill and two-way ability, and has a nose for the net. Got his first as an Avs player off a nice setup by Ryan Graves in what ended up being a losing effort in OT to Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:48 am 
King of Men

the old girl has me watching the Avs left and right this year. Props to Bednar as its McKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog and some pluggers up front (Kerfoot and Soderberg aren't scaring anybody). He doesn't have a lot to work with especially when its Nate charging the zone as a party of one when everyone is at least 5 feet behind him. At first I didn't like the splitting of lines but then I realized, hell, Nate doesn't pass the puck anyway and he can do his cavalry charge with or without wasting Rantanen and Landeskog. So I liked the signing of Brassard because it actually puts a dude with some potential in the depth chart and gives them the option of a second ACTUAL scoring line.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pm 

Yeah they finally seemed to put it back together a bit once Bednar broke up the big line completely, he still rotates them back together at even strength on occasion but for the most part keeps them apart and it's worked. Stabilization in goal has been the biggest and most obvious change, but it shouldn't be understated that the team was playing stagnant, one-dimensional hockey.

Ian Cole, after getting his orbital bone broken by Tom Wilson's mighty fist, re-enters the lineup. Ryan Graves sits. I can understand why Bednar chose the kid, especially since both Nemeth and Zadorov have played well of late, I still don't like it. They play the Sharks tonight in SJ, who will not have Karlsson nor Kane.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:34 pm 

Pretty frustrating series of events. They trade for Brassard, but then demote a bunch of the guys who were contributing and also scratch Ryan Graves in favor of penalty machine Ian Cole, who just got kicked out for a dirty hit for the second time this season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:51 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Pretty frustrating series of events. They trade for Brassard, but then demote a bunch of the guys who were contributing and also scratch Ryan Graves in favor of penalty machine Ian Cole, who just got kicked out for a dirty hit for the second time this season.
Yeah geez that looked rough. Suppose Kesler and the boys are up to their usual back alley tricks in this one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 am 

No excuses on this one--they had a chance to secure the top Wild Card spot this weekend and instead drop both contests. Half-assed effort both on and off the ice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:36 pm 

No further disciplinary action for Ian Cole, which actually doesn't sit well with an Avs fanbase that wanted him out of the lineup. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
No further disciplinary action for Ian Cole, which actually doesn't sit well with an Avs fanbase that wanted him out of the lineup. :lol:

I thought he was good at first?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I thought he was good at first?

Avs had a nine-game points streak that had them vying for the Central Division crown before December hit and the team nearly plummeted into the abyss. During that time, yeah, Cole was playing quite well, excellent in fact. But anyone with half a brain had to know that wasn't gonna last. Dude's been little more than a third-pairing guy his entire career. Their weird insistence on playing Nikita Zadorov in that spot (who BTW is the leading defender on the team in goals with 7) this season in what I'm convinced is a season-long attempt to lower the value of his next contract is proof positive this organization is more concerned with costs than it is with winning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:34 pm 

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -305364494

Avs sign 2017 4th round pick Nick Henry to an ELC. While he doesn't exactly project to be an NHL star, it'd be nice for the Avs to do what they haven't done in a good long while and develop a player picked past the 1st round in a given draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:15 pm 

Avalanche FINALLY win at 3-on-3 overtime for the first time this season. Ironically, I'm pretty sure the last time they did so, it was against the Wings. Previously, their only wins outside of regulation were in a 4-on-3 power play, and in the shootout.

Overall though I thought this was a pretty pathetic effort. Avs come out slow and uninspired and did not lead at any point during the game, they were chasing throughout. The re-insertion of Ian Cole and Colin Wilson has slowed the team down considerably, and the Avs went out of their way to hand over the game, even committing a goddamn too-many-men penalty in the closing minutes, where they promptly gave up a goal (Filip Zadina's first in the NHL, which managed to deflect off, you guessed it, Ian Cole).

The funny part is, last night's result was best-case scenario for the Avs, because the Wings got a point out of the festivities which kept the gap between them and the last-place Senators around four points (too lazy to look it up).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next